Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just moved to Intelligent and have been playing with the Octopus Energy API. Although it's very cool/interesting, I don't seem to be able to find a way to access information about which half hour slots I have been (or will be) charged at the cheap rate. I can find the generic prices which include the regular 6/18 hour slots but not the ones that are specific to me.

Anyone give me a pointer to where I might access this in the API?
I think the io.py script here has got the relevant API calls. I use this to start and stop my home battery so that extra slots don't drain from the battery when I'm charging the car.

Reactions: craigp
Hi, just found this thread, but a couple of days ago I emailed Octopus asking if we get 6 hours off peak electricity for the home only when the car is charging, so no clear times daily, or every day for the 6 hours.

This is the reply:
'Thank you for your email. Intelligent Octopus currently only works with Vehicle charging.

You get cheap electricity every night but smart charging can occur outside the fixed period and is always on the off peak rate
.'

Is this wrong then? Intelligent is the entire 6 hours for the whole home?

Thanks

Hi, just found this thread, but a couple of days ago I emailed Octopus asking if we get 6 hours off peak electricity for the home only when the car is charging, so no clear times daily, or every day for the 6 hours.

This is the reply:
'Thank you for your email. Intelligent Octopus currently only works with Vehicle charging.

You get cheap electricity every night but smart charging can occur outside the fixed period and is always on the off peak rate
.'

Is this wrong then? Intelligent is the entire 6 hours for the whole home?

Thanks

The off-peak 6 hours is always set at the same time however they are saying that it might be cheaper (for them) to charge the car outside this time so they will initiate the charge at peak times but charge you off-peak.

so yes, you will ALWAYS get off peak at 11:30 for six hours, regardless if you charge or not.

Get six hours of cheap, green energy from 11.30 pm to 5.30 am every night, for home and charging. You can save up to £200 a year vs. Octopus Go.

I’m still investigating Intelligent Octopus, I’m not entirely sure how it works and what control over charging times I need to relinquish to Octopus to enable it. I don’t have a regular commute as I work at home, so the standard Octopus Go providing off peak rates between 00:30 and 04:30 works just fine for me to keep the car topped up. I never use the “charge to depart at a particular time” option, always the “charging to start at 00:30” option via the Tesla screen.

Just signed up to it for another 12 month fix when my current Go tariff expires - the off peak rate is increasing from 5p to 7.5p and the day rate from 15p to 40p, which is painful. But I wanted to lock it in before the price goes up again in October and again in January.

Now I need to find a way to have the washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher operating only between 00:30 and 04:30!

I’m still investigating Intelligent Octopus, I’m not entirely sure how it works and what control over charging times I need to relinquish to Octopus to enable it. I don’t have a regular commute as I work at home, so the standard Octopus Go providing off peak rates between 00:30 and 04:30 works just fine for me to keep the car topped up. I never use the “charge to depart at a particular time” option, always the “charging to start at 00:30” option via the Tesla screen.

Just signed up to it for another 12 month fix when my current Go tariff expires - the off peak rate is increasing from 5p to 7.5p and the day rate from 15p to 40p, which is painful. But I wanted to lock it in before the price goes up again in October and again in January.

Now I need to find a way to have the washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher operating only between 00:30 and 04:30!
Similar boat, been on Go for a number of years and my rate expires at the start of January... so it was a no brainer to go with IO this time round. The benifit is, I'm getting 6 hours of off peak now and the rate is the same as the new Go tarrif.

Dishwasher goes on just before bed (normally around 11pm), Washing machine set to 4AM (and will run into peak time for a couple of hours but still better than nothing) and tumble dryer during the day when its sunny (or just have to take the hit.

My issue is my servers, home automation, plex and media units (over 200TB of spinning storage) which runs 500W 24/7. I'm looking at battery storage to at least run my kit off the batter during peak loads.

The only downside I can see for you is that the car won't sleep when IO is monitoring the car to see if it's plugged in etc but if you don't drive much you could turn smart charging off in the Octopus app and just switch it on when you need to charge your car. You would still get the 6 hours of off peak rates to use the washer etc but I'd do it sooner rather than later if you want to to avoid the rate increases!

I kicked off the change last night.. did the test charge, and last night it did it's first scheduled charge.

