Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evolution of Model S battery Packs. Info wanted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I hope to pick the brains of some of the more knowledgable members here to get a better understanding of how the MS battery pack has evolved from 2012 to now

My understanding is as follows
tesla has always offered 2 packs. A small 350v pack and a larger 400 volt pack
the small pack started out at 40/60kwh then grew to 75 kWh pack (software limited at times to 60 or 70kwh). There are rumors that the current small pack is actually a software limited 85kw pack, still 350v I assume

The large pack started out as 85kwh, grew to 90 and finally the current 100kwh pack, all putting out 400v, which explains the higher performance of larger pack cars, even though they are heavier. (I know that uncorked 75d's have similar 0-60 times, however, my understanding is that the acceleration drops off a lot faster at highway speeds compared to non P 90's and 100's, please correct me if I'm mistaken)

What I want to understand better is what has changed in the packs themselves...
Questions that I have:
Initial cars were sold with "A" packs, eventually I assume they were replaced with "B" packs. I have no idea what the difference is. For example... What is the actual difference in the 85kwh pack in a 2012 85 and a 2015 85? Furthermore, aside from number of cells, what is the difference between the a 2012 85 pack and a 2018 100kwh pack?

Why are people down on the 90kwh packs? Is there a problem with these batteries that was rectified with the 100kwh pack?

is there any difference between the packs in P and non P cars?

Is the max power available from an 85kwh pack at 100% SOC the same as a 100kwh pack at 85%SOC? Inversely, would a P85DL at 100%SOC perform the same as a P100D at 85% SOC?

Thanks

"A" battery packs were only on the first 2500-3000 model Ss. Tesla limited the charging rate on A battery packs so they supercharge a little slower. A packs have only been replaced when there is a significant failure to the pack. When I sold my A battery pack model S last year, my original battery pack was just fine. I think they may show a little more degradation than newer packs. Originally the P models had the same battery packs. The Ludicrous models have different contactors that allow additional amperage to be drawn from the pack.

I am sure others can provide more details.