Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
evtripping.com is a new routing site that will be of interest to users of evtripplanner.com. The new site looks to provide similar functionality. From the new site's FAQ:
OTHER TRIP PLANNING SITES LIKE EVTRIPPLANNER.COM ALREADY EXIST, WHY ANOTHER SITE?
That's a great question. EVTripPlanner.com is an excellent site and has been available to the community for a long time and we've used and financially supported EVTripPlanner. When we were planning our own road trips we found there were features missing on other sites that we wanted to have available in a single place and the other sites were focused on different things or were not adding features quickly.
evtripping.com will be supported by ads and, possibly in the future, subscription.

For Tesla owners who're not familiar with evtripplanner.com and/or evtripping.com: they provide detailed routing and energy use calculations, taking into account elevation changes, temperatures, car and tire models, etc. etc.

Reactions: David99 and tliving
Unfortunately, they only support superchargers and Chademo....
That's all I've needed for my road trip planning. I've used other sources (than evtripplanner.com) for choosing destination charging. However, I've never planned a trip where I had to use a destination-type charger rather than Superchargers en route, as opposed to overnight.

More generally: both sites are works in progress, but I hope evtripper's developer will be able to add features more rapidly than Ben of evtripplanner has been able to do. Regardless of the future of evtripplanner, Ben -- a college student -- deserves our thanks and appreciation.

Competition is good, but it's telling me to stop for 35min of charging on a 207mi trip that loses 6,000+ft of elevation. The stop is not necessary and I see nothing that adjusts for Tesla model. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think this needs a lot of work before it compares to EVTripPlanner.

Reactions: Owner
Competition is good, but it's telling me to stop for 35min of charging on a 207mi trip that loses 6,000+ft of elevation. The stop is not necessary and I see nothing that adjusts for Tesla model. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think this needs a lot of work before it compares to EVTripPlanner.
As to the second point, to specify the car model choose Preferences from the dropdown menu on your user name, then click the Car Preferences (middle) tab. In addition to car model, you can specify tire size, battery degradation percent, and safety margin -- the SOC% you want to end with at a waypoint.

Last edited:
I wanted to take a look at this and try it out. However, it appears you need to establish an account before you can do anything, and I'm not willing to provide any personal info until I can determine the value of the site (program). Why do you require that an account be set up beforehand? I do not like to provide my personal info before knowing that it is a site (program) I will use. I would like to suggest that you eliminate the need for creating an account before being able to use the the site. If a user then determines the site has value to them, the person will then provide their personal info to create an account.

Reactions: mudmutt
... Why do you require that an account be set up beforehand? [emphasis added]
This morning I contacted the developer to let him know that I had started this thread, but whether or not he will participate I don't know. I just want to clarify that I started this thread as a user; I have no association with evtripping.com or its developer except as a user. I originally contacted the developer yesterday, via the site's Contact form, with some issues. He's been responsive.

Looking at their Privacy Policy it looks like their business model is a combination of ads on the site and in the future selling premium services.

Certain visitors to EVTripping’s websites choose to interact with EVTripping in ways that require EVTripping to gather personally-identifying information. The amount and type of information that EVTripping gathers depends on the nature of the interaction. For example, we ask visitors who sign up for to provide a username and email address. Those who engage in transactions with EVTripping - by purchasing job listings, for example - are asked to provide additional information, including as necessary the personal and financial information required to process those transactions.

I "virtually know" the developer. Never met him in person but we collaborated once and we occasionally tweet each other.

He asked me to take a look at the program a week or so ago, and my first complaint was the same thing. I don't want to make a login account even if it is just an email. Since I know him, I went ahead, but if I didn't know him I would have likely just passed on.

The reason for the login is that the site will work through an app also, so that you can carry the information with you in the car and probably through the touchscreen too someday, so it needs to know you are the same person.

If I'm going supercharger to supercharger, I don't really need a planner. evtripplanner is decent already for calculating exact energy consumption and plugshare for scanning maps for charging spots. I don't have a chademo adapter.

