TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EVs to cut consumption of junk food

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by mspohr, Apr 3, 2018.

1. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

How the arrival of electric cars could hurt the beverage industry

Unintended consequences.
    Gas stations make most of their profit from the junk food they sell along with the gas.
    Morgan Stanley has a brilliant analyst who predicts the decline of beverage and junk food sales with widespread EV adoption.
    Sounds like a win-win to me.

2. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

Unless they put more in the WaWa? WaWa is smart. I get drinks in the Richmond WaWa.

3. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

WaWa seems to be a smart company. We don't have them in California but I've been to a few back East. They could put in fast charging and keep selling food.

4. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

Reduces consumption in gas stations, maybe. But every time I stop at a Supercharger on a trip and there's quick food nearby? Let's just say I stop every 90 minutes or so.... It's hard to keep my weight down!

• Like x 1
  5. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

Sheetz in Pennsylvania/Eastern Ohio is putting Superchargers in at some of their has stations. The idea that EVs will hurt the beverage industry is nonsense.

• Like x 2
  6. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Respect the mods stay on topic

The $3.50 lattes at the Kettleman City supercharger might put Starbucks out of business though.

7. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

I agree. Will hurt gas stations that don't have charging.

• Like x 1
  8. gregd

gregd Active Member

Since the vast majority of charging is done at home, I think the amount of purchases at gas stations will certainly go down. Add "charging pumps" to the stations, however, and what remaining charging is done may cause more consumption, since the dwell time is a lot longer. One hardly has time to go into the store to buy something when filling up on dino juice, but given a 30 minute "quick" charge delay, one would certainly be tempted to shop. Bottom line, you have two opposing forces. Which will win is anybody's guess.

• Like x 1
  9. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

But WaWa has a bunch of credible somewhat healthy options right next to the junk food. So you can easily choose to eat less junk anyway.

• Like x 1
  10. david_42

david_42 Member

Yeah, if you are going to be there 30 minutes ... snarf city.

• Funny x 1
  11. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Well-Known Member

The government in UK is heading down the route of requiring filling/Gas stations to have EV charging ...

Government plans to make petrol stations install electric charging points

... my wife (according to TeslaFi :rolleyes:) still stops at the gas station on her way to work for a Coffee "quite often" ... (well, I presume its a coffee ... perhaps I'd better check out the hunk-behind-the-counter? :D)

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

Caffeine addiction and habits won't be overcome by vehicular fuel source changes.

13. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Well-Known Member

No, but leaving home with a full tank of fuel and she is still stopping at the filling/Gas station for "provisions" ... so if people want sugary drinks / junk-food I expect they will still stop. They are only going to stop for gas, what?, once a week? so for those wanting junk food they are probably already stopping e.g. daily ... I don't see that changing when they no longer have to stop for fuel.