Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVmote App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I registered yesterday.

First THANK YOU for this. The trip part is amazing, looks cool also.

some comments

1- The UI for controlling the car is not very clear, I ended up opening my roof, completely, and it stayed open for 2/3 hours in the rain. Nothing bad happened , but it was lucky.
I pressed the roof button once, and immediately thought it was a bad idea. the Ui was then showing Vent./ I click the button a second time to close it. And though I was closing the roof. Apparently this opens it up completely. I blame myself, but for sure I was not clearly notified of what I was doing.
2- Same UI, what is the lighting bolt ? Flashing the lights ? Also not clear
3- I want the same in a phone app. Android :)
4- (maybe this was answered in this thread before, sorry). How do you get access to my trips ? Is it available from the car ? Are you pinging my car and asking for gps coordinate every xx seconds ? If so, what is the impact on my battery ?

- - - Updated - - -

forgot.
5- Can I extract the data ? It is my data at the origin, I am happy ot share it with you, but I'd love to keep it saved somewhere.
6- Integration with IFFT ? that would be awesome. Not sure to do what, but if it is a possibility, I'll find something

I'd love to see an app with a webUI that runs via standard web servers.

Can you say more? evMote should run just fine on mobile web browsers, and in the Tesla browser...

- - - Updated - - -

I registered yesterday.

First THANK YOU for this. The trip part is amazing, looks cool also.

some comments

1- The UI for controlling the car is not very clear, I ended up opening my roof, completely, and it stayed open for 2/3 hours in the rain. Nothing bad happened , but it was lucky.
I pressed the roof button once, and immediately thought it was a bad idea. the Ui was then showing Vent./ I click the button a second time to close it. And though I was closing the roof. Apparently this opens it up completely. I blame myself, but for sure I was not clearly notified of what I was doing.
2- Same UI, what is the lighting bolt ? Flashing the lights ? Also not clear

Totally fair. I need to find a better way to show this.

3- I want the same in a phone app. Android :)

It should work perfectly in your mobile web browser :)

4- (maybe this was answered in this thread before, sorry). How do you get access to my trips ? Is it available from the car ? Are you pinging my car and asking for gps coordinate every xx seconds ? If so, what is the impact on my battery ?

I "subscribe" to the stream of GPS data that your car sends to Tesla. It shouldn't impact your battery because your car is already sending it to Tesla. I ask the Tesla servers to send it to me after the car sends it to them.

5- Can I extract the data ? It is my data at the origin, I am happy ot share it with you, but I'd love to keep it saved somewhere.

For sure. I plan on allowing you to export the data to LogMySC, and to an Excel CSV. I agree that it's your data. I don't have a privacy policy in place yet, but for now, I promise not to do anything "bad" with your data. I won't sell it to anyone, or spam you, or stalk you, etc. I also promise to delete it if you'd like, and I'll work on getting you access to it in different ways, as I'm able.

6- Integration with IFFT ? that would be awesome. Not sure to do what, but if it is a possibility, I'll find something

Probably pretty easy to do. I'll add it to the list!

Thanks,
Ryan

Another thing.

I feel that the power usage on the trip view is not very useful right now.

It says 5%. 5% of what ? of my total current battery pack power ? Of what I had at the beginning of the trip ? Also, I can't compare with others with different battery capacitym as it is now.

Can we have a kw/hr power usage metric ? The % is fun, to see, but really the kw/hr is what is useful.

Thanks again for the hard work, I love the app.

ps: I didn't try much, but I was not able to log in from the car browser this morning, it kept showing me a page not available. But I didn't try to investigate.

Another thing.

I feel that the power usage on the trip view is not very useful right now.

It says 5%. 5% of what ? of my total current battery pack power ? Of what I had at the beginning of the trip ? Also, I can't compare with others with different battery capacitym as it is now.

Can we have a kw/hr power usage metric ? The % is fun, to see, but really the kw/hr is what is useful.

Thanks again for the hard work, I love the app.

ps: I didn't try much, but I was not able to log in from the car browser this morning, it kept showing me a page not available. But I didn't try to investigate.

This is on the issue list already: Gather statistics for each trip · Issue #25 · rsteckler/evmote · GitHub

The problem is that Tesla only provides the battery state as a % in the stream API I use for trips. I need to go get the Kw/H from a different API when a trip starts and stops. Just some extra work, but wanted to at least get the % in there for now :)

Thanks,
Ryan

- - - Updated - - -

For me, the numbers are in miles, but so far I've only checked it when my car is parked in an underground car park without 3G connection. Maybe you don't cache the car's settings, and when you can't connect to the car you're defaulting to miles/Fahrenheit?