What I want is trip planner that can help me in remote places in-between superchargers. Find a set of alternative mid point chargers that can top me off. Say if I am going to Yosemite, where is a good place for some electrons. I'll be thrilled if there is some software for that. But it needs to work with all types of chargers and give you time estimates for charging too. Destination chargers often don't fit the bill as they are right now pricey hotels, and aren't always what you are looking for on that particular journey.

I wanted to take a look at this and try it out. However, it appears you need to establish an account before you can do anything, and I'm not willing to provide any personal info until I can determine the value of the site (program). Why do you require that an account be set up beforehand? I do not like to provide my personal info before knowing that it is a site (program) I will use. I would like to suggest that you eliminate the need for creating an account before being able to use the the site. If a user then determines the site has value to them, the person will then provide their personal info to create an account.

Reactions: Ulmo
This morning I contacted the developer to let him know that I had started this thread, but whether or not he will participate I don't know. I just want to clarify that I started this thread as a user; I have no association with evtripping.com or its developer except as a user. I originally contacted the developer yesterday, via the site's Contact form, with some issues. He's been responsive.

@brec, thanks for starting the thread. I'm the developer of EVTripping.com and i'm more than happy to answer questions about it. I try to have all the basic Q&A on the site in the FAQ section and i'd recommend people look there before overloading this thread. I'd like to keep any actual support issues out of the forum to avoid polluting TMC with it and perhaps revealing people's addresses etc. Those are best sent to me via DM, email or the contact form on the site.

Seems like a copy-paste-edit with insufficient editing, unless the future plans are a lot more comprehensive than I imagine.

Thanks for finding that! All Privacy policies are copy and paste and are mind numbing to read and edit.

I've been incredibly busy but just to catch up on the thread comments above:
  • EVTripplanner is a great and mature site that i've used and financially supported myself for a long time. It has more run time, more testing, more feedback etc. I explain in the FAQ why I started a somewhat similar site, and it definitely wasn't to undermine what Ben and team did. Feel free to use either, neither provides any significant income to those running them. More options to help people plan their trips (if they need it) can't be a bad thing.
  • EVTripping is designed to help route and get you from point A to B (with waypoints and back if needed) via fast chargers. There are lots of options for charging beyond fast chargers but that opens a whole different can of worms in trip planning. While some may wish that the site was for that, its not currently our focus and will not be coming soon. We do plan on letting you indicate for each stop that isn't a fast charger if you can charge and to what level at some point in the future.
  • On Registration being required: The act of calculating a route costs money and registration keeps that traffic to a more reasonable set of people and activities. We have gotten feedback on this area and are considering a "light" version of the routing page that doesnt require registration, but with over 700 registered users in 9 days we've got our hands full and getting those extra people that are not interested in registering isn't a priority right now.
  • On odd routes: We're getting a ton of great feedback from our registered users which is helping to point out those oddities. Multiple daily updates are improving the routing logic. We went from 10 beta users that didn't do a lot of routing beyond our own testing to over 700 in a short period in many countries, cars and scenarios. Its definitely a fun challenge but there will be bugs, routing issues and the like. If you don't want to deal with any of that wait until the site matures more.

I've been playing around with evtripping this morning and really find that I like some of the features more than evtripplanner. Namely, I love that I can export the entire route to excel, to be able to look at the data with more fidelity. I plan to use these spreadsheets then, which I'll calculate and show "RM Remaining" for each step, to provide a solid benchmark to gauge my actual remaining energy.

• Funny
Reactions: Owner
I've been playing around with evtripping this morning and really find that I like some of the features more than evtripplanner. Namely, I love that I can export the entire route to excel, to be able to look at the data with more fidelity. I plan to use these spreadsheets then, which I'll calculate and show "RM Remaining" for each step, to provide a solid benchmark to gauge my actual remaining energy.
You can download .csv files from evtripplanner, too. The link is in blue at the very bottom of the routing input form, under the results.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Seems like the algorithm doesn't optimize for minimum total drive + charge time?
(i.e. the route planner will chose a really close supercharger from starting point with corresponding longer charge time to reach destination, instead of a supercharger around mid point of route where the charge time is shorter and overall trip time is shorter)
If I force to use the specific mid point supercharger location instead of the early supercharger location, the total time can be a half hour shorter according to evtripping.com... would rather the tool be smarter and select it automatically.

Reactions: Ulmo