TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

EVTripPlanner for dummies?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by scaesare, Oct 8, 2015.

1. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

OK, so what's the trick to making EVTripPlanner recalculate a route when I modify the waypoints?

I don't need to hit a supercharger 35 miles form my origination, so I delete it.. yet I can't figure out how to force the steps/map to recalc...

:confused:

Thanks.

2. liuping

liuping Active Member

Once the super chargers are added via the "route thru superchargers" button, you can delete a few, and click "route direct" and it will go though the remaining superchargers in the list.

3. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I've done that. Just tried it again.

I have deleted the Milford CT supercharger from my route, yet the "Steps" tab still lists it.

Although I DID manage to get it to remove the Bethesda, MD charger I deleted earlier from the steps, but not sure how I managed that when it won't delete other chargers...

4. liuping

liuping Active Member

It works consistently for me. As soon as I click "route direct" after removing the superchargers I want to skip, the steps update.

It might be worth trying a different browser, just in case it's not refreshing correctly for some reason.

5. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Have done that too. Two different browsers (Chrome & IE) on two different machines on 3 different networks with 3 different ISP's.

Here's a snippet of the page AFTER I've edited the waypoints and hit the "Route Direct" button (and get the little animated horizontal barber pole graphic while it's thinking):

evroute.PNG

Note Milford is NOT listed as a waypoint, yet remains in the steps...

:cursing:

6. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

is the guy still working on the site btw? Some of the newer chargers aren't on there and it would be nice to set supercharging levels and tripstartSOC on there.

7. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

#7 Max*, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    I read here something about him going off to college.

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

One thing I've noticed is that you cannot change the address of anything with the "plug" logo, or else it still will include the original entry when Route Direct is clicked on. I tried that when I was planning a trip and wanted to account for charging at a friend's house. I used a nearby Nissan dealer's entry and changed the address, but the steps still took me to the Nissan dealer. If you enter an address, it has to be on a lettered entry rather than a plug entry. Perhaps this is what the zoo is experiencing?

9. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Interesting.

Although as I noted above, at some point I WAS able to get it to delete the Bethesda MD supercharger from the route, and that was one of the "plug icon" locations... So I dunno....

10. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I find that I need to start over again, which can be a bit tedious when planning a long trip.

11. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Well that seems to have worked.

It appears that in making several changes to the route, at some point it just got stuck.

Thanks CHG-ON!

12. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Deleting is not a problem, changing the location of a plug entry is. But as you found, easiest to just start over.

13. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

Yes, Ben is still working on the site. I corresponded with him about an issue with maps zooming within the past week.

14. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Ditto that. I also corresponded with him about the zoom features of the map being covered up by the charger icons and he moved those to the other side of the map now. Very responsive. Send your concerns/thoughts and he will probably implement them.

15. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

All I know is that I am thankful that a college student did this for all of us in his spare time. Thank you Ben!

16. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Ha! From what I read he did it all while applying to college and then got into Stanford! As one with a senior, junior, and sophomore in the house right now, that is a lot of extra work as a high school student. Kudos, Ben.

17. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

from my experience at university (and i did a very intensive course) there is more than enough time to run a website. xD
    Kudos for him though, I assume he's just an EV fanatic? College student doesnt really fit the description of a Tesla driver...

18. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

His Dad had one and they worked on the project together initially. Andy, when you chat with Ben next, please give him our regards, thanks, and well wishes.

19. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

I emailed and asked him to add the P90D, if he has time. At the moment, only P85 is on there to choose from.

20. aja2460

aja2460 Old Member

There is a place on the EV Trip Planner website to donate to Ben's college fund. Thanks would be a great way to show our appreciation.