That's exactly correct. If I can't get the data from the car, it shows miles. I like your idea of caching it. I'll do that.

Just noticed something that I don't believe has been reported yet.

When looking at trips page when the car is static, everything looks correct, however when the car is in motion and I click on a trip that is not the most recent, the right map pane updates to the past trip correctly, but then a second or two later the endpoint or the start point gets updated and gets a new line drawn to the cars current location. Basically it thinks the current location of the car is somehow connected to the past trip I am looking at.

It's not a blocker for me, but wanted to report the issue.

Just noticed something that I don't believe has been reported yet.

When looking at trips page when the car is static, everything looks correct, however when the car is in motion and I click on a trip that is not the most recent, the right map pane updates to the past trip correctly, but then a second or two later the endpoint or the start point gets updated and gets a new line drawn to the cars current location. Basically it thinks the current location of the car is somehow connected to the past trip I am looking at.

It's not a blocker for me, but wanted to report the issue.

Aha! That's a new bug for sure. I'll add it to the list.
Thanks!

Can you say more? evMote should run just fine on mobile web browsers, and in the Tesla browser...

Id like to host this myself.. I have many TB of space we could use for this, and a fair amount of bandwidth.. A small VMware host and affair amount of ram.. I could whip up a few servers if you wanted to separate out the functions of db, web, etc.

But originally I was speaking of just making this a package I could install in my web server to host just for me.

also, I'd like to participate in your beta if you're taking users still.

also, a while ago I wrote a departure time based charge scheduling script.. Think you could put that in this? It's something people have mentioned time and time again they'd like to see for model s.

If if you want to see how I got it working we could do a google hangout and I can go over my horrible code with you. I'd be happy to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see anything saying this was an open beta yet or not but I do see a signup page now so I've tried creating an account but it keeps saying my tesla credentials are invalid (they are not). Is this just not open yet and its giving a bad error or is this a bug?

I didn't see anything saying this was an open beta yet or not but I do see a signup page now so I've tried creating an account but it keeps saying my tesla credentials are invalid (they are not). Is this just not open yet and its giving a bad error or is this a bug?

This is the same bug as above. I think I'm close to fixing it. I'll update the thread as soon as I do. Sorry for the downtime. This is why beta is so important, so thanks to ya'll who are going through this with me :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to self-host this as well. However I think Ryan plans to turn this into a freemium service some time down the track, so probably won't be willing to open source it.

I'm open to it. Not everyone is going to want to clone the source and setup all of the environments needed to host this themselves. In any case, the monthly hosting cost will be more than the price of the "Pro Features" :)

For the tech geeks, here's the stack:
One Node.js process using express/jade for all web content, including making backend calls to the tesla api
Another Node.js process as a worker that opens up a stream to the GPS for each car and records those positions in the database
A 3 server MongoDB replica set (Primary, Secondary, and arbiter)
New Relic for monitoring, and loggly for log management/debugging
No CI/CD yet, because I'm a busy guy :)

The node servers currently run on heroku, but I'm currently moving them to docker/google cloud platform.
The mongodb replica set is already running on GCP because all of the hosted mongo environments charge per gig.

I have an unlimited 1000/1000 mbps connection, static IP, 25 TB Synology NAS, etc. If it would help get this off the ground, you can use it for free for hosting.

WOW!!
Put's my ESX environment on RaidZ6 11TB usable and 75mbit/8mbit and static IPs kinda sad sounding. :(

- - - Updated - - -

This is the same bug as above. I think I'm close to fixing it. I'll update the thread as soon as I do. Sorry for the downtime. This is why beta is so important, so thanks to ya'll who are going through this with me :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm open to it. Not everyone is going to want to clone the source and setup all of the environments needed to host this themselves. In any case, the monthly hosting cost will be more than the price of the "Pro Features" :)

For the tech geeks, here's the stack:
One Node.js process using express/jade for all web content, including making backend calls to the tesla api
Another Node.js process as a worker that opens up a stream to the GPS for each car and records those positions in the database
A 3 server MongoDB replica set (Primary, Secondary, and arbiter)
New Relic for monitoring, and loggly for log management/debugging
No CI/CD yet, because I'm a busy guy :)

The node servers currently run on heroku, but I'm currently moving them to docker/google cloud platform.
The mongodb replica set is already running on GCP because all of the hosted mongo environments charge per gig.

Sounds like you have this well sorted. I'd be happy to donate when you're to that point. Any interest in trying out the departure time based charge scheduling?