Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVs in Australia (non Tesla)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Making this thread as not to clutter up the Tesla in Australia thread. Also somewhere to discuss things like the Leaf or Volt etc. Or even other types of electric vehicles, like golf carts :p

Well, one of my hopes came true, not how I imagined anyway. We now have and Australian designed and built EV for a major auto maker... The Chevy Bolt was designed and made in Port Melbourne by Holden. Of course it won't be manufactured here because that side of the company is closing down in two years. This is supposed to be their Tesla Model III competition, more 'high tech' touch screen instead of buttons etc, but who knows, it is only a concept and not the main focus for GM.

All the promo images were taken from a rooftop carpark next to the Holden plant with Melbourne's skyline in the background.
cERrRCC.jpg

v8Hgixt.jpg

Of course I'd hoped for Tesla or some other company to come and build (or assemble) EVs in some of those Auto factories in Victoria which will be vacant in three years. At least this is a step I suppose.

They seem to be using retractible door handles too. I actually don't mind this design! Supposed to have a 300Km range (200 mile), and cost $30000.00. USD of course. Probably double that here. Was not aware it was a Holden design. Good on 'em!! Probably won't see the light of day though. Even though it is being shown NAIAS. Starting next week.

Telsa were probably just recruiting them because they knew they would be looking for work in a couple of years anyway when three companies close their doors.

This is a concept car, so it is probably just new body ontop of a chevy volt chassis and not what it'd be if it ever reaches production in china or whatever it is built. But what is there was designed and built in Port Melbourne.

They seem to be using retractible door handles too. I actually don't mind this design! Supposed to have a 300Km range (200 mile), and cost $30000.00. USD of course. Probably double that here. Was not aware it was a Holden design. Good on 'em!! Probably won't see the light of day though. Even though it is being shown NAIAS. Starting next week.

The other thing I've picked up from reading about it is that the US$30k price is after their $7.5k federal incentive. So, US$2.5k more expensive (US$37.5k) than the projected base price of the Model 3 (US$35k) before incentives (which obviously aren't available to us Aussies). Looking at how they have priced the Holden Volt here compared to the US price, I think I'll take the Model 3.

The non- success of those cars is directly proportional to the price. Far too expensive for what they are.

Agreed. Looked at the Holden Volt last night. Thought it was the closest vehicle to existing range but running as a pure electric most of the time. Went to check the price - $65k. :-(

This is the problem with hybrids. You're paying for two engines.

The non- success of those cars is directly proportional to the price. Far too expensive for what they are.

Expensive low performance front wheel drive uninspiring machines. When I saw the prototype of the volt I was interested, but the production model was disappointing in looks and performance. I also really don't like FWD. AWD yes, but not tail draggers.

Totally agree.

I think the best option in Australia for the price is the Outlander PHEV. It's only marginally more expensive than the top diesel Outlander, can tow, has 5 seats, has SUV space in the boot and is still $10k(!) less than the Volt.

Of course, the best EV in Australia is the Model S. :wink:

Totally agree.

I think the best option in Australia for the price is the Outlander PHEV. It's only marginally more expensive than the top diesel Outlander, can tow, has 5 seats, has SUV space in the boot and is still $10k(!) less than the Volt.

Of course, the best EV in Australia is the Model S. :wink:

The thing is that those prices are not the real prices. Yes the rrp was high when these cars were released but if you want to buy a Volt or a Leaf they are actually $40K. The Volts sit on the lots for ages and then they reduce them to $39,990 and they sell. The Leafs are $39990 drive away and 0% finance but if you really want one they'll cut a deal (I paid way less for mine). When I was looking I seriously considered a Volt but didn't want to haul around a petrol generator but the dealer would have sold me the Volt for $36-37 right there if I wanted it. Sure at $60K why would you buy one but that's not a real scenario. The i3 on the other hadn is an $80K car over here in over priced Australia. Much more compelling at $45-50K but at $80K I'm thinking you'd buy a Tesla every time. They'll sell 10 of them in Australia IMHO.

So they're all the same really:

Outlander $40K - PHEV: 50 km electric but also petrol range but added servicing costs for the petrol generator.
Leaf $38-40K - 120-130 km range electric
Volt $40K - 50km electric and some added range for petrol but not as much as the PHEV, also add in extra servicing costs.

The disruptors will be the $40K, 300km range electrics whoever brings one to market first. There's the Bolt (doubtful it'll come to Oz), the next Leaf (expect 2017 at the earliest for Oz and may launch at $55K like the first ones = sell 5 of them), the Hyundai EV (might indeed come in at $40K) and the Tesla III (2018 possible and hopefully $40K).

Does anyone find it ironic that an article written by a professor based in California doesn't mention Tesla at all and suggests that battery electric vehicles are all small and have a range of less than 100kms? Maybe he needs to get out more?

Update - the author is paid to avoid the elephant in the room - he is funded by GM, Toyota and Honda amongst others.....!

What's with all the doubting Thomas'? Why would GM not release the Bolt? Did nobody read the memo?

http://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/vehicles/cars/index_en.htm

"European regulations call for fleet average CO2 emissions of 95g/km by 2020. In comparison, the target in China is 119g/km and Japan’s is 117g/km by the same date, while the target in the US has been set at 102g/km by 2025."

How else are car makers going to meet the legislation without making BEVs and PHEVs?

co2.jpg