Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVs in a charging desert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I have been car free for years but are moving to a more remote location and are looking at cars.

At this point we're heavily considering EVs, despite planning on living in a charging desert. We did an extended test drive in a model Y a month ago.

The trickiest leg we'll probably travel will be from Farmington, NM to Page, AZ - 230 miles without any L3 chargers, with the nearest L2 charger adding a 50 mile detour. If only there were a SC in Kayenta. Doing that in winter is likely to be rough.

Anyway, this is just a bit of a ramble/intro.

My wife and I have been car free for years but are moving to a more remote location and are looking at cars.

At this point we're heavily considering EVs, despite planning on living in a charging desert. We did an extended test drive in a model Y a month ago.

The trickiest leg we'll probably travel will be from Farmington, NM to Page, AZ - 230 miles without any L3 chargers, with the nearest L2 charger adding a 50 mile detour. If only there were a SC in Kayenta. Doing that in winter is likely to be rough.

Anyway, this is just a bit of a ramble/intro.
I feel your pain. I bought a used M3 and I didn't have supercharging set up, so I had to get from Chicago to middle Missouri on Level 2. It was awful. lol, but worth it!

The trickiest leg we'll probably travel will be from Farmington, NM to Page, AZ - 230 miles without any L3 chargers....
Tesla gives accurate information as to how far to the next chargers and how much charge you have left. 230 miles should not be a problem, since the 3 gets over 300 miles on a charge. If you're worried, slow down a bit until you see how your range works, and I'd bet that your second run will be worry free and you'll arrive with plenty of charge left. Charge gets eaten up by driving at high speeds, but you might find you have enough charge to keep up with traffic.

In a pinch, follow a semi. Not only do they go slower, but they offer wind resistance. But I doubt you'll do that more than once.