Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVs in the 2012 Presidential Debates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
o-SIMPSONSMOCKSROMNEY-570.jpg

Romney will be way better for Tesla than Obama. Tesla will make it based on their products not govt subsidies.
Elon himself said the govt loan was only like a third of their funding.
If you can build a better mousetrap and not get taxed or regulated out of existence, you can make it. Government can't fight market forces forever. You either have a product or service that holds it's own in the marketplace or you don't.

Face it Obama means to diminish the number of people who can afford a Model S. Romney means to increase the number.

Obama demonizes those who start businesses, run businesses, and create jobs and wealth. Romney celebrates them.

You're not going to switch the world from oil to electrons with big brother mandates, but electric cars that are more desirable than their oil based competition.

Exactly we should keep our oil. And then when everyone else starts to run out we can still make plastics!

Right. We shouldn't be burning what can be used for other products, which will probably be more important to us in the long run.

- - - Updated - - -

Same here, but I bet no one was eating it on naan bread. Wife special recipe!

Anyway, Romney is a good debater it seems and did seem to hold his own. But at the end of day will only speak for the rich and is very anti-environment as he does it "Romney style"

Mitt Romney Style (Gangnam Style Parody) - CollegeHumor Video

I hate to admit it, but I love it.

Romney will be way better for Tesla than Obama. Tesla will make it based on their products not govt subsidies.
Elon himself said the govt loan was only like a third of their funding.
You think Tesla can survive without one third of their funding, especially considering they just did another stock offering to increase their cash? Not likely. Elon can down play the loan but Tesla needed it, and it was a good investment by the government.
If you can build a better mousetrap and not get taxed or regulated out of existence, you can make it. Government can't fight market forces forever. You either have a product or service that holds it's own in the marketplace or you don't.
Like the gas guzzling SUV's we've had for the last few decades. Did great in the market, horrible product for the country.
Face it Obama means to diminish the number of people who can afford a Model S. Romney means to increase the number.
Actually, no. Obama means to diminish the obscene amounts of wealth locked up by the few and free it up for use by the many, increasing the number of people who can afford a Model S.
Obama demonizes those who start businesses, run businesses, and create jobs and wealth. Romney celebrates them.
Romney has destroyed many of them.
You're not going to switch the world from oil to electrons with big brother mandates, but electric cars that are more desirable than their oil based competition.
In reality you need both.

At least Romney supports clean coal.:rolleyes:
If there were such a thing, I might support it, too.

Somehow Romney conveniently forgets that the federal support that helped Tesla also helped GM and Ford. Did he call that out?

There's also an implication in Romney's statement that all of the $90 bn was spent trying to "pick winners". Most of it, however, was spent supporting basic research and technology development. That's bad, why?

There's also an implication in Romney's statement that all of the $90 bn was spent trying to "pick winners". Most of it, however, was spent supporting basic research and technology development. That's bad, why?
And that's just a tiny, tiny, tiny sliver of what the government indirectly subsidizes through R&D tax write offs. And a great many private R&D projects are also losers, that's the nature of R&D.

You wouldn't have anything to debate then...:wink::biggrin:

So maybe they shouldn't say **** they know nothing (or almost nothing) about. This goes for all public figures.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not entirely agree JRP...you have a President and his advisory staff who cannot differentiate between a billionaire and a millionaire...in reality, there is a massive difference between the two...the reality of today is that millionaires are just UMC and should not be mentioned in the same breath as Gates, Buffet & Co...I think Obama is very insensitive to your domestic small business folks and and this could actually decrease the number of UMC's who could afford a Model S...

[/QUOTE] Actually, no. Obama means to diminish the obscene amounts of wealth locked up by the few and free it up for use by the many, increasing the number of people who can afford a Model S.[/QUOTE]

So you are the official spokesperson for the forum members? You paint with a wide brush my friend.

He lumped Tesla in with Solyndra (which has a criminal investigation going on), Ener1, and Fiskar. Not all green initiatives are losers, get a clue Mitt. A vote for Mitt Romney is a vote to end the $7500 Federal Tax credit as well.

Theres nothing to worry about though, as the chances of a Romney presidency are slim to none.

Last edited:
the reality of today is that millionaires are just UMC
I have no idea how you manage to reach that conclusion. I've been a software engineer for 20 years, one of the better paid professions, easily UMC as my income has been around the top 10% nationwide for years (Income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I'm not remotely worth a million dollars net worth. Even counting my 401k (20 years at 15% contribution rate), my cars, house, every penny I've got, I'm not worth $500,000.

You think Tesla can survive without one third of their funding, especially considering they just did another stock offering to increase their cash? Not likely. Elon can down play the loan but Tesla needed it, and it was a good investment by the government.
The phrasing "down play" is an understatement. My recollection is that Elon clearly indicated that they didn't need the gov't assistance, but that it was a good option so they used it. It was in one of the Conf Calls IIRC.

Perhaps some of us are better investors than you...

I have no idea how you manage to reach that conclusion. I've been a software engineer for 20 years, one of the better paid professions, easily UMC as my income has been around the top 10% nationwide for years (Income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I'm not remotely worth a million dollars net worth. Even counting my 401k (20 years at 15% contribution rate), my cars, house, every penny I've got, I'm not worth $500,000.