Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVGO policy chance affecting Chademo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

deonb

Mar 4, 2013
Redmond, WA
Heads up.

The EVGO Chademo chargers are fairly unreliable, so while a car is charging it would regularly disconnect, and you can't re-start the charge via app. You could however always call up EVGO and tell them to restart it, so it's always been no big deal.

However, I called them back a couple of days ago and EVGO no longer allows a restart via a phonecall. They can't tell me why, except that it's a policy change.

So you now have to go back to the car, unplug it, and plug it back in. This pretty much rules out EVGO for me and may for others as well.

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick
EVgo charges a $5.95 session fee everytime you initiate a charge...so you'll get another session fee when you re-intiate charging.
11D9EF93-13B0-474A-9078-7DA00B78AD16.jpeg

Doesn’t EVgo have a 45 minute charging limit? Is this what your talking about?

It rarely lasts that long - I’ve had it disconnecting everywhere from 5 minutes to 40.

I think their intent with this policy is to prevent people from charging for more than 45 minutes, but they also prevent restarts on their own fault codes.

Not that I understand the 45 minute thing either. Do they take government subsidies with strings attached? If not, why kick off one paying customer in the hopes of maybe allowing in another customer?

I see California has 13 EVgo with Tesla Chademo chargers, and none anywhere else. Are there any other networks with Tesla Chademo chargers?

Searching Chargepoint seems to indicate none. Superchargers are great and never full in New England, but I'll probably be driving to Cali next year and want to explore SC alternatives. Trying to avoid a Chademo purchase for very limited use.

I see California has 13 EVgo with Tesla Chademo chargers, and none anywhere else. Are there any other networks with Tesla Chademo chargers?

Searching Chargepoint seems to indicate none. Superchargers are great and never full in New England, but I'll probably be driving to Cali next year and want to explore SC alternatives. Trying to avoid a Chademo purchase for very limited use.

I don't think there's anything specific for Tesla Chademo. If you have the adapter, it'll work on any Chademo charging station. You can check PlugShare to see available locations. Do note that by default the Chargepoint & Plugshare apps do not show Chademo for Teslas unless you manually add it through the filter.