TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EVnomics - Australian stocked accessories

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by timpoo, Jul 28, 2014.

1. MangroveMike

MangroveMike Member

Dborn, I know you love the Tesla, but really, showering with the keys :). You could just use the app and put the phone in a waterproof case. That way you'll also have a picture of the car to look at!

2. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Well, they do a bit :) By design, the battery compartment is enclosed by the silicone FobPocket, and since it's skin-tight, it provides a degree of protection. Obviously it's not recommending to put it through a washing machine, but if your shower is as crappy as the one in my hotel tonight, then I think it'll be safe enough :)

3. timpoo

timpoo Member

Hi Pete - I think David meant the actual Tesla key fob - which is why I said nope :D

But yes - put it in our Fob Pockets and they're much better!

4. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I did mean Inside the silicone. By shower, I was referring to rain showers.

5. timpoo

timpoo Member

Sorry to dig this old thread out - but just thought I'd let you guys know that heatshields are back in stock, including some (very) limited Gold ones. Yay!

6. Adapptor

Adapptor Member

How you going with the 'Freskie' Tim?

7. timpoo

timpoo Member

Coming along but slowly, suppliers are on Chinese New Year holidays :(

8. wpapua

wpapua Member

Righto you blokes ! What's a Freskie ? Let me guess - a plug in fridge that lives in the 'Frunk/Froot' ? Is there a 12V outlet in there to plug into ?

9. timpoo

timpoo Member

Haha nah I'm just trying to get an eskie made for the cubby section of the frunk. No power needed though - don't want a fridge in there :D

10. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

#50 Dborn, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    But a plug in one actually is a really good idea. I suggested at one stage that the air con should be extended into the froot. Useful for perishable groceries for instance. I think Jaguar used to do it and may still be doing it, for all I know.
    To get power down there would not be hard, actually. The fuse boxes are directly above the microwave. Lots of appropriate connectors available at boating electrical suppliers. One excellent brand is Bulgan. Installed correctly, they are correctly polarised every time. I have installed them on my boat in the past. The plug screws onto the socket so it cannot jar loose. This is, I think a DIY install.
    Regarding the fridge, Waeco make them, but I wouldn't know if they would make one small enough!
    Waeco 31L Compressor Fridge Freezer - Coolers | Harvey Norman Australia
    I suppose I need to go get the tape measure out!

11. timpoo

timpoo Member

That one doesn't fit unfortunately...too tall...

12. TesAus

TesAus Member

How much heat do they kick out and would it work in a confined space like that. I generally have only seen them
    used strapped on the back seat or boot with plenty of air circulation?

13. doctorwho

doctorwho Active Member

We regularly transport food on 3 hour trips in an unpowered esky that lives on the back seat and is subject to in car cabin temperatures. 2 ice containers in the esky are more than adequate and we've never had food spoil including things like milk. I don't think that it needs to be powered as its away from direct sunlight and only one surface is exposed to the ambient front boot temperature.

The biggest problem would be having to empty the front boot to remove the esky to access the contents.

14. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Checked the Waeco website, and regrettably none of them, including the smallest, will fit, so scrap that idea. The space is otherwise unusable, which is probably why they make a custom bag for it in the States. Not sure if it is available in this market. Will ask.

15. doctorwho

doctorwho Active Member

Tim, here's an interesting thread about a home made useful add-on that would be a good commercial product. 6% range improvement someone says.

16. gizmonty

gizmonty Member

I've got an idea! What about a second motor for the front wheels?

17. Adapptor

Adapptor Member

I was thinking one large, or two smaller (soft sided, but good quality) eskie bag(s) custom made to fit the entire froot (minus the cubbie). It could double as a branded beach/picnic/shopping bag that we carry around, thus advertising the brand.

18. TesAus

TesAus Member

Isn't much of the appeal of the model S that it doesn't look like some weird hippie bug eyed test bed. The car looks damn nice (except when fitted with pizza dishes) and has a battery plenty large enough for your average driving. If you want 6% efficiency gain (and more) engage range mode and go softly softly on the accelerator pedal?

19. doctorwho

doctorwho Active Member

I think pizza pans are 'proof of concept' surely someone can come up with something more tasteful (as opposed to tasty)

20. TesAus

TesAus Member

Even so I think it would only appeal to a small slice of the market...