Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVs banned from Texas Motor Speedway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quote from the article: “
In a statement issued to the site, Texas Motor Speedway VP of Public Relations David Hart said the reason for the exclusion is that, in the event of a crash and possible resulting fire, their emergency vehicles do not carry the specific equipment required to suppress EV fires.

“As I’m sure you’re aware, conventional extinguishers are of no use in fighting lithium-ion battery fires,” Hart said.”

The Texas Motor Speedway stated reason is disingenuous. Apparently their emergency vehicles do not have access to water. Here is what Tesla says, quote: “If the high voltage battery catches fire, is exposed to high heat, or is bent, twisted, cracked, or breached in any way, use large amounts of water to cool the battery. DO NOT extinguish with a small amount of water. Always establish or request an additional water supply.” Source First Responders | Tesla

That information is readily available to anyone who knows how to search the web. Or they could just call Tesla and ask.

The Texas Motor Speedway apparently does not like the way EVs consistently win drag races against vehicles in their class.

This is really sad. I live about 15 miles from TMS and more than once have had my Model S on this very track. Over the last few years our family has enjoyed numrous events at TMS and were even members at the Speedway club. The Friday night drags were always a good time. I was always looking forward to some electric action out there in some form. This stunt makes me feel like they, including TMS management have made a decision to be divorced from the future. To those folks I say goodbye.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
FWIW I got a LOT of sideways looks and wasn't warmly received at my local test and tune night at the drag strip. I had 2 guys go out of their way to give hi fives, but the vast majority of both workers and racers did not seem to appreciate having Teslas smoke Hellcats all night :D

Quote from the article: “
In a statement issued to the site, Texas Motor Speedway VP of Public Relations David Hart said the reason for the exclusion is that, in the event of a crash and possible resulting fire, their emergency vehicles do not carry the specific equipment required to suppress EV fires.

“As I’m sure you’re aware, conventional extinguishers are of no use in fighting lithium-ion battery fires,” Hart said.”

The Texas Motor Speedway stated reason is disingenuous. Apparently their emergency vehicles do not have access to water. Here is what Tesla says, quote: “If the high voltage battery catches fire, is exposed to high heat, or is bent, twisted, cracked, or breached in any way, use large amounts of water to cool the battery. DO NOT extinguish with a small amount of water. Always establish or request an additional water supply.” Source First Responders | Tesla

That information is readily available to anyone who knows how to search the web. Or they could just call Tesla and ask.

The Texas Motor Speedway apparently does not like the way EVs consistently win drag races against vehicles in their class.
yes, that sounds like good enough excuse, yet I wonder if there isn't just a tiny bit of jealously in that decision that the V8ers might get their butt kicked by an electric car. :D Their ego gets hurt :rolleyes: