Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVgo Level 3 fast Charging Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Model S LR and the car stops charging within 5 sec. The error on the station states “Charging error. The vehicle detected a problem and ended charging.” Anybody else had luck charging successfully at a EVgo station that has a Tesla connector? Other Tesla models have no issue on the same station. 2021 Model 3 charged with no issue. I tried a different EVgo station and got the same error. Don’t have a ChadeMO adapter though. This is the closest fast charger to me and the nearest Supercharger is 17mi. Appreciate any pointers to help with this issue.

My car has no issue at a Supercharger so Tesla is playing hot potato. EVgo customer service seems like an abyss with no resolution besides rebooting the station.

I brought this up with Tesla service a couple of months ago. They said wait for a SW update.😄
Yea, same here but I want to get to the bottom of why limit the refresh and not other models?!?! Something about the battery chemical composition being different but it’s not like 50kW at EVgo exceeds what superchargers puts out. Seems more bureaucratic than technical.

Phase 2 of this would be to see if the same errors show up with a Tesla Chademo adapter bypassing the EVgo built in adapter. That would at least confirm a technical limitation.

Upvote 0
Yea, same here but I want to get to the bottom of why limit the refresh and not other models?!?! Something about the battery chemical composition being different but it’s not like 50kW at EVgo exceeds what superchargers puts out. Seems more bureaucratic than technical.

Phase 2 of this would be to see if the same errors show up with a Tesla Chademo adapter bypassing the EVgo built in adapter. That would at least confirm a technical limitation.
Saw your earlier posts and sounds like you have a Tesla chademo adapter. If so, would you please also test using that adapter and 20% SOC.

Upvote 0
Saw your earlier posts and sounds like you have a Tesla chademo adapter. If so, would you please also test using that adapter and 20% SOC.
I was able to charge via the ChaDeMo adapter today. The SOC was 22%. It stopped charging at 49%. I updated to 2022.8 last night. The charge rate was 40 KW when it worked. I couldn't restsrt charging, after it stopped.

So, it appears that if the SOC is low enough, it will charge. I will try other SOC's later.

Too bad it still will not fully charge.

Upvote 0
That’s great news! And charging to 49% vs 35% is even better. You have LR or Plaid? Wonder why the difference?!?!

EVgo customer service at one point emailed stating that it’s charging up to 60% but I could never verify.

Next time please try the built-in EVgo adapter and see if you get 49%.

Upvote 0
That’s great news! And charging to 49% vs 35% is even better. You have LR or Plaid? Wonder why the difference?!?!

EVgo customer service at one point emailed stating that it’s charging up to 60% but I could never verify.

Next time please try the built-in EVgo adapter and see if you get 49%.
This is a DC fast charger in our company garage, administered by ChargePoint. The Tesla ChadeMo adapter is provided for the employees, free of charge.

Perhaps you can try an Evgo station with supplied CHAdeMO, after you installed 2022.8.2.

I have the LR. Should be same as Plaid as far as charging is concerned.

Upvote 0
This is a DC fast charger in our company garage, administered by ChargePoint. The Tesla ChadeMo adapter is provided for the employees, free of charge.

Perhaps you can try an Evgo station with supplied CHAdeMO, after you installed 2022.8.2.

I have the LR. Should be same as Plaid as far as charging is concerned.
Well I updated to software 2022.8.2 and tried again at EVgo. Started at 9% and it stopped charging at 29% SOC. Not sure if our comparison is apples to apples as the adapters are different. Is Tesla discriminating between its adapter and the Frankenstein EVgo adapter?!?! EVgo does get a firmware update from Tesla and a field tech installs them as and when they service the station.

Thanks for running this check with me. The mystery still remains unsolved to some extent :)

Upvote 0
I have a 2021 Model S LR and the car stops charging within 5 sec. The error on the station states “Charging error. The vehicle detected a problem and ended charging.” Anybody else had luck charging successfully at a EVgo station that has a Tesla connector? Other Tesla models have no issue on the same station. 2021 Model 3 charged with no issue. I tried a different EVgo station and got the same error. Don’t have a ChadeMO adapter though. This is the closest fast charger to me and the nearest Supercharger is 17mi. Appreciate any pointers to help with this issue.

My car has no issue at a Supercharger so Tesla is playing hot potato. EVgo customer service seems like an abyss with no resolution besides rebooting the station.
I have a 2021 model Y and was using EVGo for close to a year at 8000 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90046 the 50kw charger has the Tesla connector too. However about 2 months ago my car started having the same issue. The lower my battery percentage the longer it charges, anywhere from 2-8 mins at the fast charge rate. I see the charge adaptor error too and the Evgo Station sometimes drops to 8-12 Kw and keeps charging for a few more minutes but most of the time it stops displaying an error on the EVGo station saying car stopped the charging due to an error. I can keep disconnecting and reconnecting and it will charge for 2 mins each time at 50kw and then the same issue repeats. One thing I noticed is that the cable and charge head get really warm sometimes when I do that which is not an issue at a Tesla supercharger. I can still charge totally fine with the Tesla fast chargers with no problems. I went in for a service appointment and they basically changed the charge port on my car but the issue is still there with EVgo fast chargers. I even tested it on a different station ( chevron Westwood blvd ) that one is supposed to charge at 200kw but it starts at 45kw and has the exact same issue after 2 minutes. I am perplexed as what this issue is since I see a lot of Tesla’s charging at both these Evgo stations with no issues and the funny part is my car used to be fine at both these stations too until one day this started happening. This is super inconvenient since I rely heavily on fast charging and Tesla super chargers are at very inconvenient and distant locations. If anyone had any luck with resolving this please share I will do the same if I figure it out 🤞🏼.

Upvote 0