Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Something up with IO scheduled charging, had a plan including 05:00 until 08:00 but the charging halted by itself and without error at 06:52, 07:23 until I noticed and got it going again in attempt to deliver on the target SoC. In the end fell 15% short, but would have been met had charging continued uninterrupted. Went out to see if the charge cable/socket itself was the cause in the freezing cold, but seemed fine. Anyone else experience similar lately? Also wonder if something to do with Tesla App target current being off-by-one again, i.e. set 32 A, app displays 31 A (at 243 V). Could also be related to overnight download of 2022.44.30 and pending install.

I am struggling to charge the car from my solar / battery setup. Before IO i could merely start charge select eco+ and dump excess / force home battery to charge car... since IO the charger doesnt respond to my (app) command... assume this is because Octopus fundamentally override it... What do i need to do to allow this to work? if i start the charge from the tesla app it just goes fure bore and pulls from grid... Or am i being dumb? (Zappi btw)

Don’t have an awesome zappi just a regular BP Pulse wall box so can’t compare with the eco+ mode.

However, this leads me to two things from all the various comments above. I’ll be switching in 12 days so I’ll suss for myself properly then what works for me, but my thinking is charge via IO at least twice a month (as I don’t need to charge every day) and then switch it off and charge like on Go before during the 23:30-05:30 window on the couple of other occasions plus with the second EV.

Then in the summer during the day, if on the BP charger, I just turn down the Amps on the Tesla App to about 12A so that it balances solar and battery charging / top up without exceeding 3.7kW inverter limit… and thus taking from the grid.

Solar / battery charging my Tesla is only a last resort when I can’t use solar for anything else and I don’t want to feed back to the grid for the miserly 3p/kW. Rest of the day is spent with washing/dishwashing/tumble drying etc. and making sure battery back to 100% to go through the night until the next solar charge starts.

Now if I had 20-30kW solar and a 11kW inverter and 80kW batteries it would be a different story. At present it’s like a granny charger so that’s how I treat it for little bursts in the day and not for mass input for work travel.

I’m hoping tech transforms in the next three years when my PCP is complete so that I can buy the Car and use it as additional battery storage for the house as the £18k balloon payment is a helluva lot less than buying equivalent of 75kW of powerwalls…. I can dream can’t I? Yes I know there will be some residual loss but still it’s a bargain in my mind!!

I am struggling to charge the car from my solar / battery setup. Before IO i could merely start charge select eco+ and dump excess / force home battery to charge car... since IO the charger doesnt respond to my (app) command... assume this is because Octopus fundamentally override it... What do i need to do to allow this to work? if i start the charge from the tesla app it just goes fure bore and pulls from grid... Or am i being dumb? (Zappi btw)
IO doesn't control your charger at all. Any comms problems there are a coincidence.

IO does need your charger in completely dumb mode, no smart features, in order to work as advertised. Anything else is hack and may cause IO to misbehave or not do what you are expecting it to do.

Reactions: Redbaron73
Is it not the case that IO can control the charger or the car, possibly both? Ohme chargers are compatible, for example.

I would presume compatibility means you can use any car with an Ohme charger, and a Tesla with any charger.

Is it not the case that IO can control the charger or the car, possibly both? Ohme chargers are compatible, for example.

I would presume compatibility means you can use any car with an Ohme charger, and a Tesla with any charger.
ONLY Ohme are compatible right now. Wallbox is about to go onto the list (2nd or 3rd try for them)

As I was replying to a post about the Zappi, didn't think I'd have to caveat everything :)

Reactions: Durzel
I calculated that if you have a house base load of 400W, then having 2 extra hours of off-peak (assuming 7.5p vs 37.5p) would save you around 24p a day (your standing charge) or around £90/y.

That's if you shifted absolutely no other use into those two hours.

Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.
Hi there, so I'd like to ask a question from this knowledgeable community...

Situation:

I have a new lfp battery model 3 that I like to charge to 100% every night as tesla recommends

I don't have a charge point so I am just using Tesla's supplied Umc on a three pin plug in my garage. I prefer to set the charge current to 8 amps or lower to avoid damaging the wiring (though it looks Ok and doesn't get hot)

I switched to intelligent octopus a few days ago from flexible octopus. On switching I select the three pin 2.4kw charger from octopus.energys list of charging devices and I set the car to lfp model 3. I leave the desired charge set at 100% in the octopus app (and in the tesla app too)

Problem:

When I plug in the car for charging octopus usually tries to give me a slot long enough to complete the charge (though it assumes the car is charging at the full 2.4kw rate). However I often find in the morning that the charging has stopped before the end of the intelligent octopus charging schedule, yet the car has not reached 100%?

