Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evtripplanner Down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is definitely something odd going on Internet-wide with DNS. Several of Comcast's DNS servers aren't resolving some names that I know are correct, and those same names are resolved correctly by OpenDNS and Google DNS.

I had to change my DNS forwarders on my office servers to OpenDNS vice Comcast DNS to get things to resolve properly.

If you're having DNS resolution problems, temporarily change to OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220).

• Informative
Reactions: Austral
Earlier today I had problems resolving a few sites, and I run my own DNS server at the house, so it seems the root servers or some major provider like netsol or godaddy hosting the domains is crapping out (unfortunately was too busy to track it down during the day when it was happening). Evtripplanner is resolving right now, as are sites that were not resolving earlier today.

There is definitely something odd going on Internet-wide with DNS. Several of Comcast's DNS servers aren't resolving some names that I know are correct, and those same names are resolved correctly by OpenDNS and Google DNS.

I had to change my DNS forwarders on my office servers to OpenDNS vice Comcast DNS to get things to resolve properly.

If you're having DNS resolution problems, temporarily change to OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220).

I tried switching from Comcast DNS to Google's DNS servers, but didn't have any better luck. I added one of the OpenDNS servers as my third option and was finally able to get a connection.

I think I found the problem. The evtripplanner.com domain is using DNSSEC to secure it's DNS records. The RRSIG for the evtripplanner.com domain expired on 6/22/2017.

Both Comcast and Google DNS is attempting to validate the RRSIG when their resolvers try to resolve evtripplanner.com, but since the RRSIG record is expired, they refuse to validate and return NX (non existent record).

OpenDNS is ignoring the invalid signature from the evtripplanner.com domain, therefore it resolves correctly.

DNSSEC analysis and validation from Verisign:

DNSSEC Analyzer - evtripplanner.com

evtripplanner.com-DNSSecAnalyzer.png

DNSSEC analysis and validation from DNSViz.net:

evtripplanner.com | DNSViz

evtripplanner.com-DNSViz.png

I don't know a lot about how DNSSEC works. I've used it before, but when I've done so it's been through GoDaddy, and with them you just turn DNSSEC on, and they take care of creating all the records and signatures for you, and update them when required. I don't know if evtripplanner.com's registrar or DNS provider is doing this automatically, but I suspect not. I'm betting that the records need to be manually updated.