Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a heads up for anyone with an Easee 7kw charger. When you setup IO DONT choose the Easee 22kw from the charger list, go for the generic 7kw charger. I originally setup with the 22kw Easee and had issues as the charging sessions were too short (as IO were expecting charging at 22kw).

I reached out to Octopus as they have a form to add non supported chargers to add the 7kw Easee and they responded saying just use the 7kw generic charger.

Posted in case this is helpful to anyone.
Strange, I set up at 22kw on my 7kw Easee and had zero issues with session timings.

Having plugged in the car earlier today, has anyone ever seen their charging schedule lose a slot rather than gain an extra one later on in the evening ? Just now, my schedule has added an extra slot between 7am to 730am. Could I possibly lose that slot later into the night if the charging schedule changes again ?

Having plugged in the car earlier today, has anyone ever seen their charging schedule lose a slot rather than gain an extra one later on in the evening ? Just now, my schedule has added an extra slot between 7am to 730am. Could I possibly lose that slot later into the night if the charging schedule changes again ?
Yes, the schedule is dynamic and can shift at any time.

Reactions: Makeitadouble
So my ISP has told me they are doing maintenance work this Thursday between midnight and 6am.

Am I likely to find it causing problems with being able to have IO control and charge my car while at home, or can I sleep easy knowing that the car will fall back LTE to control charging the car..

Don't fancy staying up late, just to be sure...

How do you get your schedule? This is all I see. I transferred to IO yesterday and the test all worked ok. But my app screen didn’t show a schedule (and it charged last night to 85% set on car not 80% set in Octopus app)

Attachments

• 1A4904B2-4DA7-441B-8E3F-56C5A3171DA5.png
    1A4904B2-4DA7-441B-8E3F-56C5A3171DA5.png
    219.5 KB · Views: 110
Thing is, my A2 works absolutely fine with Go and has done from day one. I read a lot on here about people having issues with IO, charges starting and stopping etc. what I’m thinking, is it worth the chew on for an extra couple hours off peak, that I may or may not need.

There's no issue with using the A2 with IO. Just switch off any schedules in the app, if you have the Solar integration then make sure the dial is at 100% Grid and that's it.

How do you get your schedule? This is all I see. I transferred to IO yesterday and the test all worked ok. But my app screen didn’t show a schedule (and it charged last night to 85% set on car not 80% set in Octopus app)
The charging schedules used to appear within seconds of plugging the car in. I used to get them in the time it took to walk the 15 steps from plugging the car in to opening the front door. However this aggressive polling was preventing the car from sleeping and causing phantom battery drain.
Octopus have slowed this polling rate down. It now can take over an hour to get a schedule.
It may also be that AFAIK it goes live at midnight on the transfer day, so it may not have been active for you yesterday. Certainly, when I transferred in August, I had to wait till the next day before the app would schedule a charge.

It normally does a test charge adding around 1kwh. Once this is complete the charge schedule should appear in the Octopus app.

Once the Tesla app shows “charging stopped” and the car is no longer charging after the test charge, the schedule will appear in the app.

Under devices, a “charging schedule” drop down menu will appear, when you tap on the down arrow, you will be able to see the charging schedule.

Attachments

• F60BF909-C7B9-4C6C-9704-B52F85F9BCDB.jpeg
    F60BF909-C7B9-4C6C-9704-B52F85F9BCDB.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 49
It normally does a test charge adding around 1kwh. Once this is complete the charge schedule should appear in the Octopus app.
Sorry but this is wrong. You only ever do 1 test charge, and that’s when signing up for IO. If you’re seeing the car charge when you plug in then you need to tweak your Tesla app settings to avoid it (or not and be happy with the short peak charges). Set Off-peak charging to on and off-peak end at 5:30

Like Zakalwe said the schedules used to appear almost the second you plugged in, but the vampire drain fix meant it doesn’t usually appear for a while.

Sorry but this is wrong. You only ever do 1 test charge, and that’s when signing up for IO. If you’re seeing the car charge when you plug in then you need to tweak your Tesla app settings to avoid it (or not and be happy with the short peak charges). Set Off-peak charging to on and off-peak end at 5:30

Like Zakalwe said the schedules used to appear almost the second you plugged in, but the vampire drain fix meant it doesn’t usually appear for a while.
Well, it’s the way it works for me, so it’s not wrong just because it doesn’t work the way you have it. You said yourself “or not and be happy with the short peak charges” - so it does do a short test charge so what I said wasn’t wrong and you’ve contradicted yourself 🤷‍♂️

I don’t want to mess around with charging schedules in the app as I may be travelling during the day and need to plug in “on peak”. Also, if I plug the car in and it does a short test charge I know everything is connected properly and the charger is enabled to charge (I have RFID keys to enable the charger).

