Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paywave/Paypass has been around for a long time, people have been doing that for 5-6 years now. Besides, they DO have contactless readers on the charger anyway. Have a look at similar items, vending machines, parking meters etc. They all allow you to pay with a NFC card (and obviously Apple Pay / Samsung Pay etc).

They do *now* - but perhaps not when fast chargers were being built/designed - which is how we got into the "swipe card" tradition. (Worth noting that some are capable of this - the Electric Highway Tasmania ones for example will take either a Chargefox app/card, an EHT card, or a credit card/paywave. Standard Tritium 50kW chargers.)

My biggest gripe is that you end up with an phone full of apps, no consistent way of paying that is familiar to consumers.

Agreed. Multiple apps (which also means more places with your credit card details on file) isn't great

In Sydney I expect to end up with
Chargefox
Chargepoint (although can possibly go without given most of the network is Type1 and they seem to have stopped investing)
ActewAGL for ACT (although they require you to be sent an RFID card)
NRMA ? (When they start charging, though hoping they use Chargefox, as seen by the East Village units)

My guess is the app/swipe card thing came about from when the first chargers were installed in Europe/USA - I'm not sure when that was but probably before Paywave and other contactless payment methods were really a thing - credit card readers had a slot to read the magnetic strip on the card, and a keypad for your pin. All these parts on a fast charger were relatively bulky and costly, and probably unreliable when out in the elements. NFC readers have changed this.

Transaction fees may have also been a cause. Many credit cards charge a fee per transaction. This can add up with multiple small transactions. An invoice each month which only needs a single payment for the months worth of charging reduces this unnecessary overhead.

The technology has existed for a long time (Octopus card in Hong Kong launched in 1997), sad that it has taken so long in so many markets. At least mobile systems should replace it. I actually hope Elon can use Starlink as a backbone for a second attempt at banking (x.com) and this time he can really achieve his vision (banking is another thing that will be needed on Mars).

Fourth site open - Caltex at Taree - cool pic from their FB page:

102801672_131181895267046_7805229277330685368_o.jpg

Cool. I can feel a new long drive record coming on soon. 295KM from home.
I did that drive back in January :D charged at Heatherbrae on the way up and Nabiac on the way back, each for about 20 mins. 720 km round trip, got back with about 50km in the tank. It’s great this charger has opened in Taree, it is located in the Service Centre just off the highway, the food options are the usual suspects (Maccas, KFC, but there is Coolabah Tree). This will be useful for those stopping on a longer road trip, but probably not if Taree is their destination, kinda weird place to stop if that’s the case. There is one hotel in Taree with a destination charger.

When Chargefox finally opens Karuah I think that will be a great place to stop, better food options if multinational chains aren’t your thing. Nabiac’s not bad either, but not that far from Taree, and only one charger there so a bummer if someone’s already on it or it’s OoO.

The website counter is now saying 11 days to the next opening.
If I look at the list @Chuq posted I reckon it's time to head up to Dandenong and look around.

Interesting that it also shows a map, marking which sites are under construction:
oc6Hllj.png

I can confirm that Campbell Town is another month away at least. My suspicion would be Townsville/Cluden - it started construction in April and according to Plugshare looked like this a week ago:
tNFgzVz.png

Having said that, if you want to check Dandenong, Evie have conveniently added the location to Plugshare!

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Do you feel you could drive 295k cruising at 110kph in an SR+?
Let us know how you go.
I can’t speak for @Anubis, but when I went to Taree from Sydney in January my log says:
  • Start: 494 km ‘range’ (by that, I mean what the battery icon shows)
  • Heatherbrae: 348 km range (travelled 164 km and used 146 km of range)
  • Taree: 262 km range (travelled 169 km and used 203 km of ‘range’. AC was on during this leg)
  • Overall travelled 333 km mostly at freeway/highway speeds, and used 349 km of ‘range’
So, perfectly do-able in an SR+ stopping at Heatherbrae for a short top-up. It would be tight without stopping but not impossible. LR could drive to Taree without stopping, no problems.

Do you feel you could drive 295k cruising at 110kph in an SR+?
Let us know how you go.

It’s absolutely doable. I’ve actually done 315km between chargers and had about 30km up my sleeve on that drive. That drive was coming back from Foster with 2 of us in the car, at least the speed limit and air con on. 295 is well within the SR+’s range.

Now that Taree is open, one day, when I can leave my way wife behind, I’m going to try Sydney to Port Macquarie wthout charging along the way. Less weight, 5 to 10kph below the speed limit and no aircon, 370km should be doable. With Taree open, it’s close enough to Port that I can make the decision as to whether or not I will make Port.

We are off to Port in 2 weeks, but my wife wants to take her new ICE car.

I’m looking forward to Evie at Seven Hills.

It’s the perfect spot to venture off the motorway for a quick boost, given it’s literally at the end of the M2 on Abbott Road. If you’re using both the M2 and the M7, you’re not charged a second toll on rejoining the motorway. You just have to zip up to Norwest to use the first M7 on-ramp.

It’s also the perfect staging point for a run up the Putty Road, or across the Bells Line of Road. You can then use the NRMA chargers at Pokolbin or Lithgow to return.

OK, they’re expensive, but still cheap compared to petrol. Provided they’re covering areas the other companies aren’t (which is precisely what Evie is doing), I don’t mind paying an extra two bucks.

I’m seriously looking forward to their Sutherland Shire charger. It’s a real pity their Heathcote site plans fell over a few months ago.

I’m looking forward to Evie at Seven Hills.

It’s the perfect spot to venture off the motorway for a quick boost, given it’s literally at the end of the M2 on Abbott Road. If you’re using both the M2 and the M7, you’re not charged a second toll on rejoining the motorway. You just have to zip up to Norwest to use the first M7 on-ramp.

Where in seven hills is the EVIE charger going?. I'd like to keep it in mind for future trips.