Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably already answered but it's pretty hard reading through 12 pages to find the answer, if I have Intelligent Octopus and it's assigned to my car, but my friend wants to charge their Tesla using my charger during the day as a one off, are there any issues?

I understand you can't have more than 1 car according to the FAQ from Octopus.

1659035827291.png

I decided to make the jump early to IO last night following the morning news of an even higher price cap than expected (49p/kWh up from current 28p now seems possible even probable!?)

I had already been using Guy Lipman's blogged Octopus smart meter data website to compare my current tariff to what I believed were possible future IO scenarios - 49p peak, 56p peak or 61p peak (I didn't mess with the 7.5p off peak rate tbh) - concluding that if the peak rate rose to anything above 49p then I would be better off switching early from my favourable old Go rates (13.7p and 5p) which end late Nov 22.

So I've started the switching process, which as I understand it locks in the rates (40.06p and 7.5p for my region) at point of sign up - is anyone able to confirm this please? My desktop Octopus account says they're still setting up my IO switch and that they need to book a smart meter exchange next, which is funny as I told them I had a SMETS2 on sign up and 5 lines above on my account dashboard they state I have a SMETS 2 meter with my current Go account.

Anyway, I've tried to do a test charge in the app and it throws up an 'uh oh something went wrong error' so I presume I'm waiting for someone to tick some boxes on the Octopus accounts back end to confirm my switch. However I find myself wondering if there is any timeline/deadline for me to complete the test charge in? I obviously wanted to lock in the 40p peak rate as above but if I could drag my feet for a few weeks or even say a month before completing the test charge to maximise my use of the cheaper Go rates yet still retain the 40p peak rate at point of sign up that would be ideal... Anyone able to shed any light on this? Or even I were simply to never complete a test charge, does it give up trying to switch at any point?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Warp9lecy
Probably already answered but it's pretty hard reading through 12 pages to find the answer, if I have Intelligent Octopus and it's assigned to my car, but my friend wants to charge their Tesla using my charger during the day as a one off, are there any issues?

I understand you can't have more than 1 car according to the FAQ from Octopus.

View attachment 833871
Strictly speaking, the T&Cs say "You have said that you have more than one car". At no point did I ever say any such thing, even though there are two cars on the drive. ;)

Reactions: Liquidv
My assumption is that they can’t manage two cars with their system. For Tesla they drive the charging through the car API so obviously you’re not going to be attaching your friend’s car to the API so just charge overnight during the regular window

Reactions: Liquidv
I currently have an EDD of Nov-Jan for a MY, electricity was transferred to BG when all the different companies went bust and not in a fixed rate.

Would it be worth me switching to IO, and if so what tariff would I choose and why? I gotta admit I am very much a newbie in relation to all this so any advice would be great thanks
👍

Currently with EDF due to moving house & energy company went bust.. have signed up to their goelectric tariff but they have no slots to install smart meters for more than a month

Ideally I want to be with octopus (they were great in my old place).. any idea if they prioritise installing smart meters etc for IO/go customers?

Have dropped them an email last week but not heard back yet..

Currently with EDF due to moving house & energy company went bust.. have signed up to their goelectric tariff but they have no slots to install smart meters for more than a month

Ideally I want to be with octopus (they were great in my old place).. any idea if they prioritise installing smart meters etc for IO/go customers?

Have dropped them an email last week but not heard back yet..
You can't get on IO or Go without a Smart Meter. I recently moved to Octopus and it was around 3 weeks to get a smart meter booking slot (though managed to bring it forward by calling the installer regularly and finding out about cancellations).

Only once it's up and reporting readings (can take up to a week) will Octopus out you on Go.

Factor in the week or so it took for the switch it'll be over a month to switch, get the smart meter and get onto IO or Go.

Any one on IO with Ohme wall charger? I tried switching in the app but didn't give me the Ohme option under the select charger pulldown.
Ohme are running their own beta for IO, which doesn't use the Octopus app

I’ve switched to IO as of today but I’m struggling to work out if they’ll pay SEG as I have Solar panels. I read that I can’t be on Octopus Go and export to the grid but I can’t find if that’s the same for IO. I’ve Googled and not found anything.

Does anyone know if IO supports SEG?

I’ve switched to IO as of today but I’m struggling to work out if they’ll pay SEG as I have Solar panels. I read that I can’t be on Octopus Go and export to the grid but I can’t find if that’s the same for IO. I’ve Googled and not found anything.

Does anyone know if IO supports SEG?
My understanding is that it (and Go) support SEG, but not the 'agile export' SEG where they pay variable rates. Best sent them an email to check though. Usually respond within 24hrs.

My understanding is that it (and Go) support SEG, but not the 'agile export' SEG where they pay variable rates. Best sent them an email to check though. Usually respond within 24hrs.
I managed to speak to a helpful chap at Octopus. If you have an import and separate export meter you can add Agile to IO. If not you can add their fixed export tariff. I didn’t ask about GO.

I need to research the export meter part as the solar installer told us that he had fitted a device that managed the import/export.

Anybody know what the quickest way to get a Smart Meter with Octopus energy?
From the account page there is a contact us request a Smart Meter/Register your interest but won't have a clue how long that would take? Months?