Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVgo Level 3 fast Charging Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Model S LR and the car stops charging within 5 sec. The error on the station states “Charging error. The vehicle detected a problem and ended charging.” Anybody else had luck charging successfully at a EVgo station that has a Tesla connector? Other Tesla models have no issue on the same station. 2021 Model 3 charged with no issue. I tried a different EVgo station and got the same error. Don’t have a ChadeMO adapter though. This is the closest fast charger to me and the nearest Supercharger is 17mi. Appreciate any pointers to help with this issue.

My car has no issue at a Supercharger so Tesla is playing hot potato. EVgo customer service seems like an abyss with no resolution besides rebooting the station.

Are your amps on the car's charging window set to 48A, which the EVgo cannot support? I don't think the EVgo will negotiate the maximum charge, so try manually setting this to a low number, and then increase to the max the EVgo you are connected to will support. I have never used one, but this is just a thought to try out. J1772 is 7.2KW, 30A

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Are your amps on the car's charging window set to 48A, which the EVgo cannot support? I don't think the EVgo will negotiate the maximum charge, so try manually setting this to a low number, and then increase to the max the EVgo you are connected to will support. I have never used one, but this is just a thought to try out. J1772 is 7.2KW, 30A
My issue is with the level 3 charger which is supposed to provide 50kW, 125A. My car is set to 48A which I would assume shouldn't be an issue for this station.

Level 2 charging at a separate EVgo station has no issue.

Upvote 0
No EvGo within 100 miles of me, and all stations in the south I have checked, including north Atlanta and Tennessee are level 2 charging $20 an hour. Of no use where I go. I'll keep checking. Maybe they will expand like everyone is expecting to provide good charging at a reasonable rate. Yeah, the 48A charge setting is only applicable to level 2 charging, which is all I thought Evgo could do.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• IMG-20210828-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210828-WA0003.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 800
Upvote 0
If it's a level 2 J1772 station (but the thread title says level 3) it MUST negotiate a max current delivery, that's the whole point of J1772. If it doesn't, then it's not J1772 compliant. But this is a moot point for an L3 station. The 48A setting (or whatever is shown) is only used for L2 charging. It has no meaning for L3.

No EvGo within 100 miles of me, and all stations in the south I have checked, including north Atlanta and Tennessee are level 2 charging $20 an hour. Of no use where I go. I'll keep checking. Maybe they will expand like everyone is expecting to provide good charging at a reasonable rate. Yeah, the 48A charge setting is only applicable to level 2 charging, which is all I thought Evgo could do.
I think you're confusing L2 48A with L3 48kW? EVGo is $0.30/min in GA, $0.35/min in TN ($18 or $21 per hour), which is reasonable for L3 @ 50kW. One hour of charging at 50kW gives you 50kWh of electricity, for $18 or $21/hr. That's $0.36 or $0.42/kWh, which is reasonable.

EDIT - See EV Charging Costs: Pricing and Plan for EV Charging - EVgo L2 are $1.50/hr (again, reasonable, ~$0.25/kWh for a 30A L2 station)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My issue is with the level 3 charger which is supposed to provide 50kW, 125A. My car is set to 48A which I would assume shouldn't be an issue for this station.

Level 2 charging at a separate EVgo station has no issue.
The 48A setting is used for L2, AC charging. L3 is DC fast charging (supercharger, CCS, Chademo are all L3); the 48A setting is irrelevant. The onboard chargers are bypassed; the L3 station feeds high voltage DC directly to the battery and the voltage and current called for by the battery management system.

Upvote 0
These EVgo stations essentially have custom Tesla Chademo adapters bolted onto the side of them as I recall.

Has anyone confirmed the refresh S can charge successfully with the Tesla Chademo adapter? Would be just like Tesla to ship the car without that sorted yet.

Upvote 0
It is very confusing, as all EVgo locations I look at only offer level 2 at 7.2kw, unless you have chademo or CCS, which the thread writer said he didn't have. Therefore, I thought he was using it as a level 2. No where in the EVgo app does it indicate Tesla compatibility at any stations I have looked at, and none near me. Therefore, I was wondering about the J1772 adapter and the 48A setting, which may not be an issue anyway. I don't think CCS adapters for Tesla are out yet in USA . I have looked on Tesla website.

So, please list a location on EVgo where I can charge my Tesla without a Chademo or CCS adapter at level 3, or explain how those are identified in the app. If not, I don't really see the use except for an emergency.

Upvote 0
So, please list a location on EVgo where I can charge my Tesla without a Chademo or CCS adapter at level 3, or explain how those are identified in the app.
Tesla Model 3, S, X & Y Charging with EVgo Fast Charging has a map.

I took the video at EVgo reportedly adding Tesla plugs to their DC fast chargers showing the modified CHAdeMO to Tesla adapters at that site, bolted onto the side. Further in that thread are suggestions on how to find them.

Here are a few example sites with these:

Tesla - DC-Maryland-Virginia seems to indicate these locations also happen to have the bolted to the side adapters.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
It is very confusing, as all EVgo locations I look at only offer level 2 at 7.2kw
...because you are in Kentucky.
So, please list a location on EVgo where I can charge my Tesla without a Chademo or CCS adapter at level 3
Almost all of the ones in California. They may have done just a few of them in Oregon and Washington, but I don't think any other states.

Upvote 0
I still continue to be limited by the vehicle at EVgo 50kW fast chargers upto 30-35%. Can anybody in CA or MD with refresh 21MS or newer confirm this issue? The charging stops like clockwork with errors CP-a55 and FC-a184. Again, no issues at any supercharger. These are the stations with a Tesla connector retrofitted so I am not using any adapters of my own.

Upvote 0
I still continue to be limited by the vehicle at EVgo 50kW fast chargers upto 30-35%. Can anybody in CA or MD with refresh 21MS or newer confirm this issue? The charging stops like clockwork with errors CP-a55 and FC-a184. Again, no issues at any supercharger. These are the stations with a Tesla connector retrofitted so I am not using any adapters of my own.
Are you able to charge at 50 KW up to 35% SOC? I have a 2022 MSLR, and we have DC Fast Chargers with ChaDeMo adapters at work, and they do not work on my car. I see communication errors. But I have more than 40% when I plug in.

Upvote 0
Are you able to charge at 50 KW up to 35% SOC? I have a 2022 MSLR, and we have DC Fast Chargers with ChaDeMo adapters at work, and they do not work on my car. I see communication errors. But I have more than 40% when I plug in.
Yes, I am able to charge up to 30% SOC for sure and up to 35% on a good day. Any attempt to charge with SOC above 35%, the car throws those errors and charging stops within 5secs. My request to you is to try that station with battery at 20%.

Upvote 0