Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evgo 350 kW 4 station charger in Baker, Ca. (June 2017)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slightly off-topic, but still Baker:

'Way back when in the '50s-'70s, Baker was the only spot between Vegas and Barstow to get gas and food for those traveling on I-15 or its predecessor, US91/466. There was a pawn shop attached to one of the local restaurants that would let those who left all their money in Lost Wages hock something of modest value in order to have enough money to buy gas and/or grab a bite to eat in order to get home.

Perhaps. I think an hour of CHAdeMO charging yields about 100 miles? Roughly the equivalent of 4 gallons of gasoline at $5.50 a gallon. Maybe that's not bad in California -- haven't been there in a while.
We're talking about the next generation of chargers here in Baker, so presumably people that can use that station would get something more than 50kW. Anyway, running today's Tesla CHAdeMO adapter at 125 amps for an hour should give you about 150 miles of range, not 100. Looks like you're using 25mpg equivalent, so that's $3.66/gal, which is exactly what Regular gas costs in Baker today. Also, a non-Tesla driver that uses fast charging more than twice a month in California should be paying EVgo for the $15/mo plan that reduces the price to $6/hr. In that case, 600 miles per month only costs $39 and the equivalent cost is $1.625/gal.

Reactions: Jeff N
We're talking about the next generation of chargers here in Baker, so presumably people that can use that station would get something more than 50kW. Anyway, running today's Tesla CHAdeMO adapter at 125 amps for an hour should give you about 150 miles of range, not 100. Looks like you're using 25mpg equivalent, so that's $3.66/gal, which is exactly what Regular gas costs in Baker today. Also, a non-Tesla driver that uses fast charging more than twice a month in California should be paying EVgo for the $15/mo plan that reduces the price to $6/hr. In that case, 600 miles per month only costs $39 and the equivalent cost is $1.625/gal.
I guess we all have different experinces. Mine are that real, not theoretical, CHAdeMO chargers give about 95 A or 30-32 kW. Granted, I don't have a lot of experience. That is what the one EVgo charger I used provided. Right at 100 mph.

I guess we all have different experinces. Mine are that real, not theoretical, CHAdeMO chargers give about 95 A or 30-32 kW. Granted, I don't have a lot of experience. That is what the one EVgo charger I used provided. Right at 100 mph.
Sure, that can happen. There are a lot of different CHAdeMO chargers out there and they have different limitations, both by design, and by environmental or maintenance influence. Some even shut down when they overheat instead of slowing down.

Honestly, I jumped on your comment because you seemed dismissive of the value of the whole Baker site. In reality, anyone who drives any significant amount on EVgo fast chargers is not going to pay the Flex Plan fees of $5.95/session + $0.20/minute. I only pay that because I only use them about 5 sessions a year and don't want to get stuck paying $15/month for something I'm not using. However, when I do need them, I don't mind paying that price for the convenience compared to L2 charging or renting/borrowing an ICE vehicle.

Reactions: McRat
Some EVgo chargers that only output 100A are made by BTC, are physically larger, and have a large display screen showing voltage and amperage during charging. The other typical EVgo chargers are made by ABB, are less wide, have a smaller screen that doesn't show voltage and amperage on the screen, and outputs up to 125A.

Some EVgo chargers that only output 100A are made by BTC, are physically larger, and have a large display screen showing voltage and amperage during charging. The other typical EVgo chargers are made by ABB, are less wide, have a smaller screen that doesn't show voltage and amperage on the screen, and outputs up to 125A.
Thanks! Do they all shut off at 30 minutes, forcing the payment of the $5 start fee again, or do the ABB ones keep working longer without having to go back to the car every 30 minutes to restart?

ABB shuts off after 30 min. also. That's what EVGo has in Austin. It never gave me more than 40kW, usually in mid 30's, and I only gained 60 miles in the 30 minutes. This was when I tried it soon after installation when they weren't charging for it yet.

ABB shuts off after 30 min. also. That's what EVGo has in Austin. It never gave me more than 40kW, usually in mid 30's, and I only gained 60 miles in the 30 minutes. This was when I tried it soon after installation when they weren't charging for it yet.
I think some people have claimed to get up to 48 kW or so using the Tesla adapter at 125A. At least that is my impression -- I haven't seen it in person. That was likely on an S85 or larger pack that operates at a somewhat higher voltage range than the smaller Model S packs.