Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVs in the 2012 Presidential Debates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
haha1.gif

And any signs of compromise get them voted out in primaries by candidates willing to never compromise ever. Tough sledding, I'd say.

I believe the opposite will more likely be true. If there are no signs of compromise and they do not not heed the warning shots of losing the Presidency along with seats both in the Senate and House it will likely end their careers. People want work to get done. The message was sent. We'll just see if they listen.

And to wrap up this chapter we finally got public comments from Elon on this subject during the MT COTY publicity.

On CNBC 11/13 it was mentioned that Tesla was a political football during the election and Elon shot back they were more like a punching bag.

And at the MT COTY announcement Elon's speech had a little subtle dig for candidate Romney (paraphrasing from memory here). ---That while Tesla was called a loser it seems the outcome was correct but the subject was different.

And at the MT COTY announcement Elon's speech had a little subtle dig for candidate Romney (paraphrasing from memory here). ---That while Tesla was called a loser it seems the outcome was correct but the subject was different.
Tesla to Mitt Romney: Who's the Loser Now? -- Slate.com

Slate quotes him as saying, "In retrospect he was right about the object of that statement, but not the subject."

The grammarian in me wants to replace "object" with "predicate", but that's neither here nor there.

Tesla to Mitt Romney: Who's the Loser Now? -- Slate.com

Slate quotes him as saying, "In retrospect he was right about the object of that statement, but not the subject."

The grammarian in me wants to replace "object" with "predicate", but that's neither here nor there.

Right -- Elon's (not so) subtle message was "Who's the loser now, Romney?!" He then spiked his MT COTY trophy to the ground and walked away triumphantly holding his fists in the air.

For those who follow this stuff, Nate Silver has become something of an instant legend for correctly predicting all fifty states correctly in this year's presidential election, and only missing the North Dakota Senate race among the 33 senate races this year.

Anyway, given the large number of people on this site who live in the Bay Area and/or work in the technology field, this is Nate's latest article in Obama's popularity both geographically and by industry:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/28/in-silicon-valley-technology-talent-gap-threatens-g-o-p-campaigns/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Overall, I think that EVs get more of a fair hearing from Republicans than other environmental issues/causes for a variety of good reasons, but these are still some pretty stark numbers and demonstrate that we can hope for EV-friendly policies from a Democratic administration and/or Congress.

There has been plenty of rabid anti EV rhetoric coming from the GOP in recent years which drowns out the more rational voices in the party. Just ask Bob Lutz.

Most Big Oil money goes to the GOP, so that's not surprising. But here in Florida, for example, the state legislator that pushes for hybrid/EV perks is a young Republican from Boca Raton, and on TMC I think we have a nice percentage of conservatives compared to what one might expect for an EV. I have a lot of very conservative, hard core GOP friends, including many climate change deniers, and they all love the Model S and think Elon is a great capitalist. They were pissed at Romney for ragging on Tesla during the debates.

Anyone of such persuasion not in thrall (or hock) to Big Oil should like EVs as a matter of national security, and most especially a beautiful, made in the USA, awesome performing car like Model S or Roadster.