Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
As I recall if you don't let them control it for at least one day per month you're in breach of the T&Cs.

If you're not bothered about whether you get extra time slots, I'm not sure why you'd worry about if it offers you any. I'd just signup, let it control the charging and be done with it, just set it at 100% in the app, and say 7am if that's earliest you have (or earlier if you leave earlier). I've been using it since last August, and with the car set to start charging at 23:30 I've never had it fail.

And it doesn't half do weird charging, not just the half hour slots, but literally minutes inside those. So might just do 9 mins then stop for the rest.

• Informative
Reactions: goRt and Durzel
So my IO from 2022 Feb is coming to an end. Today octopus sent me an email, saying that I have 2 options. As I was reading the tarriff, I wanted to understand, if Octopus are stupid and cannot math or I am a moron and I cannot understand something.

so email states the following:

We've based your estimate on your historical half-hourly usage pattern - that's 4,529 kWh during Intelligent Octopus peak times and 4,739 kWh during Intelligent Octopus off-peak times.
Your new Intelligent Octopus prices
Peak unit rate: 41.11p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 10.00p / kWh
Standing charge: 44.22p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £2,496.96
Flexible Octopus prices
Peak unit rate: 44.17p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 16.61p / kWh
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,530.42

Can anyone, in sane mind, explain how could it be, then more expensive Peak and off peak rate of Flexible Octopus produce the 40% lower annual bill?!

Even if they take into account that this is Economy 7 and has off-peak hours from 12 am to 7 am, my lowest energy consumption is precisely between 5 am and 7 am. and I am charging my car off-peak only.

So if my usual peak time usage is the same with both tariffs, but it is more expensive for peak and off peak at flexible, and the only difference being 1.5 hrs when my power consumption basically is lowest in 24 hrs provides me with 40% savings?!

How does that even work?!

Can anyone, in sane mind, explain how could it be, then more expensive Peak and off peak rate of Flexible Octopus produce the 40% lower annual bill?!

It doesn't, they've got it totally wrong. They do it every time. It's that simple. I think for example one uses your actual usage, and the other uses the "average population" or something like that.

Don't trust them, do you own calcs. Use Octopus Compare app, or an excel spreadsheet (or Google sheets and Guy Lipmans import from the API).

Reactions: Durzel
Am i doing something wrong - car keeps starting charging when its plugged in - but doesnt seem to stop ( as Octopus imply) quickly... was mildly annoyed to put 3-4kwh of peak power in to it yesterday ( IO + Zappi + MYLR) no schedules in car or Zappi .

Am i doing something wrong - car keeps starting charging when its plugged in - but doesnt seem to stop ( as Octopus imply) quickly... was mildly annoyed to put 3-4kwh of peak power in to it yesterday ( IO + Zappi + MYLR) no schedules in car or Zappi .

Set your car with a schedule to start at 23:30. that's it. IO will/can override it, starting or stopping as needed.
The problem with waiting for IO to stop when you plug in, as you've seen is it can start to cost a fair chunk. Back when it was 15p it didn't matter so much, now it's 40p... it's different.

Reactions: Redbaron73
So my IO from 2022 Feb is coming to an end. Today octopus sent me an email, saying that I have 2 options. As I was reading the tarriff, I wanted to understand, if Octopus are stupid and cannot math or I am a moron and I cannot understand something.

so email states the following:

We've based your estimate on your historical half-hourly usage pattern - that's 4,529 kWh during Intelligent Octopus peak times and 4,739 kWh during Intelligent Octopus off-peak times.
Your new Intelligent Octopus prices
Peak unit rate: 41.11p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 10.00p / kWh
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £2,496.96
Flexible Octopus prices
Peak unit rate: 44.17p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 16.61p / kWh
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,530.42

Even if they take into account that this is Economy 7 and has off-peak hours from 12 am to 7 am, my lowest energy consumption is precisely between 5 am and 7 am. and I am charging my car off-peak only.

So if my usual peak time usage is the same with both tariffs, but it is more expensive for peak and off peak at flexible, and the only difference being 1.5 hrs when my power consumption basically is lowest in 24 hrs provides me with 40% savings?!

Have you read the next paragraph below where you've stopped you quote above?

This explains their numbers, pointless I agree as you need to do your numbers.

My quote therefore works out £5 cheaper on flexible compared to my "actual" usage on the new IO tariff although my current Go was £964 cheaper😱😱

Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 10.21.38.png

This follows on from my recent quote as I'm again switiching from 5p Go at the end of January.

Reactions: Cardo
Have you read the next paragraph below where you've stopped you quote above?

This explains their numbers, pointless I agree as you need to do your numbers.

