Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
e have different apps or something?
IMG_3068.jpeg

Preauthorisations or authorisation hold validity can be as short as a day or as long as 30 days depending on the type of "card not present" merchant.

Once the merchant settles a transaction for which there is an authorisation hold, the hold disappears but that assumes the merchant processes the authorisation hold rather than making a new separate transaction. For most people though this is a nothing burger.

Reactions: Zoltrix77 and B3AU
I had an email from Evie a couple of days ago. It nominated a $2.00 pre-auth, but said that that might change. It did say that it would take 1-3 days for the bank to reverse the pre-auth. The slowness of the reversal is the main irritation for me. I haven’t used their service yet. It does put me off.

For most people though this is a nothing burger.

I agree. Pre-auths merely temporarily limit your remaining credit, e.g. a $30 pre-auth on a card with a $10,000 limit will reduce your credit for any subsequent transactions to $9,970 until the pre-auth is removed. It’s pretty unlikely a pre-auth will impact your spending ability on a credit card unless you are sailing super-close to the wind.

Hotels I have stayed at have pre-authed as much as $250 to cover minibar and bathrobe raiders.

A $20 pre-auth could be material if you use a debit card that you keep very little money on, but so what, manage your balance on it.

Presumably fast-charging networks have experienced an increase in malicious card use (people who deliberately keep very low balances on debit cards) and have introduced pre-auths to stop the losses.

Reactions: B3AU
Off topic posts about charging apps, pre authorisation and Opal cards moved to a new thread.