Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVSE adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

You didn't seem to follow what he was asking about. Here's the key part:

He's talking about just a third party kind of cable converting pigtail that has a TT-30 plug on one end and then remaps the wires to a 10-30 receptacle so the Tesla adapter can plug into that. So yeah, of course they don't fit directly; that's what this little adapter cable would be for.

@Mrbrock That would be something you would probably have to make for yourself, because you probably won't find off-the-shelf adapter pigtails that would remap 240V onto 120V pins. So I was answering the question of "Would this work?" but really I don't think you should bother. Just buy the TT-30 adapter from EVSEAdapters.

Oh.

Yes - a homemade 'cheater' cable would work fine. One problem is finding 10-30 receptacles that are intended for portable use. Easiest would be to buy a 10-30 extension cord, cut the 10-30P end off, and graft on a TT-30P.

Reactions: Rocky_H
That would be something you would probably have to make for yourself, because you probably won't find off-the-shelf adapter pigtails that would remap 240V onto 120V pins. So I was answering the question of "Would this work?" but really I don't think you should bother. Just buy the TT-30 adapter from EVSEAdapters.
I already have a 10-30 extension cord that I used for a couple of weeks until I could extend the wiring from my dryer outlet to the other corner in my garage so I would just cut the extension cord about 12” from the receptacle end and add a TT-30P to the cut end and that would be my little adapter.

Thanks for confirmation that this will work.

Moving to a new job that has a place where a motor home was parked (hence the TT-30) so that will have to do coming from my old job where there is a 6-50 so my speed will be less than half (2.9kW vs 6.7kW). It instead of 2 hours to recharge 30% it’ll be a bit closer to 6. Still be able to recharge fully on work so all is good. And it was mentioned that they want to put some destination chargers in so that’ll be even better.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Oh.

Yes - a homemade 'cheater' cable would work fine. One problem is finding 10-30 receptacles that are intended for portable use. Easiest would be to buy a 10-30 extension cord, cut the 10-30P end off, and graft on a TT-30P.
So I checked my homemade extension cord and the receptacle was mean to be surface mounted but since I was going for inexpensive and was o it using it in my garage I went with it. Since this will be outdoors I figured it’s best to do as you mentioned and get one that is meant for outdoor use. I will probably add some kind of watertight connector cover at a later time that I can permanently keep around the 10-30 connection. Here is what I did (both units purchased from Amazon):

I purchased a 12” 14-30P to 10-30R adapter for using older appliances with newer outlets. As expected the wiring is 3 wires so the grounding pin on the 14-30P is unused as I hoped. I did not cut into the 10-30R to confirm that the Black and White wires go to the angled hot pins and Green to the corner neutral pin but based on the position of the wires in the cable I hope this is the case. I don’t see how else they would connect this with those wire colors available. It should be black, red and white but I assume this cabling is used for all sort of normal extension cords.

A46640A4-2297-4EC2-951E-CDCCD037FB71.jpeg

Then I cut off the 14-30P and stripped the wires.

0415401D-CA26-4C29-946A-7B3F4FBF2D0F.jpeg

I also purchased a TT-30P to replace the cut off 14-30P.

BE62EB66-93B1-4818-A35C-5F342F3567A6.jpeg

Then I wired it all up with the white wire to the W pin of the TT-30P as indicated in the plug. Black to the other angled pin and Green to the ground pin. Pretty easy. Plug is not designed to be waterproof so needs to be used with a waterproof in use cover.

794CF082-322E-45B6-AFAA-5669BA198322.jpeg

21F94815-6115-42CE-8C6D-70016C8DFB64.jpeg

All done. If anyone is interested in the same plug or doing a similar type with different plugs that isn’t readily available, please let me know. I enjoy this type of work and would charge an arm and a leg for the job.

Cheers!