Example:

Plugged in car at 5.30pm last night with 50% state of charge, therefore the car needs 30kwh of charge to reach 100%. Set charger current to 8amps in tesla app (see explanation of this in the calculation section below) . In the octopus app I have a scheduled end time of 10.30am. Waited for intelligent octopus to stop the charge and plan the smart schedule. The schedule then appears (almost instantly) as 5.30pm to 10.30 am and so charging continues... So far so good...

Wake up at about 6.30am to discover that the car has stopped charging at 84% charge. The octopus app shows around 14kw charged in the last 12 hours (which is about right). There is still 4 hours left of octopus smart plan schedule yet charging stopped.

Starting charging in the tesla app won't help as octopus stops it. So I started a bump charge using the octopus app, then being unsure if I would get charged at the off peak rate (I am inside the charge plan time but after 5.30am) I stopped the bump charge. Octopus then (very unexpectedly to me) generate a new smart plan of 7.30am to 10.30am and charging resumes. However there is not enough time left in the smart schedule to get to 100% charge even at the full 10amp rate.

Calculation:

At 50% soc the car needs 30kwh to get to 100%. If we assume charging at 2.4kw rate (consistent with the setup I selected when setting up intelligent octopus) then it would take 12.5 hours to fully charge so would reach this level at about 5.30am. However octopus has actually given me a plan lasting 17 hours (5.30pm to 10.30am), so my thinking is if I turn down the current in the tesla app to 8amps the car can still reach 100% soc before 10.30am. 240v x 8amp = 1.9kw so charging 30kwh takes a little over 15 hours (and this was predicted by the tesla app too).

Questions:

If the io has assumed 2.4kw charging then perhaps it stopped the charge at around 5.30am? That doesn't work out though as at 8 amps or 1.9kw the car would have been charged to 88%? Also octopus must be able to see both the actual amount of energy sent to the car and the level of charge of the car so it should know that the car is not yet fully charged. Why did io stop charging before the end of the schedule it planned and before the car reached 100%?

If io wants to stop charging when the full 2.4kw rate would have charged the car to 100% then why issue a smart schedule that last 5 hours longer than required?

Commentary:

Don't get me wrong here; I'm still a big fan of this approach of demand management and I find io adds extra gadgetry satisfaction to having an ev. I just would like to know a bit more about the logic io is operating with. Also I've realised that charging at lowly 2.4kw rate is actually cost effective if it means long smart charging slots thereby cutting down costs for powering the house too. For example I ran the washing machine and tumble dryer during the smart charging slot.

Last edited:
Hi there, so I'd like to ask a question from this knowledgeable community...

Situation:

I have a new lfp battery model 3 that I like to charge to 100% every night as tesla recommends

I don't have a charge point so I am just using Tesla's supplied Umc on a three pin plug in my garage. I prefer to set the charge current to 8 amps or lower to avoid damaging the wiring (though it looks Ok and doesn't get hot)

I switched to intelligent octopus a few days ago from flexible octopus. On switching I select the three pin 2.4kw charger from octopus.energys list of charging devices and I set the car to lfp model 3. I leave the desired charge set at 100% in the octopus app (and in the tesla app too)

Problem:

When I plug in the car for charging octopus usually tries to give me a slot long enough to complete the charge (though it assumes the car is charging at the full 2.4kw rate). However I often find in the morning that the charging has stopped before the end of the intelligent octopus charging schedule, yet the car has not reached 100%?

Example:

Plugged in car at 5.30pm last night with 50% state of charge, therefore the car needs 30kwh of charge to reach 100%. Set charger current to 8amps in tesla app (see explanation of this in the calculation section below) . In the octopus app I have a scheduled end time of 10.30am. Waited for intelligent octopus to stop the charge and plan the smart schedule. The schedule then appears (almost instantly) as 5.30pm to 10.30 am and so charging continues... So far so good...

Wake up at about 6.30am to discover that the car has stopped charging at 84% charge. The octopus app shows around 14kw charged in the last 12 hours (which is about right). There is still 4 hours left of octopus smart plan schedule yet charging stopped.

Starting charging in the tesla app won't help as octopus stops it. So I started a bump charge using the octopus app, then being unsure if I would get charged at the off peak rate (I am inside the charge plan time but after 5.30am) I stopped the bump charge. Octopus then (very unexpectedly to me) generate a new smart plan of 7.30am to 10.30am and charging resumes. However there is not enough time left in the smart schedule to get to 100% charge even at the full 10amp rate.

