Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Caddens Corner’s promo team replied to a Facebook message.

Awesome open 24/7 one fast speed charger two not so fast one

Later clarified as

Right on.
Evie Networks 50kW fast charger can provide up to 50km of range in 10mins of charging, supporting all vehicles with both CHAdeMO and CCS2 plugs.

In addition to our fast charger, we also provide a 22kW AC type 2 charger at Caddens Corner for longer stay or non-fast charging capable vehicles.

I can only assume it’ll be the same charging model as Evie’s 50kW charger at Buderim.

• Funny
Reactions: moa999
To make things more interesting, the 50kW DC charger at Caddens Corner (which is still fenced up and inaccessible) is showing as open and available in the Evie Networks app. Oops!

I checked with Caddens Corner's promo person on Facebook Messenger. Zan hoped to arrange someone with an EV to help out next Wednesday 18/11 with testing their various chargers. Can't be me, as I live 3 hours away. Contact them directly if you'd like to help out.

And if you get in touch & can help out, please remember not to show up with a full charge. Oh, and bring your cables! :)

Caddens Corner opens next Thursday 19/11.

Would have thought YouTuber SydneyEV would be closest, and they have seemingly previously been interacting with the FB page.

50kW seems to be initially opening as free on the app.(like many of the Evie stations previously)
No mention of AC chargers.

Caddens Corner looks on track to open tomorrow.
3 days ago the DC charger and the paint on the ground wasn't there.
(Pic from Plugshare)

Hopefuly the bright paint stops it being iced despite being close to the main entrance.

No pricing up on the Evie site but at a guess it will be the same as Buderim (40c/kWh DC, 35c/kWh AC)

Screenshot_20201118-122526.png

You mean like this:

Tritium Unveils World First Scalable Electric Vehicle Charging Platform

Tritium, a global leader in DC fast charging technology for electric vehicles (EVs), has unveiled the first platform to enable truly scalable electric vehicle charging networks anywhere in the world, with the launch of its MSC hardware platform.

The Modular Scalable Charging (MSC) hardware platform provides customers with the flexibility to increase the power level of their charger as EV charging capabilities advance, and "pay as you grow". Charger power can be increased in 25kW increments, starting at 25kW and increasing to 350kW and beyond.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and Anubis
Of note the new Tritium RTM75 units are also dual use - albeit not as flexible as the Tesla V2 units - it's either 75 or 37.5kW X 2.

I'd hope that these start rolling these out around Australia.
Combined CCS2/Chademo for a single unit, then add Double CCS2 for any additional units.

They can also reportedly be dropped onto an existing 50kW stations footings to instantly allow two cars to charge.

i really just want to vent here. 50kw is so slow, why cant tritium increase the capaciity to i.e. 75-80kw. Same powersupply but significantly more useable for traveling and almost as good as the 350kw chargers....
i dont even know why they picked 50kw.
According to SydEV and DrSallyL, Evie wanted to install 350s - the answer was no - no way to get enough power to the site (*). Then they wanted to install 2 or more 50s. The answer was no - while it was possible to get that kind of power to the site, the centre wasn't keen to pay for upgrades. Not surprising given it's a centre they haven't even opened yet. So we got a 50 and a 22. And for now, I'm OK with that.

(*) There's easily enough power in the area, it's not far from a major interconnect, but the answer when installing 350s is usually no, especially in cities.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and moa999
According to SydEV and DrSallyL, Evie wanted to install 350s - the answer was no - no way to get enough power to the site (*). Then they wanted to install 2 or more 50s. The answer was no - while it was possible to get that kind of power to the site, the centre wasn't keen to pay for upgrades. Not surprising given it's a centre they haven't even opened yet. So we got a 50 and a 22. And for now, I'm OK with that.

(*) There's easily enough power in the area, it's not far from a major interconnect, but the answer when installing 350s is usually no, especially in cities.
Didn’t notice that until you pointed it out. Two chargers and 3 EV car spaces. Definitely some compromise going on there.

When one business wants to buy more of another business's product, and the answer is a flat "no", the initial assumption must be that there is a market failure.
No argument from me. Electricity in Australia has been a market failure for decades. Like a General always planning to fight the battles from the last war, regardless of the new environment he's in. I still have bitter memories of power bill spikes during the gold-plating era.

But it's not specific to Evie, so I'm hesitant to get too in-depth in this thread.

Reactions: moa999
There was a comment a little while back by an EVIE engineer about the power requirements and costs. Basically it's pretty easy to find 50KW capable sites, but 350KW sites are much harder to find and expensive to install $000's vs $000,000.
Also I suspect that 50KW aligns to some standard power distribution capability, whereas 75KW jumps you up to another bracket.

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
Many Evie sites use a 500 kVA transformer (for all intents and purposes close enough to a 500 kW supply) and load balance the two stalls to keep the total under that amount. I doubt there will be any situation in the near future where this would be an issue. Model 3 is the faster so far at about 193 kW. Porsche Taycan or Lucid Air would peak at over 250 kW individually but only for a short period during the charge curve, and we aren't going to see a lot of Taycans, or any Lucid vehicles, in the near future.

Here's a 500 kVA newly installed at a future Evie site in Tassie:

upload_2020-11-20_15-35-2.png