Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evgo 350 kW 4 station charger in Baker, Ca. (June 2017)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
Tesla owners with the Chademo adapter will be able to charge in Baker as an option soon:

I'm not sure I would call June, 2017 "soon." And that is their estimate, it may not be available even then.

And isn't the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter limited to 50kW? Better than AC Level 2, but still no Supercharger. I wonder if Tesla will be able to increase that limit via firmware, or if they will make a new adapter. (Or maybe the will leave CHAdeMO at 50kW and create a CCS adapter that can handle more current.)

Reactions: apacheguy
Awesome - hope they are successful and can put these high power ones all over the country. The chademo I've used so far are only half as fast as superchargers. Maybe they'll space them out from superchargers a little to attract tesla users?

Awesome - hope they are successful and can put these high power ones all over the country. The chademo I've used so far are only half as fast as superchargers. Maybe they'll space them out from superchargers a little to attract tesla users?

But how much are they going to charge for it? What if it costs 2x what Tesla charges? (Once Tesla starts charging.)

And Tesla still needs to make a higher power capable DCFC adapter, since I don't think the 50kW CHAdeMO adapter is going to cause many Tesla owners to stop. (Not to mention you have to have the $450 adapter.)

If someone has a Chademo-Tesla adapter will this station be able to charge the Tesla as fast as a Supercharger?

RT
The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 125 amps, like all current 50kW charging stations are.

The proposed spec for the 350kW chargers is 1000 Volts and 350 Amps. There are no cars on the market yet that have battery packs over 410VDC, so even a 500 Volt charger spec is never reached. The Porsche Mission E, with 800VDC pack might eventually be able to draw 280kW from these stations, but probably more like 260kW peak.

Some existing 50kW chargers are 500V-100A and some are 500V-125A. I believe that Superchargers are specified to 370 Amps. I expect Tesla will eventually release a 350 Amp CCS adapter. The reason I think this is the likely adapter is that there will probably be CCS-only high power stations, but not CHAdeMO-only high power stations. Currently, there are CHAdeMO-only 50kW stations and no CCS-only 50kW stations, at least in the United States. There will of course be dual-standard stations like this one claims to be, so that would not drive the decision about which flavor of high power adapter Tesla should make.

Let's get some photos of this site as it is constructed. 350kW Yikes!

Of note: To be clear, 350 kW is extremely powerful. Tesla’s Superchargers have a max power output of 120–135 kW (adding ~170 miles of range in 30 minutes to a current Tesla car). Other EV fast chargers (aka DC fast chargers) have a max output of 50 kW or less, charging an EV’s battery up to approximately 75 to 100 miles in 30 minutes. Of course, specific electric cars need to be designed to be capable of superfast charging, but that is certainly something automakers are working on.

The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 125 amps, like all current 50kW charging stations are.

The proposed spec for the 350kW chargers is 1000 Volts and 350 Amps. There are no cars on the market yet that have battery packs over 410VDC, so even a 500 Volt charger spec is never reached. The Porsche Mission E, with 800VDC pack might eventually be able to draw 280kW from these stations, but probably more like 260kW peak.

Some existing 50kW chargers are 500V-100A and some are 500V-125A. I believe that Superchargers are specified to 370 Amps. I expect Tesla will eventually release a 350 Amp CCS adapter. The reason I think this is the likely adapter is that there will probably be CCS-only high power stations, but not CHAdeMO-only high power stations. Currently, there are CHAdeMO-only 50kW stations and no CCS-only 50kW stations, at least in the United States. There will of course be dual-standard stations like this one claims to be, so that would not drive the decision about which flavor of high power adapter Tesla should make.

Do we know that the actual hardware limit of the CHAdeMO adapter is 125A? Or did Tesla maybe rate it that way based on what was available, with some capacity in reserve to be unlocked by firmware update?

