Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVs in Australia (non Tesla)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NSW give reduced rego for "petrol hybrid engines" but they don't mention anything about all electric vehicles on their website...

Anyone with a registered tesla get a reduced rate?

The reduced rego is for any car that achieves a certain number of stars on the green vehicle guide website. The Model S achieved 5 stars and hence qualified for the reduced rego charge. I think it only saves about $20, but is better than nothing!

Interesting discussions here- given my mega prejudice for Tesla and what that promised and delivered... I find myself evaluating the BMW , Zoe( when available), MiEV, and Leaf for my wife as a run around vehicle until the Model 3 is delivered. The Bolt isn't likely in RHD in Oz until 2016-17 - about when Model III should be here - No contest.

My research so far suggests the Nissan Leaf is the winner on whole of life costs for a commuter type car. Its a great pity that Toyota have never introduced the fully electric Prius in OZ. I am told that they have had a full electric 160Km range vehicle in California for more than 8 years- not sure of pricing.

Is there anyone who currently owns a Leaf- I would very much like to talk directly to an experienced owner.?

Would love to see an electric Commodore, all the engineering and testing had been done.

Would be great when they shut down that they get bought out by a consortium that keeps the car and factory but makes it EV only, also be handy that it comes in wagon too.

spent the last 5 weeks in a new VF Commodore Calais, would be great as an EV.

Would love to see an electric Commodore, all the engineering and testing had been done.

Would be great when they shut down that they get bought out by a consortium that keeps the car and factory but makes it EV only, also be handy that it comes in wagon too.

spent the last 5 weeks in a new VF Commodore Calais, would be great as an EV.

Except that the commodore platform was never conceived as an EV and hence any implementation would be as compromised as most historical EV or hybrids based upon an ICE platform (e.g reduced boot space, high centre of gravity because batteries aren't across floor of car etc.)

Except that the commodore platform was never conceived as an EV and hence any implementation would be as compromised as most historical EV or hybrids based upon an ICE platform (e.g reduced boot space, high centre of gravity because batteries aren't across floor of car etc.)

The test cars had the batteries where the engine and centre driveshaft used to be, the electric motor is where the rear fuel tank and diff. Supposed to drive really well and pretty seamless being a rear wheel drive platform, I think they made about 8 test EV Commodores.

The test cars had the batteries where the engine and centre driveshaft used to be, the electric motor is where the rear fuel tank and diff. Supposed to drive really well and pretty seamless being a rear wheel drive platform, I think they made about 8 test EV Commodores.

From the articles I read they only managed to get about 130-160km range which means that they had created an oversized Nissan Leaf. With that sort of range and no supercharger network I doubt it would attract many buyers given the commodore and falcon were traditionally used by people needing to do longer trips not just do short commutes each day. I suspect that if they tripled the quantity of batteries to give it Tesla like range that the price and functionality (they would have to eat in to storage space) would then fail to create any interest in the market.

Don't get me wrong, I support the principle of local manufacturing, but only if it is a viable product that people would actually buy in sufficient numbers.

So not sure if you guys have seen this: Car makers slam 'appalling' parallel imports proposal

Basically the federal government are considering relaxing the import of new cars.

While I think the policy is kind of weird and really only makes sense if you're buying a really expensive car, it could prove to be a massive boon for EVs available overseas but not sold here by manufacturers.

You could get an eGolf, or eventually a Bolt or the like.

Given that they rarely need servicing, it's perfect!

The way the proposal is described in the article does not seem like it's well thought through. The thing that would bring more model diversity to Australia is streamlining the certification process by aligning the regulations to some other major market. If the barriers to certification and costs of certification are lower, then it's easier to justify bringing a model into the local market. It should also reduce the price differential before local taxes are applied. Of course, this does nothing to reduce the distributor and dealer in-country markup.