Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Pending proper IO support from MyEnergi, I’ve been having a play and have settled on the following configuration:

No schedule set in car.
Zappi set to Eco+ from 0655 to 2330 hrs. HomeAssistant sets Zappi to Fast at 2330 and back to Eco+ at 0655.
Smart charging enabled in the Octopus app. Departure set to 0700 hrs.
Siri automation to turn on car pre-heat at 0700 hrs.

This setup seems to work, however does have some quirks. For starters, although the car is plugged in all evening, IO doesn’t seem to realise this and will only formulate a charge plan when the Zappi switches to Fast at 2330 and the car starts charging. IO then maps a charge between 2330 and 0700 hrs and does its thing. This setup does stop IO from mapping charges before 2330 and I might lose out on some cheaper leccy for the house, but I figure it’s not the end of the world.

As the Zappi switches back to Eco+ at 0655, the car doesn’t draw from the grid when it starts pre-heating at 0700 hrs. (Though the Zappi does have a bug with pre-conditioning at the moment, so it does draw momentarily, before it stops again.)

The primary reason for going with this setup is I only need to change a single setting in order to charge from surplus solar during the day. By turning off Smart charge in the Octopus app, the car will then charge from surplus PV without having to make any other changes. I can then either leave it to top up at 2330 hrs on Fast (which will cover the charge in off-peak rates as long as I don’t need more than 60%), or re-enable smart charging and let IO take the wheel overnight (and possibly benefit from extra off-peak periods).

I’m a newbie to IO, so I may be missing something, but I think this setup currently gives me the best of both worlds where I don’t need to make lots of changes to make use of surplus PV, whilst avoiding drawing from the grid during peak hours and still enjoying an element of IO.
So my grand plan failed last night. It had worked the first night I tested it, but last night it did not work as planned.

At 2330 hrs the car started charging and subsequently stopped under instructions from IO. Zappi showed “Charge complete.” Octopus app showed a planned charge for 0230 hrs.

At 0230 hrs the car was unable to start a charge. I woke up around 0300 and saw the car wasn’t charging. I set the Zappi to Stop and back to Fast and the charge started up and went on to complete as expected.

I believe there is an issue where if the car has been charging and then stops, the Zappi goes to Charge Complete status and won’t allow the charge to restart. I’ve posted about this on the MyEnergi forum, however I’m assured by other users the Zappi will not stop the charge from resuming. (This is not my experience)

I’m sure others on here will have a Zappi, what have been your experiences?

Going with the usual enabling an off-peak tariff time in the car would stop the initial charge and therefore the Zappi going into Charge Complete status, however this would not help in a situation where IO plans two charging blocks that are not adjacent.

So my grand plan failed last night. It had worked the first night I tested it, but last night it did not work as planned.

At 2330 hrs the car started charging and subsequently stopped under instructions from IO. Zappi showed “Charge complete.” Octopus app showed a planned charge for 0230 hrs.

At 0230 hrs the car was unable to start a charge. I woke up around 0300 and saw the car wasn’t charging. I set the Zappi to Stop and back to Fast and the charge started up and went on to complete as expected.

I believe there is an issue where if the car has been charging and then stops, the Zappi goes to Charge Complete status and won’t allow the charge to restart. I’ve posted about this on the MyEnergi forum, however I’m assured by other users the Zappi will not stop the charge from resuming. (This is not my experience)

I’m sure others on here will have a Zappi, what have been your experiences?

Going with the usual enabling an off-peak tariff time in the car would stop the initial charge and therefore the Zappi going into Charge Complete status, however this would not help in a situation where IO plans two charging blocks that are not adjacent.
I have a zappi and it's left in fast charge mode with nothing else set and the only setting on the car is the charge % level

My routine is plug the car in after 5pm, open the Tesla app and watch the charge build to 32amps then stop the charge (if IO doesn't get there first), open the octopus app and adjust charge % and ready time if required (I leave my % to be 5% more than what the car is set at), check Octopus app an hour later to see if schedule has appeared, which 9 times out of 10 it has. On the odd occasion where there's not been a schedule I open the tesla app and start the car charging and then stop it again when it gets to 32amps.

I've not yet experienced a problem with it not restarting when it's been non-consecutive time slots

• Informative
Reactions: Cardo
I have a zappi and it's left in fast charge mode with nothing else set and the only setting on the car is the charge % level

My routine is plug the car in after 5pm, open the Tesla app and watch the charge build to 32amps then stop the charge (if IO doesn't get there first), open the octopus app and adjust charge % and ready time if required (I leave my % to be 5% more than what the car is set at), check Octopus app an hour later to see if schedule has appeared, which 9 times out of 10 it has. On the odd occasion where there's not been a schedule I open the tesla app and start the car charging and then stop it again when it gets to 32amps.

I've not yet experienced a problem with it not restarting when it's been non-consecutive time slots
Thanks for your replies. I think I was having a moment of madness, today. Having checked the logs, everything looked fine, however the car seemed to be having a pause part way through charging and I happened to catch it at that point. I shall give it another go tonight with the same settings and see what happens…

Reactions: MattG5
Thanks for your replies. I think I was having a moment of madness, today. Having checked the logs, everything looked fine, however the car seemed to be having a pause part way through charging and I happened to catch it at that point. I shall give it another go tonight with the same settings and see what happens…
So last night IO had mapped charging in three half hour blocks from 0030 through to 0400. When the Zappi changed to Fast at 2330, the car started charging and carried on charging for just over an hour until it reached the charge limit. Is it normal for the IO mapping to not kick in at all? Obviously, in this case it doesn’t matter, but it’s still odd.