FYI - there are CCS only 50 kW stations. They aren't common, but the DCFC station at Royal Farms right outside my work on Chargepoint's network is CCS only - actually the only DCFC within about 20 miles from me.

(of course, 20 miles away is the Newark SpC, 12 stations of free fast juice.)

Do we know that the actual hardware limit of the CHAdeMO adapter is 125A? Or did Tesla maybe rate it that way based on what was available, with some capacity in reserve to be unlocked by firmware update?
I don't personally have one, but my understanding is that the 125 amp limit is specified on the label portion of the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. I doubt anyone except those directly involved in its development know the extent to which that limit could be increased by firmware update.

FYI - there are CCS only 50 kW stations. They aren't common, but the DCFC station at Royal Farms right outside my work on Chargepoint's network is CCS only - actually the only DCFC within about 20 miles from me.

(of course, 20 miles away is the Newark SpC, 12 stations of free fast juice.)

Looks like the 125A is matched with the actual component ratings. See the adapter teardown here: CHAdeMO Adapter Tear Down

Reactions: Ulmo
Well,
I looked around back of where the thermometer was based on the picture in the original article. So standing in the far back of the parking lot, I took pictures facing left, then directly at the thermometer, then to the right. Here are the pictures...

The middle picture shows the thermometer and the U.S. flag in the background, so the new charging station should be right there. The building on the left is an old "Bun Boy" restaurant and motel that is no longer in use. One thing is for sure, there is plenty of available room to put in as many charging stations as anyone can deploy. The power available may be another story though...

RT

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff N and Zoomit
Bump.

Been about 6 weeks since I took the pictures. Anyone seen any news or activity at the site? Supposed to be up and running in June.

This location is a very short walk from the Alien Fresh Jerky store, and I know everyone making the trek to Vegas stops at the jerky store, even if you won't admit it!

Note to noobs: Avoid the Colon Cleanser variety. Just trust me...

RT

I did a drive through on a trip on or around March 26th and the lot looked the same as it does in your pics. It has looked that way for a couple years now but at least they got the thermometer back up and running. It was dark for about a decade.

The location is not bad, considering it is Baker. There are a couple gas stations a few hundred feet in either direction and a large cluster of fast food joints (as well as a Denny's) about a quarter mile away. At 350kW, I don't think you will have time to walk there and back unless you call in your order and are an Olympic level sprinter :)

Lastly, I'm somewhat skeptical that this is necessarily the actual location they will put this thing. If they merely had the vague idea that they were putting it somewhere in Baker, the artist's rendering of the site next to the thermometer could just be because the thermometer is the only landmark in the town.

Last edited:
Lastly, I'm somewhat skeptical that this is necessarily the actual location they will put this thing. If they merely had the vague idea that they were putting it somewhere in Baker, the artist's rendering of the site next to the thermometer could just be because the thermometer is the only landmark in the town.
According to report just filed by EVgo with the CA PUC just a week ago on April 5:

1. EVgo is finalizing all design features for the high power charging station at the World’s Tallest Thermometer in Baker, California. EVgo will be submitting for permit and is expected to receive permit approval and utility final design in the next quarter.

• Funny
Reactions: Zoomit and MP3Mike
Jeff thanks for your post. So the June 2017 date won't be met. Not a surprise. If it happens by the end of 2017 I will be surprised. But I assume it will happen eventually.
The Porsche Mission E, with 800VDC pack might eventually be able to draw 280kW from these stations, but probably more like 260kW peak.
Ah yes, the mythical Mission E. I think this EvGo station will be ready years before that car is available for sale in California...

The revised map show a Tesla SuperCharger will come around there too

They are going to be selling a lot more jerky at the Alien Fresh Jerky store shortly. Note: This is not a recommendation to buy stock in the Alien Fresh Jerky store, there is a good chance that TSLA will outperform AFJS. YMMV...

RT

P.S. I will be passing through again on 6-18. I'll photograph the thermometer site, and the Tesla site too if we know where it is by then.