Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVs in the 2012 Presidential Debates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anything, the Obama administration should be given credit for only giving out $8 billion out of $25 billion allocated. Obama actually saved the taxpayer $13 billion.
Some would call this a generously broad use of the word "saved".
I would call it an inappropriate use of the word "saved".

An example:
Dad gave me $25 to grab dinner for everybody. I spent $8 of it on pizza. Did I save him $17? No.

Unspent != Saved. Especially if I go spend it on some other random thing, treating the money as fungible.

Sidenote: I'm a little confused how 25 - 8 became 13 in your example.

$4 bn of program administration costs. ;-)

Or just bad math. :)

And Brianman - as far as I'm concerned, any time the government doesn't spend money that it could have, I call that saved. Though technically you are correct that it was unspent funds.

It doesn't really change my point that the money could have been spent and wasn't by the "eager to spend every taxpayer dollar they can" Obama Administration.

1352263029247.jpg

Thank you America, I really didn't think this would happen. Continued support for EV's and alternative energy will keep us moving in the proper direction. I see this as a rejection of the old guard looking only at the past for direction. Maybe the GOP will now realize that their anti science anti intellectual agenda does not work with the majority of the populace.

Last edited:
Some humility is probably in order, friends. It's not "us" against "them". We just need to talk about energy independence - EVs, solar, clean coal, responsible domestic oil and natural gas production - in a holistic way and not take sides for the sake of it.

-GG singing kumbaya (in a well-meaning way)...

Some humility is probably in order, friends. It's not "us" against "them". We just need to talk about energy independence - EVs, solar, clean coal, responsible domestic oil and natural gas production - in a holistic way and not take sides for the sake of it.

-GG singing kumbaya (in a well-meaning way)...

GG is right, bashing one side or the other is only self-serving. You won't see Elon bashing Romney - in public. We need everyone on board with Tesla.

I am just waiting for Elon Musk's twitter feed to say "Who's a loser now, Mitt?" as the final icing on the cake.

Or "Automobile of the Year! Beeatch! And by the way, we just paid back the first part of our loan! So eat that!"

Comedy aside. I'm glad that Tesla has another four years to expand and solidify their business under an EV friendly administration.

And here's hoping that the returning administration cuts spending, which was the obvious reason that the right and Romney did as well as he did.

One side is clearly aligned with Oil & Gas interests, while the other is clearly supporting new technology, and advanced vehicles.

The future looks bright for EVs and especially for Tesla to be established now as the clear leader, without interference. Sometimes things just go the right way, and as the saying goes, don't look a gift horse in the mouth :)

BTW, that was an impressive victory speech Barry gave :)

Last edited:
In all seriousness, I hope Romney's Tesla bashing somehow helps the administration give more consideration to EVs and EV infrastructure (powered by pure sunlight and other renewable sources), instead of the disturbing pro-fracking, pro-T.Boone Pickens/Aubrey McClendon plan for transportation, which is simply going "all in" on yet another fossil fuel until it runs out in a few decades.

It takes two to tango as they say so they'll all have to work together at some point. It's nice to know someone who supports EVs is still in power though.

There is only one president; and the burden rests on him to lead. A president that tried to get people to work together for a month or two then decided it was too hard for him is not a leader, he's a quitter. I say that objectively. I read recently that 104 games of golf played by the White House during Obama's administration, only one was with a Republican. He gave up, he gave up too soon.

When Americas elect you president they are hiring you to do a really really tough job. I hope that he is coming back to the White House with new resolve to get back to that whole "change" thing he promised us. That's certainly the rhetoric I'm hearing from his supporters, but actions speak louder than words. I want action this time around.

To be sure, I'd be happy if the Republican's made it a little easier on him. They've been over-the-top in some of the stances they've taken these past four years; but, I maintain that the burden is on the president. It's the job that he was elected to do 4 years ago, and it's the job that he has been re-elected to do now. If it is too hard for him, then he should be fired and we should give someone else a shot at it.

In all seriousness, I hope Romney's Tesla bashing somehow helps the administration give more consideration to EVs and EV infrastructure (powered by pure sunlight and other renewable sources), instead of the disturbing pro-fracking, pro-T.Boone Pickens/Aubrey McClendon plan for transportation, which is simply going "all in" on yet another fossil fuel until it runs out in a few decades.

You've obviously never listened to Pickens speak about his plan if that is what you believe. He is for "anything American" and is perfectly supportive of EV efforts (remember he was a serious investor in wind for a while there). He is behind Nat Gas because he doesn't believe that EVs are capable of fulfilling our needs in an economically viable way for some time and views Nat Gas as a bridge fuel that can fill the gap between now and when the 'real solution' is ready for prime time. You and I may disagree with him, but honestly, he's a really smart guy that knows a thing or two about energy and markets, I'm inclined to listen when he speaks.

Besides, Nat Gas and EVs don't have to be at odds. I think that they can compliment one another quite nicely. Notice how Pickens is targeting his efforts on sectors that consume a tremendous amount of fuel and nobody is trying to create an EV solution for (namely shipping and garbage/construction trucks). I think it makes perfect sense to move these larger vehicles to Nat Gas which is American and much cleaner than oil. This is something that we can largely do today if we decided that we wanted to do it because the technology is already there and proven. In fact, the private sector seems to be signaling that it is going to happen in spite of our government's lack of support. This is just not a part of the transportation sector that has a better alternative on the horizon, much less available now. I don't see why it has to be us vs. them. For all the same reasons that I want a Tesla in my driveway, I want my garbage truck and the Wal-Mart trucks I pass on the highway to run on Nat Gas.

How to you "get along" with someone when you abandon your own plan, agree to their proposal and then they vote against their own version of the plan? Those kind of guys wouldn't agree to much game play.

And Pickens is about Pickens. His suggestions are all about him making money. Not that there is anything wrong with that but his wanting to have right of way property rights to sell his water to Texas has little to do with NG or anything American.

How to you "get along" with someone when you abandon your own plan, agree to their proposal and then they vote against their own version of the plan? Those kind of guys wouldn't agree to much game play.

They stated that the goal was to not give Obama any legislative victories so that he would only get one term. Tough to do anything in the face of that strategy. Now that that's failed, and Obama isn't running again, the hope is that in their own self interest they'll get some meaningful legislation to show they can work across the partisan divide. I'm not overly optimistic, but its something to hang our hats on.