Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVs noticed in Beijing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While in China last week, I kept my eyes open for EVs in traffic. Around Beijing, Tesla was the most often-seen, but there were others. I saw none around Chongqing. The most intriguing was the caravan of three electric buses, heading northward out of Beijing, loaded on trailers. We saw one charging station, and the supercharger site near our hotel seemed to stay busy. Our bus ICEd a charging station, but I saw no EVs around, and the cable appears to have been stationary for weeks, based on accumulated debris. Here's a closeup of a display.

At dinner near the close of our trip, we sat near a group from Sweden. They were there to develop transmission systems into Western China to reach new coal-fired power plants, close to some large coal mines. One of their people said coal is still big, and growing, and there is little interest in solar. Wind is getting some traction, though, he indicated.

On Saturday, the air quality in Beijing reached dangerous levels, causing breathing difficulty--and I don't have asthma. We all wore masks, since the air quality index exceeded 400 where we were. This is mostly because of coal-fired power plants, although the heavy traffic doesn't help. Apparently there's some hope that the new mayor, Cai Qi, will take steps to improve the air quality there.

What China needs is a swarm of air purifying drones... My proposed drones would go up each day, scrub the air, and come in at the end of their charge for filter replacements before being sent up again. Filter replacements and charging could be an automated task.

Supposedly something like this has already existed for over 2 years. How's it working out so far?

They were there to develop transmission systems into Western China to reach new coal-fired power plants, close to some large coal mines. One of their people said coal is still big, and growing, and there is little interest in solar.
China is the world's leading producer of solar panels (see solar panel production by country - Google Search ) and yet it continues to mine coal and build new coal-fired power plants.

On the plus side, there are signs that coal's contribution to the country's energy mix is declining and renewables are increasing, see China eyes fundamental shift in energy policy - BBC News
What China needs is a swarm of air purifying drones
That strikes me as absurd. What China needs is more renewable energy to power electric vehicles and stronger emission controls on industrial pollution sources.

Yes, there was zero evidence of solar--or else I simply failed to notice it. I doubt there are any climate change deniers in Beijing. When the air quality index (AQI) exceeds 500, as it now does periodically, and people are advised to stay indoors, you realize how significant our impact on the environment has become. The AQI scale only goes up to 500, and now they're seeing values above that! The apocalypse doesn't seem far away, once you've experienced that. It's truly overwhelming.

That strikes me as absurd.
Absurd.. they already exist:
article-2577347-1C2A204A00000578-278_634x385.jpg

Even if 100% was switched to renewables right now, you'd still need to clean that air. There's no way around it.

Absurd.. they already exist:
Even if 100% was switched to renewables right now, you'd still need to clean that air. There's no way around it.
What is absurd is the idea that such a solution could possibly have a significant impact on reducing atmospheric pollution to a safe level.

The pollution needs to be controlled at the source, not after it has been emitted.

Why does it appear to be leaving a smoke trail?
It's from China successfully tests smog-fighting drones that spray chemicals to capture air pollution | Daily Mail Online

The chemicals it's shooting off bind with the smog causing them to become heavy enough to fall to the ground.

The pollution needs to be controlled at the source, not after it has been emitted.
I'd argue it requires both to make an impact. It might take years for it to clean itself naturally.