Well, it’s the way it works for me, so it’s not wrong just because it doesn’t work the way you have it. You said yourself “or not and be happy with the short peak charges” - so it does do a short test charge so what I said wasn’t wrong and you’ve contradicted yourself 🤷‍♂️
It's not a test charge though, it's literally your car thinking "oh hey I'm plugged in, lets charge!" and then IO noticing it and forcibly stopping the charge. Wasnt bad when IO polled your car constantly, the charge was terminated within a minute usually, but now that the vampire drain fix has meant the IO polling rate is much slower so you might end up charging for as long as it takes for IO to generate a schedule - which can be a few hours on bad days. Your money though!
I don’t want to mess around with charging schedules in the app as I may be travelling during the day and need to plug in “on peak”. Also, if I plug the car in and it does a short test charge I know everything is connected properly and the charger is enabled to charge (I have RFID keys to enable the charger).
App charging schedules are location based, so if you're travelling it'll behave differently.

My “test”, “initial”, “brief”, “short”, “setup”, “premature” (delete as appropriate) has never taken more than 30 mins and I’ve only (so far) needed to charge once a week, so the cost has been negligible.

I posted this really as a help to anyone who didn’t know how the charge setup works and in response to a question asking about this, not to be schooled in semantics. Thank you for clarifying the process, but to say what I said was wrong when i described literally how it works was unhelpful, especially for people new to IO.

Anyway, enough now as this isn’t helping anyone.

It's not a test charge, mate. It's a recent artefact of the IO API not signalling the Tesla API promptly to stop the charge which has come about from them reducing the polling frequency - something they did to stop the car from being kept awake when not plugged in.

You can wang on about semantics, but saying it's "a test charge" implies it is by design. It ain't.

I have to say, I've had some great results with IO - it's been working very well for me and with integration into my homeassistant, I've been able to control other device during the "IO" period - I've been heating my water tank during this time to lessen my gas usage.

I've just signed for the new "octopus saving session" and looking to use my batteries during peak time to earn some credits. This is also controlled via homeassistant (Solis Hybrid Invertor and Pylontech Batteries)

Once the Tesla app shows “charging stopped” and the car is no longer charging after the test charge, the schedule will appear in the app.

Under devices, a “charging schedule” drop down menu will appear, when you tap on the down arrow, you will be able to see the charging schedule.

It's not a test charge, mate. It's a recent artefact of the IO API not signalling the Tesla API promptly to stop the charge which has come about from them reducing the polling frequency - something they did to stop the car from being kept awake when not plugged in.

You can wang on about semantics, but saying it's "a test charge" implies it is by design. It ain't.
As Browellm said, it’s not a test charge. Your car starts changing when you plug it in as it would with any other charger. It’s nothing to do with IO and doesn’t form part of the schedule, by extension you will be charged peak rate of the first bit of juice. Iv had it take anything from 10 mins to 2 hours to stop. It’s a caveat to stopping phantom drain. Charging stops when you get a schedule as that’s when IO polls the car for battery capacity information, not charge Speed test etc.

Due to this I have set my Easee schedule to start at 23:30 and end at 11am. Therefore it won’t charge when plugged in but will allow IO to charge within the above hours.

Last edited:
Has anyone successfully used one Tesla to set up Octopus Intelligent at two different addresses?
You would have to setup OI at each address as Octopus is your energy supplier, which will be set to one address.

if you’re asking if you can have one Tesla registered to more than one address and do Octopus check if the Tesla login details are already registered to another address, then I think you’d need to try it and see.

You would have to setup OI at each address as Octopus is your energy supplier, which will be set to one address.

if you’re asking if you can have one Tesla registered to more than one address and do Octopus check if the Tesla login details are already registered to another address, then I think you’d need to try it and see.
Yeah - this is what I’m asking. Scenario is I have IO already at home, but often spend weekends at another property which currently has a non-smart Octopus tariff (account is not in my name). When that tariff ends, it would be beneficial to switch to IO.

I think it would only be at the point of inputting Tesla credentials via the Octopus app where there could potentially be an issue.