First time staying away from home with IO and on plugging in at my parents in law (which is 180 miles away from our home) IO has scheduled lots of charge slots and started charging the car... I thought this wasn't meant to happen? Any thoughts?

First time staying away from home with IO and on plugging in at my parents in law (which is 180 miles away from our home) IO has scheduled lots of charge slots and started charging the car... I thought this wasn't meant to happen? Any thoughts?
Enjoy the off-peak rates your house is ticking over on? :D

More seriously, I have seen this occasionally before and then the schedule eventually disappears. Certainly won't cause any harm.

Reactions: chwe
Enjoy the off-peak rates your house is ticking over on? :D

More seriously, I have seen this occasionally before and then the schedule eventually disappears. Certainly won't cause any harm.
It's more that it's charging at my in-laws and costing them a fortune
you can switch that off, go into the Octopus app, click the profile picture top left, then devices, IO, scroll to the bottom and you can switch smart charging off.
Thanks, yes I have done this now.

Plugging in the car away from home I would expect the car to start charging itself (not IO starting it) if the charger is enabled to charge when plugged into something. The IO slots appearing is however an anomaly.

I’m confused by your comment. You’ve plugged in at your in-laws’ and it’s charging, and you’re concerned it’s costing them a fortune? What were you expecting to happen when you plugged in?
I plugged it in and switched the charging off in the Tesla app. Then IO scheduled a charge and switched charging back on which it shouldn't do away from home.

Probably should have been clearer that it's also scheduled in the Tesla app to start charging at midnight on their economy 7.

Received my first bill on the new (IO) rates, today. Ouch! I miss my old electricity rates! 😭

However, I’d made some notes in relation to certain days to see how I would be billed.

If you have a dumb charger (or a Zappi on Fast, or similar) and set an off-peak time in the car, make sure you set this to 0530. The first day I did this I set the off-peak time to 0700 (thinking the car might stop any IO charges after 0530 if I set it earlier) and the car charged between 0530 - 0600 as it hadn’t quite reached the charge limit. I’ve been billed at the higher rate for this extra period, so I’m assuming this charging was down to the car, and not IO.

You can only guarantee an off-peak period of 2330-0530. One day I plugged in and the mapped charge ran through to 0600 hrs. The car subsequently started charging at 2330 (when I have my Zappi change from Eco+ to Fast) and continued charging for a couple of hours until it reached the charge limit. The IO charge map was seemingly completed ignored. The car did not require charging between 0530-0600 as it had already charged earller in the night. My bill shows this period was billed at the peak rate, despite having been part of the mapped charge the previous evening.

1 day into Intelligent here!

Is it against the rules to just manually schedule a charge in the Tesla app to start and run between 23:30 and 05:30 for the off-peak rate?

This is just for piece of mind as I need to charge the car to make sure I can get to work but I don't fully trust the Octopus app to do everything for me yet.

Is it against the rules to just manually schedule a charge in the Tesla app to start and run between 23:30 and 05:30 for the off-peak rate?

This is just for piece of mind as I need to charge the car to make sure I can get to work but I don't fully trust the Octopus app to do everything for me yet.
I don't think so but as many have observed previously, you will achieve the same but toggling on Off-Peak Charge under Schedule>Departure in the Tesla app with an End-Time of 05:30 and departure time of say 8am (or whatever suits you). This also prevents the car from charging as soon as you plug-in in the evening before IO kicks in and stops it. And it is more in the 'spirit' of IO.

Reactions: Cardo and Skie
I
Received my first bill on the new (IO) rates, today. Ouch! I miss my old electricity rates! 😭

However, I’d made some notes in relation to certain days to see how I would be billed.

If you have a dumb charger (or a Zappi on Fast, or similar) and set an off-peak time in the car, make sure you set this to 0530. The first day I did this I set the off-peak time to 0700 (thinking the car might stop any IO charges after 0530 if I set it earlier) and the car charged between 0530 - 0600 as it hadn’t quite reached the charge limit. I’ve been billed at the higher rate for this extra period, so I’m assuming this charging was down to the car, and not IO.

You can only guarantee an off-peak period of 2330-0530. One day I plugged in and the mapped charge ran through to 0600 hrs. The car subsequently started charging at 2330 (when I have my Zappi change from Eco+ to Fast) and continued charging for a couple of hours until it reached the charge limit. The IO charge map was seemingly completed ignored. The car did not require charging between 0530-0600 as it had already charged earller in the night. My bill shows this period was billed at the peak rate, despite having been part of the mapped charge the previous evening.
Interesting observation that the post-530 windows fall away if charging is completed. One of the downsides to using the Off Peak setting in the Tesla app, I guess.

Not that I'm aware of. With IO enabled, if you don't set any schedule in the car, when you plug the car in, it'll start charging and the IO will step in and stop it (this may take a while). If you set a charge start time in the car at say 23:30, then when you plug in it won't charge. But it'll start at 23:30, and IO can and will step in and stop it.

As such, it's doing the same as it would do when you plug in, just at a later time. You're not stopping it from stopping charging, or stopping the charge, so I doubt there's a problem.

If you set a schedule on your charger, so it only charges between those times, then you're likely not break the rules, so much as short charging yourself. For example if IO schedules 23:00 - 06:00 for charging, you'll miss an hour and not get fully charged.

The other methods that "game the system" which are numerous and simple are the ones that are more likely to be against the rules, and the ones they might frown upon if they start looking.

Reactions: Skie