Calculation:

At 50% soc the car needs 30kwh to get to 100%. If we assume charging at 2.4kw rate (consistent with the setup I selected when setting up intelligent octopus) then it would take 12.5 hours to fully charge so would reach this level at about 5.30am. However octopus has actually given me a plan lasting 17 hours (5.30pm to 10.30am), so my thinking is if I turn down the current in the tesla app to 8amps the car can still reach 100% soc before 10.30am. 240v x 8amp = 1.9kw so charging 30kwh takes a little over 15 hours (and this was predicted by the tesla app too).

Questions:

If the io has assumed 2.4kw charging then perhaps it stopped the charge at around 5.30am? That doesn't work out though as at 8 amps or 1.9kw the car would have been charged to 88%? Also octopus must be able to see both the actual amount of energy sent to the car and the level of charge of the car so it should know that the car is not yet fully charged. Why did io stop charging before the end of the schedule it planned and before the car reached 100%?

If io wants to stop charging when the full 2.4kw rate would have charged the car to 100% then why issue a smart schedule that last 5 hours longer than required?

Commentary:

Don't get me wrong here; I'm still a big fan of this approach of demand management and I find io adds extra gadgetry satisfaction to having an ev. I just would like to know a bit more about the logic io is operating with. Also I've realised that charging at lowly 2.4kw rate is actually cost effective if it means long smart charging slots thereby cutting down costs for powering the house too. For example I ran the washing machine and tumble dryer during the smart charging slot.
TBH, it sounds like you’re trying to game the system by lowering the charge rate to make it take longer to charge to your desired SoC so you get more hours at the cheaper rate.
It appears using the UMC IO expects you to charge at the full rate it’s capable of.

Reactions: SteveJol
Something up with IO scheduled charging
Too blinking right.

Second night in a row that IO failed to charge at all. Two nights ago we set at 32A for 100% charge as we were going a fair way for a day trip. Got a charging plan saying it would start at 1:30am for an 8am departure. Went to bed.

At 4:52am I woke up for a pee. On way back to bed, I thought... hmmm better check the car (IO has made me paranoid at night now). No charge whatsoever. Still sat at 29% from day before. I manually started charging and extended departure to 9:30am (the latest we could leave). New charge plan generated from then until 9:30 but I was doubtful we'd get full charge. Attempted to go to sleep but didn't really get anything solid.

The wife and I took turns to check the car as we tossed and turned until we got up at 7. Every half hour or so, we'd find it had stopped again. This went on until we left the house at 9:45 with 88%. We did our day trip with me nursing the car there and back and arrived home with 9%. Not fun.

Then, again, last night, plugged in and got a charge plan for 50%. Woke up this morning and nothing has happened at all. Still sat at 9%. Thankfully, we don't need the car at all today so can wait until tonight.

I've sent a much more strongly worded account of all this to Octopus. After the first round of this happening a couple of months ago, they said we weren't setting things properly. The second time this happened a couple of weeks ago, I took screenshots to show them everything was set correctly. They simply told me they'd escalated it, then asked if everything was now working as expected, which it was, and then dismissed me with "Let us know if have any more issues." Well we have, and I've let them know in no uncertain terms (=full caps) that I'm not happy.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I didn’t get a schedule until nearly 11pm last night, despite having been plugged in since 3pm

Car charged fine though. Did notice I got an extra percent over what the octopus app is set to (80%), but that’s because the car was set to 85% and IO can take a while to stop charges.

Hi all sorry if this has already been discussed here, did a search and couldn’t find my answer.
I’ve been on Octopus Go for 1.5 years and just moved to Octopus Intelligent this week.
My IHD doesn’t seem to be displaying the accurate spend though. When I check the settings it’s always showing 10p per KWh. It doesn’t seem to be juggling with the off peak and on peak rate but stuck on the off peak rate. So it’s under representing my spend.
Is this expected?

My IHD doesn’t seem to be displaying the accurate spend though. When I check the settings it’s always showing 10p per KWh.
Mine has done the same since my move from Go to IO. I used to keep a close eye on the meter readings for my 'energy spreadsheet' but have had to kind of give up on that.

I now use a 'best estimate' approach where I calculate 67% of total usage at 10p, and the rest at 41.6p (that's based on past usage).

As others have said, the bills seem to be accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: drumkills
My IHD hasn't shown a correct number since I first got it.. apparently it thinks I'm paying 15p 24/7..

The bills you get from octopus will be accurate though.
Mine has done the same since my move from Go to IO. I used to keep a close eye on the meter readings for my 'energy spreadsheet' but have had to kind of give up on that.

I now use a 'best estimate' approach where I calculate 67% of total usage at 10p, and the rest at 41.6p (that's based on past usage).

A others have said, the bills seem to be accurate.
Thanks for confirming this is the expected/current behaviour.
I also notice the octopus app gives us the history of previous days in KWh but not in £. Are there any apps you’d recommend to keep a track of daily cost?
Cheers