Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I only increased it to 100% because support were claiming that the mismatch of 80% in app and 80% in car may have been causing a mismatch. That night it charged to 100 instead of 80 so I won't make that mistake again.

It really is and i'm sure it won't last. Probably only while the product is in proper beta, sooner or later they will add a limit, they have to. Otherwise people that work nights and don't get home until 7am etc would be getting cheap electric all day.

No, its not that. Because last night the car was supposed to start at 3am and didn't. I had to wake it manually for it to start charging.

Yes GO might have worked for most, but for me I really struggled, which is part of the reason I switched to IO in the first place.

I'd LOVE to remove the car....but I can't lol. I'll show a screenshot further down to illustrate just how borked my account seems to be right now.

The intelligent octopus part of the app shows up for me after a few seconds too, unfortunately for whatever reason, there is now hardly anything inside of it.

Not at all. I am fully aware of what beta entails and have been in various different beta's for various different things over many years. My issue here is, when you are testing a beta product but still waiting weeks, if not months to get a response to a problem email. The two just don't work together like that. You need to be ontop of a beta product to releases fixes quickly and help support the people that are willing to test it for you.

I've attached a screenshot of what is inside my IO bit currently. I can't remember how it used to look exactly, but I know there was a toggle switch to turn IO on and off. As well as a remove car and reauthorize car option? Yeah all of them are gone lol.

I've tried logging out/in, deleting the app, rebooting, reinstalling. I was in the app beta program so I deregistered from that and downloaded an older version too, still no dice.
28325904-1E58-4673-A943-C800F42F1740.png
This is where it is in IOS

I've attached a screenshot of what is inside my IO bit currently. I can't remember how it used to look exactly, but I know there was a toggle switch to turn IO on and off. As well as a remove car and reauthorize car option? Yeah all of them are gone lol.
In IOS, this is what you should get (1st three screenshot images side by side)...

Top left -> Account & Settings -> Intelligent Octopus -> Smart Charging at the bottom & then toggle on-off
Removing car & restarting the process is on third screenshot 'Disconnect Device'
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG

The main screen should also show IO under 'Devices' (circled at the foot of the first image) which then shows if IO is enabled or disabled....
4.PNG

...if enabled then scheduling etc appears of course....

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    253.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    214.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
In general, you should have set 100% as the SOC limit on the IO app and 80% or whatever you need on the car. as car's limits supersedes what you set in IO app. In this case IO will try to charge up to 100% but it will be stopped by car itself..

You can remove your car from IO by changing your Tesla account password - IO and all other 3rd party apps (tessie, teslamate, etc) will be kicked out and you will have to re-login/re-add those again.

If you just don't add your IO app to your Tesla account with new password, it then just act as normal Go but with 6 hours because you are already on the IO tariff

then you can try to uninstall/reinstall IO app to sort it out

Saying that, I just wonder if you have changed your Tesla account password recently or at any point after adding it to IO?

In IOS, this is what you should get (1st three screenshot images side by side)...

Top left -> Account & Settings -> Intelligent Octopus -> Smart Charging at the bottom & then toggle on-off
Removing car & restarting the process is on third screenshot 'Disconnect Device'
View attachment 827391View attachment 827388View attachment 827392

The main screen should also show IO under 'Devices' (circled at the foot of the first image) which then shows if IO is enabled or disabled....
View attachment 827390

...if enabled then scheduling etc appears of course....
That's a really helpful post and I greatly appreciate the effort you have put in, unfortunately however if you look at my post previous to yours, when I click on Intelligent Octopus I get a page with all those options that were there originally, absent....

In general, you should have set 100% as the SOC limit on the IO app and 80% or whatever you need on the car. as car's limits supersedes what you set in IO app. In this case IO will try to charge up to 100% but it will be stopped by car itself..

You can remove your car from IO by changing your Tesla account password - IO and all other 3rd party apps (tessie, teslamate, etc) will be kicked out and you will have to re-login/re-add those again.

If you just don't add your IO app to your Tesla account with new password, it then just act as normal Go but with 6 hours because you are already on the IO tariff

then you can try to uninstall/reinstall IO app to sort it out

Saying that, I just wonder if you have changed your Tesla account password recently or at any point after adding it to IO?
Definitely not a password issue as it can stop the car charging, it's just not waking it up to charge later.

Good tip about changing my password though...I might have to try that, I'm just a bit worried because the app doesn't currently have any options showing to add a device etc etc....and if they don't show up after a reset I'm kind of boned 😂 or as you say stuck to using it like a longer go, which isn't idealy but could be far worse.

i think there is some connection to you account issue. Try to reset app. It is not working anyway as it should.

I would just completely uninstall it, then change pwd and add app again

Well just did that, it "fixed" the NAN% problem but still no way to toggle smart charging, add or remove my car.

Seeing as how I've changed my password I can't see anyway that it's going to work properly now so yeah, account issue sounds like the likely culprit

I'm going to message my daughter in Law and talk her through checking it on iPhone. Possibly the iOS app will still work?

They used to have such great customer service, at least for me. Shame.
Reality is it's a very tiny beta. The CS agents have no clue about it at all. Your best best is join the Octopus forums and participate in the IO thread. There are a couple of Octopus employees on there who can help you reset your IO app and account if needed.

Reality is it's a very tiny beta. The CS agents have no clue about it at all. Your best best is join the Octopus forums and participate in the IO thread. There are a couple of Octopus employees on there who can help you reset your IO app and account if needed.
I genuinely didn't even know they had forums! Thats extremely helpful thank you.

Edit: If I could find them....come on google.

Reactions: VX Foxy
Ah I did find that one! Eventually. But thought I needed an IO specific one.

I'll fire that email off now then. Thanks again mate :)
No problem there are some good dudes on there who helped me set up my Home Assistant integration/IO /house battery integration and the couple of Octopus employees are really helpful.

The issue of giving IO feedback to the team has been raised in the IO thread. I get the impression that the main devs for it are based in the US.