TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle thread EELV (DoD) - SpaceX vs. ULA

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by claytorj, Feb 18, 2014.

1. claytorj

claytorj Member

As SpaceX has now successfully launched 3 Falcon 9 v1.1, and has potentially qualified itself to bid on future EELV contracts with the Department of Defense (pending review), perhaps we can use this thread to keep together all relevant information. Here is a great article to use as a starting point:

The Space Review: EELVs era of transition

2. claytorj

claytorj Member

3. HVM

HVM Savolainen

#3 HVM, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    Here is stream to it.

Committee on Appropriations:

National Security Space Launch Programs

Somebody wanted Ironman type big screen hack at senate, and there was one: Senator Feinstein with the billboard of ULA costs. ;)

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Thanks for the link to the live blog!

5. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Anyone got a transcript or recording as the damn thing required flash so iPhone / iPad were out of order.

6. claytorj

claytorj Member

HVM's link isn't a live link, so it should still be good whenever you find yourself in front of a flash-capable device.

Boy, they should call her "Feisty" Feinstein! I found her direct questions at the end of the hearing very enlightening, particularly when ULA's Gass more or less said 'no' to fixed cost contracts. Senator Shelby certainly seemed to be doing all he could to protect ULA Alabama jobs.

7. GenericSpoon

GenericSpoon Member

<<By ULA's definition of success, that mission was perfect.>> :biggrin: Amazing!

8. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

9. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

#9 Curt Renz, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
    SpaceX vs. United Launch Alliance in Congress

(mod note: threads merged, edited topic to combine keywords)

This morning SpaceX (also Tesla Motors) CEO Elon Musk testified before the US Senate Appropriation Committee’s Subcommittee on Defense. He is seeking to end the monopoly on the launches of US military satellites by the United Launch Alliance (a joint venture of Boeing and Lockheed Martin). SpaceX asks a far lower price for the launches. The committee chairman is my Senator Dick Durbin. Today I emailed him, my other senator and my house representative, asking them to grant SpaceX the right to bid for military launches. You may want to write those who represent you in Congress.

10. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

11. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

Thanks for joining the chorus, Discoducky. Unfortunately Boeing is headquartered in my state of Illinois and builds planes in your state of Washington. Let's hope our senators see beyond the pork and do what is right for the entire nation. Californians in particular may want to write those who represent them in Congress. They carry a lot of weight in the House of Representatives.

12. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Interesting discussion. Looks good for the pro-competition point of view, and for SpaceX. If so, I'd expect some contracts will go to ULA, and some to SpaceX, with a varying proportion depending on performance/cost.

13. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Done and I strongly suggest others do the same, especially those from states whose Senators are representing on the board.

http://www.appropriations.senate.gov/about-members.cfm

14. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Interesting and I agree Senator Weinstein came prepared. I liked Elon's response to the question of fixed fee DOD contracts.
    Keep the based fixed fee and allow for cost plus to accommodate DOD's unique launch changes.

15. rabar10

#15 rabar10, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    Great summary of the hearing in this article:

SpaceX and ULA go toe-to-toe over EELV contracts | NASASpaceFlight.com

It also gives some context to the above Elon quote: “By ULA’s definition of success, that mission was perfect" -- ULA was bragging about a 'perfect' launch record, and Elon noted that there had been some issues during a couple of launches that affected satellite orbits and therefore lifetimes. ULA countered that their customer's definition of success was used to define overall mission success. So then later when ULA brought up the Falcon 9 engine-out on the CRS-1 mission, Elon countered with the above line. Cheeky, that one.

16. rabar10

17. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

So there was mention of 10 questions submitted by both SpaceX and ULA to each other. Anyone know where these 10 questions from each might be found? The chairman said they would be available at some point.

18. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Not exactly sure but I've bookmarked this page and will be checking back to see what is available. Perhaps Elon will tweet when SpaceX's questions are posted.
    http://www.appropriations.senate.gov/ht-defense.cfm?method=hearings.view&id=c79ea7af-1e67-4de7-967b-95b4a78e3e35

19. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

Yeah, that was great and said it multiple times. loved it.

20. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Yes, but from what I could tell that didn't go over well as the senator or whoever asked the question is obviously ULA biased and took out of it that SpaceX would have considered it a success while ULA wouldn't have. And didn't Elon mix up, this was a CRS mission not Cassiope as the primary payload and the secondary failed to deliver due to NASA constraints, not due to vehicle incapability. Had he said that instead of being cheeky he might have won the exchange, but he's too much Elon and had to stick it in one more time to ULA ;)