Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVgo lowers pricing, gets rid of 30 minute auto-shutoff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bro1999

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
EVgo Lowers Prices For DC Fast Charging Of Electric Vehicles

New shutoff time is 45 minutes (60 minutes for subscribers during off-peak hours). About damn time, I say.
Also, if I'm understanding correctly, the new $9.99 monthly fee will also cover the first $9.99 in charging fees for the month. So If you charge twice during the month and get charged exactly $9.99, those 2 charges are essentially "free".

Last edited:
Now that EVGo dropped session fees, all the shutoff time means is you have to push the button again. It doesn’t trigger a fee.

Even so, the rates are still substantially above what Tesla charges for those who don’t have free supercharging. Using Texas rates as an example, I see that EVGo is more than 3x as expensive for those without monthly plan, and more than 2x as expensive for those who pay the monthly fee. Tesla owners would only use this if there are no other options.

One other new policy I noticed on their web site that hasn’t attracted attention in the press coverage— If you are starting with >50% SOC then you will only get level 2 charging rate (presumably about 7 kW).

Now that EVGo dropped session fees, all the shutoff time means is you have to push the button again. It doesn’t trigger a fee.

Even so, the rates are still substantially above what Tesla charges for those who don’t have free supercharging. Using Texas rates as an example, I see that EVGo is more than 3x as expensive for those without monthly plan, and more than 2x as expensive for those who pay the monthly fee. Tesla owners would only use this if there are no other options.

One other new policy I noticed on their web site that hasn’t attracted attention in the press coverage— If you are starting with >50% SOC then you will only get level 2 charging rate (presumably about 7 kW).

They should change the name to EVSlow, so for a full recharge at home I pay $10 for 265 miles of range. What will 45 minutes give me on EVSlow, and that’s if it works.. I just wish they would standardize the charging network on one protocol and one bill payment system - I dont think I have used one of these in 2 years now due to the supercharger network getting more robust.

Where's the part about the 50% SOC fine print?

This is a very welcome change. 45 minutes before the charger shuts down is a big improvement for the majority of new cars that use the service like the larger battery i3, e-Golf, and Leaf. As an occasional user, I found the session fee to be the biggest drawback. The $0.20/minute price also brings it down closer to the cheapest ChargePoint 50kW stations in my area. $0.25/kWh is still a little cheaper though.

One thing that I will point out is that you have to add the new plan to your account on the website or app. It seems that you would continue to be billed on the old plans if you don't do it. Make sure to also delete the old plan from your account or your RFID card may still be tied to the old plan.

• Helpful
Reactions: flankspeed8
That thinking (>50% SOC DC charges the same as L2) is based on first generation Leaf charging characteristics. Even my RAV4 EV (40kWh battery pack) with JdeMO can charge to 80% SOC at max current on all of today's installed EVgo DCFC stations.
So you think they’re talking about the capability of the battery? Perhaps, but I interpreted it as EVGo intentionally lowers the charge rate if you start at >50% SOC to discourage people from using DC charging then. Otherwise why would they put it in the “etiquette” section?

So you think they’re talking about the capability of the battery? Perhaps, but I interpreted it as EVGo intentionally lowers the charge rate if you start at >50% SOC to discourage people from using DC charging then. Otherwise why would they put it in the “etiquette” section?
It's a bit ambiguous on if the charge rate is neutered or if they are assuming a particular vehicle's taper over 50% (like a Leaf)

My personal experience is that EVgo stations will always give what the car asks for. Their point is that the charge taper can slow the charging considerably and you should just move on or move over to the L2 plug so someone else can use the fast charger.

My personal experience is that EVgo stations will always give what the car asks for. Their point is that the charge taper can slow the charging considerably and you should just move on or move over to the L2 plug so someone else can use the fast charger.
Yes, that makes sense. How would an EVgo charge station know that a plugged-in car is at 50% SOC?

I was circling the parking lot at a local outlet mall looking for parking on Saturday and spotted some parking spaces for EVgo. 1 of them has an EV car charging. The rest were occupied by ICE cars. I don't think those EVgo stations are making much money.

I was circling the parking lot at a local outlet mall looking for parking on Saturday and spotted some parking spaces for EVgo. 1 of them has an EV car charging. The rest were occupied by ICE cars. I don't think those EVgo stations are making much money.

The new pricing plan will definitely help people that were hesitant to get an EVgo membership to sign up. But making money with fast charging stations is a tough proposition currently.

I don't think any of the charge networks are making money. EVgo will keep going though even if they lose money because the network is part of a NRG's settlement with the CPUC for price-fixing during the Enron scandal.

I don't think any of the charge networks are making money. EVgo will keep going though even if they lose money because the network is part of a NRG's settlement with the CPUC for price-fixing during the Enron scandal.
EVgo was a part of the initial requirement for NRG, but NRG has since met all of it's requirements of the settlement and has sold EVgo. The two are no longer affiliated and EVgo is subject to the whims of the marketplace for its existence just like any other company.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
EVgo was a part of the initial requirement for NRG, but NRG has since met all of it's requirements of the settlement and has sold EVgo. The two are no longer affiliated and EVgo is subject to the whims of the marketplace for its existence just like any other company.
While it's true that NRG spun off EVgo into an independent company, that company did inherit the settlement requirements and at that time the requirements were not all met. Today, those requirements may or may not be met. Someone posted the report issued from EVgo to the State as of the end of 3Q2017 and it definitely was not complete at that time.

@miimura beat me to it. It was reported at the time when they sold it that they have met the requirements, but that report was later corrected to say that NRG have not met the settlement terms yet and that they are still liable to support the project until the terms are satisfied.

From their latest report (Q4 2017), they still had 17 stations to go before meeting geographic station requirements (see page 3).
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=6442455980
NRG Settlement

However, even after the stations are operational they also have to meet the operating period commitment. Which according to report (page 2) was amended in February 2017 to: "Extended the operating period commitment for the Freedom Stations to December 5, 2020."

So NRG is still liable for the stations at least until then (regardless of how profitable or not they are).

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX and mblakele