TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EVGO cost?

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by sceptic, Aug 2, 2019.

1. sceptic

sceptic Member

Is there some way (other than paying to use it - I still have some free charging so not anxious to do it now) to determine the cost for EVgo?

The website lists a cost/minute but I don't know how many kwhours/minute will charge and I can't seem to find it by searching. The reason I'm interested is that there are 4 of these chargers that are never in use (newly opened so perhaps no one knows about them?) a few minutes from superchargers that are always full. So I'm thinking this could be a nice alternative when I have to pay (yes I know I could charge at home.....but it's super slow and I'd like to have a choice). On the plus side this is right outside a library so I can use the time without being tempted to buy something I don't need ;)

2. JayNJ

JayNJ Member

Depends on site, charging adapter used, and the car's state of charge. Looking at the ones by me, Chademo is 50 kw. 0.35 per minute. So assuming your car can take the full 50 kW, that works out to $0.42 per kWh.

3. redgt

redgt Member

where are you thinking of charging? there are a handful of EVGO stations in CA that have free chademo charging

4. sceptic

sceptic Member

What is the formula? It says 80 kw and I think it was .30/min I have a one month old model 3 standard (not plus)

I thought it was 1772 but it's chademo and "combo" so I'd have to buy an adapter. It's in the parking lot of a library and there is a free chargepoint close by that is free (paid by Target when they are open) but it's pretty much always occupied. Since this new one just opened a few weeks ago don't know if it will become more used but right now it's pretty much empty all the time.

5. miimura

miimura Active Member

The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 125 A DC. Some EVgo stations only deliver 100A DC. Pack voltage on a Tesla is about 350-400VDC depending on SOC. So, in a 30 minute session you will usually get between 17 and 23 kWh. At $0.30/minute you will pay $9.00 for an effective $0.39-$0.52/kWh, depending on how many kWh the car actually took.

If you're looking to decide whether or not to buy the CHAdeMO adapter, it is rarely justifiable on purely a cost of charging basis. The value is in whether there are CHAdeMO fast chargers where you need them and it saves you time. For example, if you don't have home charging and there is a CHAdeMO outside the gym where you regularly work out but your would have to make a 30 minute round trip to an Urban Supercharger, then it makes sense.

6. redgt

redgt Member

where is the evgo chademo station? if it is in northern california it just might be F-R-E-E

7. sceptic

sceptic Member

It is in N. Ca (Peninsula area south of SF) but I don't see any free chademo stations near me - where do u find them? (I've looked on plugshare and evgo sites).

8. Kailua Rider

Kailua Rider Member

Check out Home Page - DRIVEtheARC

There is an app that allows you to check for the free Chademo stations in the Bay Area to Lake Tahoe.
    I’ve used it a few times with my adapter and it’s great.

9. redgt

redgt Member

Home Page - DRIVEtheARC

Lots of EVGO in that area but only a handful are free. They have an app and you need to go thru the app to get the free charging at some EVGO stations. You get a "ticket" then scan the barcode on the charger and boom free charging

10. sceptic

sceptic Member

Thanks for the info

I WAS JUST NOTIFIED THIS WAS MOVED B/C NOT SPECIFIC TO MODEL 3 !!! - but I think it is b/c model 3 has DIFFERENT capabilities for charging as I understand it - isn't that right?

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

US Model S and X has had compatibility with CHAdeMO via the $450 adapter (CHAdeMO Adapter) for years. It didn't work on the US Model 3 until very recently.

US Model S, X and 3 have been compatible with J1772 L1 and L2 EVSEs since day 1 via the free SAE J1772 Charging Adapter that comes with you car.

No US Tesla is currently compatible with SAE Combo aka Combo1 flavor of CCS.

• Informative x 1