Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVGO cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there some way (other than paying to use it - I still have some free charging so not anxious to do it now) to determine the cost for EVgo?

The website lists a cost/minute but I don't know how many kwhours/minute will charge and I can't seem to find it by searching. The reason I'm interested is that there are 4 of these chargers that are never in use (newly opened so perhaps no one knows about them?) a few minutes from superchargers that are always full. So I'm thinking this could be a nice alternative when I have to pay (yes I know I could charge at home.....but it's super slow and I'd like to have a choice). On the plus side this is right outside a library so I can use the time without being tempted to buy something I don't need ;)

Is there some way (other than paying to use it - I still have some free charging so not anxious to do it now) to determine the cost for EVgo?

The website lists a cost/minute but I don't know how many kwhours/minute will charge and I can't seem to find it by searching. The reason I'm interested is that there are 4 of these chargers that are never in use (newly opened so perhaps no one knows about them?) a few minutes from superchargers that are always full. So I'm thinking this could be a nice alternative when I have to pay (yes I know I could charge at home.....but it's super slow and I'd like to have a choice). On the plus side this is right outside a library so I can use the time without being tempted to buy something I don't need ;)

Depends on site, charging adapter used, and the car's state of charge. Looking at the ones by me, Chademo is 50 kw. 0.35 per minute. So assuming your car can take the full 50 kW, that works out to $0.42 per kWh.

where are you thinking of charging? there are a handful of EVGO stations in CA that have free chademo charging

Depends on site, charging adapter used, and the car's state of charge. Looking at the ones by me, Chademo is 50 kw. 0.35 per minute. So assuming your car can take the full 50 kW, that works out to $0.42 per kWh.

What is the formula? It says 80 kw and I think it was .30/min I have a one month old model 3 standard (not plus)

where are you thinking of charging? there are a handful of EVGO stations in CA that have free chademo charging

I thought it was 1772 but it's chademo and "combo" so I'd have to buy an adapter. It's in the parking lot of a library and there is a free chargepoint close by that is free (paid by Target when they are open) but it's pretty much always occupied. Since this new one just opened a few weeks ago don't know if it will become more used but right now it's pretty much empty all the time.

The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 125 A DC. Some EVgo stations only deliver 100A DC. Pack voltage on a Tesla is about 350-400VDC depending on SOC. So, in a 30 minute session you will usually get between 17 and 23 kWh. At $0.30/minute you will pay $9.00 for an effective $0.39-$0.52/kWh, depending on how many kWh the car actually took.

If you're looking to decide whether or not to buy the CHAdeMO adapter, it is rarely justifiable on purely a cost of charging basis. The value is in whether there are CHAdeMO fast chargers where you need them and it saves you time. For example, if you don't have home charging and there is a CHAdeMO outside the gym where you regularly work out but your would have to make a 30 minute round trip to an Urban Supercharger, then it makes sense.

What is the formula? It says 80 kw and I think it was .30/min I have a one month old model 3 standard (not plus)

I thought it was 1772 but it's chademo and "combo" so I'd have to buy an adapter. It's in the parking lot of a library and there is a free chargepoint close by that is free (paid by Target when they are open) but it's pretty much always occupied. Since this new one just opened a few weeks ago don't know if it will become more used but right now it's pretty much empty all the time.

where is the evgo chademo station? if it is in northern california it just might be F-R-E-E

I WAS JUST NOTIFIED THIS WAS MOVED B/C NOT SPECIFIC TO MODEL 3 !!! - but I think it is b/c model 3 has DIFFERENT capabilities for charging as I understand it - isn't that right?
US Model S and X has had compatibility with CHAdeMO via the $450 adapter (CHAdeMO Adapter) for years. It didn't work on the US Model 3 until very recently.

US Model S, X and 3 have been compatible with J1772 L1 and L2 EVSEs since day 1 via the free SAE J1772 Charging Adapter that comes with you car.

No US Tesla is currently compatible with SAE Combo aka Combo1 flavor of CCS.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H