However the Octopus "my account" page, is still showing my old Go tariff (so I need to be careful when it schedules outside the 00:30-04:£0 period)... with some odd progress bar, where it looks like I'm on 4 of the 5... with " Readings available We're receiving the half-hourly readings we need from your smart meter!"

Any idea how long it takes to move to the "next" stage, and get the new tarriffs?

I kicked off the change last night.. did the test charge, and last night it did it's first scheduled charge.

However the Octopus "my account" page, is still showing my old Go tariff (so I need to be careful when it schedules outside the 00:30-04:£0 period)... with some odd progress bar, where it looks like I'm on 4 of the 5... with " Readings available We're receiving the half-hourly readings we need from your smart meter!"

Any idea how long it takes to move to the "next" stage, and get the new tarriffs?
The account page can be slow to catch up. If you successfully test charged I reckon you're already on IO.

Reactions: phil4
The off-peak 6 hours is always set at the same time however they are saying that it might be cheaper (for them) to charge the car outside this time so they will initiate the charge at peak times but charge you off-peak.

so yes, you will ALWAYS get off peak at 11:30 for six hours, regardless if you charge or not.

Get six hours of cheap, green energy from 11.30 pm to 5.30 am every night, for home and charging. You can save up to £200 a year vs. Octopus Go.
Nice one, so basically, same as Go, but with extra hours?

I'm fairly torn over all of this! I've got a decent Octopus Go (5p/13.96p 25p standing) rate until the end of February next year. Should I be seriously considering moving to intelligent as of now? Or as close to October as possible? I guess the idea would be to move before the next price cap comes in as that will likely affect the OI pricing?

I'm fairly torn over all of this! I've got a decent Octopus Go (5p/13.96p 25p standing) rate until the end of February next year. Should I be seriously considering moving to intelligent as of now? Or as close to October as possible? I guess the idea would be to move before the next price cap comes in as that will likely affect the OI pricing?
If I had 6 more months on that rate I'd stick, but ymmv.

Check your bills after going on IO.

I got a notification from Octopus that they had taken payment for my latest bill and nearly had a heart attack at the cost. They hadn't actually loaded the bill onto the My Account section so I had to chase them. I got the bill this afternoon and they had charged me twice for the period. Due to an error on their part they had actually charged me peak rate for the energy that I had exported, as well as charging two lots of standing charge.

Some people might put the cost down to increasing electricity costs and not realise what has happened....

Powerwalls are an interesting one for IO.

Because I can locally control my battery with MQTT and Home Assistant, I I have a script to tell my battery not to discharge in the extra HH slots allocated outside the 23:30-05:30 window.

Powerwalls would be more challenging as Tesla isn't so keen on users having that kind of control.

Whether discharging from your PW to fill your car battery from time to time would be an issue to you is another question.

I have a PW coming soon and a Telsa in a few weeks. I have been looking at IO however I am finding hard to find any details on if IFTTT (or something alike) can control the PW to flick to charge while the extra OP slots are open in the day, then the flick to discharge when said slot closes).

One of the only ways I can see it working is to set the powerwall to charge when the car charging. Then discharge PW when the car is not charging. Communication like, OI App > Car > PW, events in that order, but I dont know if there is a way to have the car tell the PW what to do. If I can find away to make the car tell the PW when its charging or not will solve the issue.

I dont know if Home Assistant integrates with Pws. I need to get researching.

Unless someone in here has already figured it out!?

• Helpful
Reactions: Garry TheBiz
I was on that rate until the 1st week of Jan. Given the rumored price jumps will be hammering in october I figured it was better to jump now to IO so as to lock in until Oct and April have hit. Again, to my thinking I didnt want Octopus to turn and say "IO isn't available atm as it's over subscribed" come October , like they did with Go last year, Better (in my mind) to have a small rise now for 4 months) rather than a double whammy in 2023

Does anyone know what the interim tariff for IO is? I'm keen to switch.

Currently on EDF goelectric awaiting a smart meter install for months. Their interim is 30p/kWh (fixed until 2024) so isn't actually too bad given upcoming price hikes
Given that figure apparently is going to rise to 50p+/Kwh then staying on that is the best option. The new cap is announced on the 26th of Aug so hold fire until then I think.