Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVSEAdapters Supercharger Extension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any experience with the EVSEAdapters . Com 14ft supercharger extension cord? Would be super handy when towing for non-pull through sites, but would like to know anyones real world thoughts before putting up the cash as it’s not the cheapest cable out there, understandably so given it’s requirements.

Anyone have any experience with the EVSEAdapters . Com 14ft supercharger extension cord? Would be super handy when towing for non-pull through sites, but would like to know anyones real world thoughts before putting up the cash as it’s not the cheapest cable out there, understandably so given it’s requirements.
I don't believe that you can use an extension cord when using a Supercharger. The Supercharger charging cord is short for a reason. The voltage is not the issue. The charging amperage can be as much as several hundred amps.

I don't believe that you can use an extension cord when using a Supercharger. The Supercharger charging cord is short for a reason. The voltage is not the issue. The charging amperage can be as much as several hundred amps.
Check out their website. Specifically states the 14ft one is good for supercharging. I get what you’re saying though, hence my question about if anyones used one. In the end it’s just math on wire size. Cables carry more than 500 amps a lot longer distances every day when sized correctly.

Reactions: SilverString
Check out their website. Specifically states the 14ft one is good for supercharging. I get what you’re saying though, hence my question about if anyones used one. In the end it’s just math on wire size. Cables carry more than 500 amps a lot longer distances every day when sized correctly.
I agree with you but could see where Tesla may object as there is still potential for third party problems. It is, after all, a HUGE amount of power for an extension.

the EVSEAdapters . Com 14ft supercharger extension cord?
Check out their website.
How about you give the freaking link?! That really would help, instead of just telling people to go try to find something on the internet and hope it's the same thing you are talking about.

I just did some digging for a while on EVSEAdapters' site, and I think I found what you are talking about, but no guarantees. Is this it?
They have several lengths that say they are not for Superchargers, and then the 14 foot one, which does say it is specifically for Superchargers. It says it is out of stock right now. I hadn't heard of anyone making a Supercharger extension cord before, but if anyone could do it, I would trust EVSEAdapters to be the ones to make it well.

How about you give the freaking link?! That really would help, instead of just telling people to go try to find something on the internet and hope it's the same thing you are talking about.

I just did some digging for a while on EVSEAdapters' site, and I think I found what you are talking about, but no guarantees. Is this it?
They have several lengths that say they are not for Superchargers, and then the 14 foot one, which does say it is specifically for Superchargers. It says it is out of stock right now. I hadn't heard of anyone making a Supercharger extension cord before, but if anyone could do it, I would trust EVSEAdapters to be the ones to make it well.
I would trust that some idiot will try using one of the non-Supercharger EVSE Adapters extension cables with a Supercharger.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Sorry for not posting the link right away. Many forums have weird rules against it and I wasn’t sure being new here. Yes I should have went and read the rules I know. I did some searching and a cable rated for 500 amps, 2 conductors is almost 1.75” dia. Maybe they use time weighting to undersize the conductors knowing that the high current portion of the charge is no more than ~15 minutes?

Sorry for not posting the link right away. Many forums have weird rules against it and I wasn’t sure being new here. Yes I should have went and read the rules I know. I did some searching and a cable rated for 500 amps, 2 conductors is almost 1.75” dia. Maybe they use time weighting to undersize the conductors knowing that the high current portion of the charge is no more than ~15 minutes?

In household applications you are limited to 80% of what a conductor is specified for if the load is continuous for more than 3 hours (this is why a 30 amp breaker is good for 24 amp L2 charging, you are expected to be charging for longer than 3 hours) I wonder if commercial grade cables have a similar time specification in the code?

Keith

In household applications you are limited to 80% of what a conductor is specified for if the load is continuous for more than 3 hours (this is why a 30 amp breaker is good for 24 amp L2 charging, you are expected to be charging for longer than 3 hours) I wonder if commercial grade cables have a similar time specification in the code?

Keith
Yes, the NEMA codes for cabling are all based on an acceptable temperature gain limit from the amperage. This is assumed to be without temperature monitoring however.

Tesla has been pushing those limits around with how they operate the superchargers, on an individual basis the cables are never exceeding the maximum for more than a few minutes, but they also have active temperature monitoring so that even if the individual cabinet is pushing the limit over and over, if the temperature climbs, then the speed / amperage will be reduced. They can also reduce the amperage without reducing the power by increasing the delivered voltage - but I'm not sure how much room they have on that when they are directly feeding DC to the battery pack.

But adding 14 feet (a very odd size to choose) to the cabling is unlikely to change the resistance at all. The other cables aren't listed for the SC use likely b/c they do not have the proximity pin connected, and likely are also missing some other secret sauce in the handle to make the pedestal communicate and activate. It isn't as simple as a straight-through cable - I know, I've tried.