Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm!!, First time using an Evie Fast charger at Taree service centre.
First off, Thanks to Evie and Caltex for putting the charger in, there was a real dearth of chargers in the mid north coast region. And Also I'm pleased that Evie has provided a grace period of free charging here.

Arrived with 40% battery and after many hassles in getting the charger to connect and start, I got 70kw charge rate. Ho Hum!!
It quickly dropped down to 40-50kw and then tapered down to around 30Kw before I gave up at 89% charge.

If I'd had to pay, it would have been 26Kw @ $0.35 + 34 minutes @$0.25 = $17.60
As a comparison. A Supercharger or Chargefox would have cost about $11.00 and would have been about 30% faster !!!.

If it were me I’d give up on Evie around 70-75% and move on. Certainly not 90%!

Their MO seems to be placing chargers half way between Chargefox/Tesla towns, as well as covering the outer suburban fringe. Once their network is established, there will be so many chargers, of so many different networks, that Evie’s will be merely a quick blow-and-go.

In the long run I imagine there will be disincentives for hogging stalls on every charging network. As EVs really take off, small installations like these just won’t cut it if everyone wants a 90% charge all the time. Evie is just open about that inevitability from day one. The others will probably wait for saturation first.

Reactions: Hairyman
If it were me I’d give up on Evie around 70-75% and move on. Certainly not 90%!

Their MO seems to be placing chargers half way between Chargefox/Tesla towns, as well as covering the outer suburban fringe. Once their network is established, there will be so many chargers, of so many different networks, that Evie’s will be merely a quick blow-and-go.

In the long run I imagine there will be disincentives for hogging stalls on every charging network. As EVs really take off, small installations like these just won’t cut it if everyone wants a 90% charge all the time. Evie is just open about that inevitability from day one. The others will probably wait for saturation first.
Good thought about the solution to the turnover of occupying a charger.

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
I quite dislike Evie’s per-minute charging price component, but would possibly not object to starting the clock ticking once car charge reaches 80% for example, if there was a need to address stall hogging.

It’s way less blatant than one of my local charging stations.

ActewAGL installed three Tritium 50kW units, years and years ago. They recently upgraded one of them (Knowles Place North) to a CCS2 plug. The other two (Canberra Airport Vibe and Tuggeranong near Bunnings) are still CCS1. Try not to laugh!

Anyway, they charge an annual subscription fee plus a flat $2.50 per 15 minutes. I just tell my phone to beep in 29 minutes and then unplug it before it ticks over.

I can confirm that Campbell Town is another month away at least. My suspicion would be Townsville/Cluden - it started construction in April and according to Plugshare looked like this a week ago:

Looks like Townsville did indeed open yesterday according to Plugshare.
Interesting it's at a Puma site, rather than Caltex. Probably why they won't make as much of a fuss about it. Caltex/Ampol wouldn't be thrilled about that.

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
Looks like Townsville did indeed open yesterday according to Plugshare.
Interesting it's at a Puma site, rather than Caltex. Probably why they won't make as much of a fuss about it. Caltex/Ampol wouldn't be thrilled about that.

They've only announced 6 of their ~42 sites as Caltex/Ampol, so I don't think being a different site, even a servo, is necessarily an issue! I'm sure if Caltex wanted exclusivity and offered 42 of their locations Evie would have jumped at it :)

Picture of Campbell Town site shared by Andrew @ Evie on Facebook :)

Google Maps

105551737_10164229660620422_6991968679434257314_o.jpg

Reactions: ittah and baillies
Notice a coming soon on Plugshare for Caltex Seven Hills in Sydney's NW.

On Prospect Hwy just off M7.

Yep, we stumbled across that one in this thread on 20/6

Arena commits $15m to Evie networks

Evie website has a 23 day countdown for their next site, maybe this one

Doubtful. I visited a month ago and I saw no evidence of construction, nor any obvious space for chargers (unless they ditch the container return depot). Campbell Town TAS or Mulgrave VIC is more realistic in the 23 day timeframe.

Reactions: moa999
At long last, Tassie's #1 best location for a fast charger (Campbell Town) is active - and we didn't just get a single 50 kW, but a gold standard 2x stall 350 kW site - the closest thing we will have to a supercharger for a while!

q2hdKrT.jpg

GrAAdPQ.jpg

Some AEVA members gathered the first weekend after opening and gave it quite a workout!

RKadJSB.jpg

vHg9N7i.jpg

c4hFPOG.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Hairyman and Vostok
At long last, Tassie's #1 best location for a fast charger (Campbell Town) is active - and we didn't just get a single 50 kW, but a gold standard 2x stall 350 kW site - the closest thing we will have to a supercharger for a while!
Someone has a drone :) why is the first station installed to the side of the parking spot and not the front like the other one is? That cable looks like it only just reaches with the Model 3 nosed all the way to the front!

Someone has a drone :) why is the first station installed to the side of the parking spot and not the front like the other one is? That cable looks like it only just reaches with the Model 3 nosed all the way to the front!

Yes the drone shots are from Evie's official photographer - I nicked them from their Linkedin page :) The side-on stall is, I think, to allow for a range of vehicles, not all of which will be able to drive in the correct direction for the stall at the end of the space. The site has expansion space for 4 more stalls and they are all like the second one, so this stall will be the exception rather than the rule!

why is the first station installed to the side of the parking spot and not the front like the other one is? That cable looks like it only just reaches with the Model 3 nosed all the way to the front!

Some Tesla Supercharges do this too. Canberra and Euroa are ones I know of.
It's for Teslas that are towing something. They can't reverse in.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Interview with Evie's CEO Chris Mills: Evie Networks connects the dots for EV drivers in Tassie

Includes a few interesting tidbits on their considerations around rolling out the charging network. It won't come as a surprise to those who've watched sites like Chargefox Cooma and NRMA Yass take seemingly forever to switch on that energising the site is usually the biggest pain point.

It does seem odd that they have so much apparent trouble negotiating over tariffs, though - you'd think that as a large consumer they'd be on a wholesale-price-linked tariff of some sort.

• Informative
Reactions: Anubis
It does seem odd that they have so much apparent trouble negotiating over tariffs, though - you'd think that as a large consumer they'd be on a wholesale-price-linked tariff of some sort.

I think the issue is that tariffs are negotiated per site - even if they happened to be per DNSP, I think of their six sites at the moment, they are spread across 5 or maybe 6 providers. But even if they were all through the same company often the demand charges are on a per-connection basis.

The other thing is that commercial connections are often sold based on capacity rather than volume of energy. So that one time a month when two cars are charging at 200 kW at the same time can totally blow out their energy costs for the month. Fast charging sites have an unusual load profile (almost zero most of the time, then occasional spikes) which is challenging for the network provider, especially when they need to build the capacity into their network for a 1 hour a month type scenario.

I just received an SMS from Evie Offer. It says...

"Happy World EV Day! To celebrate we offer you cheaper prices across our whole network. Only 20c per kWh & no costs per minute! Offer ends 16/09/20."

No other details and nothing on their website.
I assume the offer is available now to the 16th.
I'm going to Mudgee this weekend, Evie don't have anything along my route. Pity.

Here is their current network...
Our Network | Evie Networks

Reactions: cafz and Hairyman