Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
On switching I select the three pin 2.4kw charger from octopus.energys list of charging devices.......

Questions:

If the io has assumed 2.4kw charging then perhaps it stopped the charge at around 5.30am? That doesn't work out though as at 8 amps or 1.9kw the car would have been charged to 88%?
IO works when you accurately set the charge rate to what your charger is capable of. Telling IO your charger is 2.4 then limiting it to 1.9 is where all your problems lie.

For those who missed it there's a very important saving session tonight from 5pm-6pm. 50% more Octopoints as this one is the first triggered by National Grid under their DFS 'demand flexibility service'.
£3.37 per kWh saved to prevent 3 coal-fired power station from starting tonight.. Better make that cuppa a little earlier and keep it in a thermos...

Reactions: Mistake Not
Those 3 coal-fired power stations have been been stood down by National Grid ESO. What a waste of warming up with dirty coal.
At least they won‘t need to fire them up in anger. I have decided to still go all in on this. Master breaker to the house is off and I’m running off the house battery whole house backup. Almost never get to use the feature as the grid is so reliable around here!

Reactions: ElectricPolice
First time connected to charge tonight. It doesn’t create a schedule, it is just charging with the pensive rate…arghhhh

is this normal? Should I stop it from the tesla app?

Edit: It created a schedule shortly and it stopped charging. 11.00-06.00 on IO Tariff :)

First time connected to charge tonight. It doesn’t create a schedule, it is just charging with the pensive rate…arghhhh

is this normal? Should I stop it from the tesla app?
It will create a plan, it might just not right away. Stop it on the Tesla app and set up off peak charging in your car's settings the next time you're in it to end at 05:30. When IO generates a schedule it will signal your car to start charging as appropriate.

Reactions: giorgosa
Got the dreaded email letting me know my Go deal is coming to an end soon...

Seems like a no brainer going for IO for the longer off peak window but it opens up a huge can of worms;
  • I have a house battery so any extra slots will drain that
  • Doesn't look like you can set up two cars on IO which isn't helpful because I have two cars
  • I share one charger between said two cars so I'm not sure how the smart charging would work as one car will always be unplugged.
I know I can just sack off the smart charging but it does feel like I'm cheating. Has anyone else have the same set up and how do you get it all to work?

I wish they could have kept the costs between Go and IO the same...

• I have a house battery so any extra slots will drain that
Does your inverter app have the facility for block discharge settings? Ours allows three sessions, one is set 23.30-05.30 and IO is set to a finish time of 05.30 so when additional IO slots are scheduled they will always be earlier than 23.30. If so, I set another block discharge period to cover it. Car charging never drains the house batteries.
  • Doesn't look like you can set up two cars on IO which isn't helpful because I have two cars
Our Tesla uses IO smart charging & the other car is charged on separate nights using a schedule on the car or on the Zappi charging device. Having said that, the other car is only driven locally, has around 150 miles range even in winter & only needs a small occasional charge.
  • I share one charger between said two cars so I'm not sure how the smart charging would work as one car will always be unplugged.
If a charge is needed when the Tesla is already scheduled via IO (extremely rare), we use the 10a UMC via an external 13a socket & set the charge from the cars' timer.