My quote therefore works out £5 cheaper on flexible compared to my "actual" usage on the new IO tariff although my current Go was £964 cheaper😱😱

View attachment 892944
This follows on from my recent quote as I'm again switiching from 5p Go at the end of January.
exactly. while for new IO quote they claim that they take my historical use, then for the flexible they do not even bother.. .:D

anyhow, since new IO is not-fixed, I just renew with IO and then will see if anything else comes later this year

Reactions: ElectricPolice
exactly. while for new IO quote they claim that they take my historical use, then for the flexible they do not even bother.. .:D

anyhow, since new IO is not-fixed, I just renew with IO and then will see if anything else comes later this year
Yup. This has come up before. Since IO users have EVs and thus are generally much higher users than average the IO quote based on actual usage is always likely to be higher than the Flexible one based on the average household. So worse than pointless. :rolleyes:

I'm not one to usually actually praise an energy supplier but I'm actually impressed by Octopus, after initially not supporting my meter so I went with e.on Next for a year. Now my meter had it's required upgrade to stay smart on moving I started a switch to octopus on Wednesday and within two days I was on their supply expecting another couple weeks to be transferred to intelligent octopus so was surprised to get an e-mail at lunchtime saying IO was live already! Just had to set up the app which went smoothly. Just waiting until 5pm now to plug my car in to see if it'll create a smart schedule 😄

so, last night, for the second time since we went to IO months ago, the car didn't charge. Everything was set as it should be (car at 50% (10A rate set which I admit was low but would have given me the juice I needed for the day), octopus at 50%, charging plan all mapped out) and instead of going anywhere near 50, we were left with 17% in the morning meaning the car didn't charge at all. Thankfully, we had some solar today we could top the car up with before we headed where we needed to go this afternoon.

I was not best pleased.

Last time I wrote an email and complained, they fobbed me off telling me that I had set something wrongly. Well, I hadn't that time and I definitely didn't last night. In any case, because we're paranoid about it both me and the missus check it independently as a failsafe. I've written again and asked what's going on.

And so, tonight I set it all up and stayed up until 11:30pm and waited. Charging plan all set to start at 11:30 but 11:30 came and went and nothing happened. I ended up starting it manually.

Anyone else had this experience and is there anything I might be doing wrong?

When 2330 came and the car didn’t start charging, did any errors come up in the log?

Did you carry out your test charge in the same place you park to charge?

I’ve not had IO too long, but I’ve not had any failed charges, so far.

I know when i was on the eon tariff before using the ev.energy app the app lost it's authentication key periodically so couldn't control the car anymore. IO seems to be using the same sort of software and you just had to disconnect the car from the app then re-connect it so it gets it's authorisation back. Maybe worth a try?

I've had a great IO experience since September. However not had data in the App since 15th December, just got this update from Octopus:

- - - -
"It appears we have lost connection with your meters. This is due to a known defect with the WNC communication hub (the device attached to the electric meter that we use to communicate with both meters).

This defect will require a firmware update, which can only be issued by the manufacturer WNC.

Luckily, they begun the process of rolling out the firmware upgrade in November (2022).

This is something that is done remotely and we should have your meters back online soon!

If you need anything else at all, please reach out."
- - - -

Anyone else experiencing a "known defect with the WNC Communication hub" or waiting for a firmware update?

I've had a great IO experience since September. However not had data in the App since 15th December, just got this update from Octopus:

- - - -
"It appears we have lost connection with your meters. This is due to a known defect with the WNC communication hub (the device attached to the electric meter that we use to communicate with both meters).

This defect will require a firmware update, which can only be issued by the manufacturer WNC.

Luckily, they begun the process of rolling out the firmware upgrade in November (2022).

This is something that is done remotely and we should have your meters back online soon!

- - - -

Anyone else experiencing a "known defect with the WNC Communication hub" or waiting for a firmware update?
not me (as far as I am aware). What sort of meter is it? SMETS1 or 2? what brand / model
different parts of the country don't even use the same wireless network. so there are a lot of variables

- - - -

- - - -

Yes - our smart meter stopped sending half hour readings at the end of June and only restarted again in November, presumably as result of the firmware update you mention. None of the half hourly readings from July to October have appeared so I recently spoke to Octopus who have now billed me for that period by applying my average kWh rate (15p) on use since the smart meter started working again. Unfortunately for Octopus the meter was incorrectly set up on dual rate when it was installed so the total import figure that they used for the period when no half hourly readings were available is significant less than my actual usage. I’ve told them all this but they didn’t seem bothered. End result is that I’ve paid a quite a bit less than I would have done if the smart meter hadn’t stopped working - bonus!

- - - -

- - - -

Interesting. I’m with Octopus and just had Smart Meters installed last week as we will be coming off our fixed price (17pkwh) later this year + I should have my Model Y and EV charger by then so will move to IO or Go.

However, the meter is still not ‘connected’ and the in home display still shows ‘waiting for current data’ 5 days after install.

Installer said it should be working after 48 hours but Octopus say can take 14 days.
Would think new meter would have new firmware but who knows!

Installer said it should be working after 48 hours but Octopus say can take 14 days.
Would think new meter would have new firmware but who knows!
The data its waiting for is from octopus in regards to your tarif so you can see how much you are spending. If it's a new meter it won't have any.

Have you been to your account online? if they can read it, it will be showing on there and you should b e able to see your usage up to the previous day.

Reminds our meter still hasn't updated its rates for 2 months now and must email them

Reactions: Mistake Not