Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything you've ever wanted to know about the heat pump

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s hoping some of that genius bleeds into the AutoWipers team at some point.
Genius can't change the laws of physics.

The heat pump works because they're using good heat pump hardware which can implement a heat pump.

Autowipers with camera can never work right, regardless of how clever or genius they are. The camera has a focus at long distances. The rain detection needs to be 2 millimeters away. Camera does not emit light. You need illumination of the glass at night. The autowiper is trying to discern rain from vague changes in continually moving background images. It can't and it adds unneeded computational load. Remember, the rain is right on top of the camera---it is not like your human perception where you can focus on the windscreen itself and see rain because your eyeball is 60 cm behind and has autofocus.

There is a long standing solution, a rain sensor, which is inexpensive and solves the problem with correct physics. It used to be in some older Tesla cars, but was taken out. The solution is to change Elon's mind and he doesn't ever do that when he thinks he has a sort of half assed idea when it saves him money.

The auto-brights used to be a problem and then an update fixed it. That was fixable because the relevant sensors (cameras) were physically designed to see light at long distances.

The heat pump would suck if Elon decided certain necessary parts had to be eliminated.

Genius can't change the laws of physics.

Autowipers with camera can never work right, regardless of how clever or genius they are. The camera has a focus at long distances. The rain detection needs to be 2 millimeters away. Camera does not emit light. You need illumination of the glass at night. The autowiper is trying to discern rain from vague changes in continually moving background images. It can't and it adds unneeded computational load. Remember, the rain is right on top of the camera---it is not like your human perception where you can focus on the windscreen itself and see rain because your eyeball is 60 cm behind and has autofocus.
Sadly, agree.
There is a long standing solution, a rain sensor, which is inexpensive and solves the problem with correct physics. It used to be in some older Tesla cars, but was taken out. The solution is to change Elon's mind and he doesn't ever do that when he thinks he has a sort of half assed idea when it saves him money.
From my limited reading, Elon has never backed away from a hardware decision and only occasionally done so with some software UI issues that raised so much ruckus he likely felt forced to do so. I’m certain even that stuck in his craw though.

This is what you'd get if Sandy Munro were a teacher, not an automotive engineer specializing in machine tools and manufacturing. I've watched this series of videos on the octovalve. It was impressive but mind numbing.

This guy is an excellent teacher IMHO. He tears things down like Munro et al but he then explains how it all works. Great stuff!

John Kelly rocks! Thanks for sharing. Really interesting and informative content. Appreciated the editing too.

Reactions: BitJam
Thanks for sharing. I love seeing these things and learning about the engineering that went behind the design and construction of my Tesla. This reminds me of the Apollo moon missions, and the movie/event of Apollo 13 where they had to figure out a way to recycle their CO2 into breathable O2.

Reactions: BitJam
Thanks for the link. This shows that Tesla hires very good engineers. The competitors will copy non patented aspects of this design for sure which is good for customers who buy non Tesla vehicles. We know that Toyota has disassembled a Tesla to see its design. Toyota might be first to design Tesla inspired heat pumps.

Thanks for the link. This shows that Tesla hires very good engineers. The competitors will copy non patented aspects of this design for sure which is good for customers who buy non Tesla vehicles. We know that Toyota has disassembled a Tesla to see its design. Toyota might be first to design Tesla inspired heat pumps.
Not a given. Teslas patent portfolio has been wide-open for manufacturers to learn from the R&D that Tesla did but they still insist on banging their heads against a brick wall to blaze their own path for whatever stubborn reason.

Keep in mind that what he's discussing in this video comprises 3-5 different divisions/departments of traditional manufacturers. Most have different heads and employees and all of them fight for their team. This is one of the things freely admitted to in early super manifold/bottle examination videos by the likes of Sandy Munro, et al. It basically did the task of 3 or so different systems in a traditional car. You still see these separate systems in legacy manufacturers new EV cars as a direct result of that sort of established politics that goes on in the legacy manufacturers.

It's a real mess and is why when you see an EV from a legacy manufacturer it tends to use a frame from an existing vehicle and has horrid volumetric usage to include next-to-no storage in frunk in most cases. Manufacturers just see that as an available engine bay to fill with inefficient components rather than making their systems more efficient, simplifying them or both.

Last edited:
Not a given. Teslas patent portfolio has been wide-open for manufacturers to learn from the R&D that Tesla did but they still insist on banging their heads against a brick wall to blaze their own path for whatever stubborn reason.

Keep in mind that what he's discussing in this video comprises 3-5 different divisions/departments of traditional manufacturers. Most have different heads and employees and all of them fight for their team. This is one of the things freely admitted to in early super manifold/bottle examination videos by the likes of Sandy Munro, et al. It basically did the task of 3 or so different systems in a traditional car. You still see these separate systems in legacy manufacturers new EV cars as a direct result of that sort of established politics that goes on in the legacy manufacturers.

It's a real mess and is why when you see an EV from a legacy manufacturer it tends to use a frame from an existing vehicle and has horrid volumetric usage to include next-to-no storage in frunk in most cases. Manufacturers just see that as an available engine bay to fill with inefficient components rather than making their systems more efficient, simplifying them or both.
Competitors will have no choice but to combine and simplify parts or they will not be able to compete in pricing. Especially now that Tesla is going down market with the Model 2.

I’d offer that legacy manufacturers do this to QUICKLY adapt to market whims to get a product out the door. But behind the scenes more rigorous planning and design efforts ultimately replace that. Two examples: GM and Kia/Hyundai but there are others. Both have developed ground-up EV platforms, and delivered vehicles on them. Polestar could be argued to be Geely’s/Volvo’s ground-up EV platform. Early on, Nissan’s LEAF did share some components from its Versa platform but overcame such that subsequent models are much less so…more evolutionary than big bang.

The EV market has changed for the better and done so in a relatively short period of time, maybe even less than five years. I find that pretty exciting.

I’d also like my Model 3’s wipers to work better but I’ve lost all hope.