Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EW! Don't dump your trash beside the Supercharger!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until there is evidence that these littering's are by Tesla owners, there is a high possibility it is

1. An ICE going to park in 1, reads signs has a strop and chucks litter out.
2. Random people sitting at curb eating.
3. People deliberately hate EVs so throw there rubbish by it.

The thing that makes me think it isn't a tesla owner is that people who litter tend to litter on other peoples property or in the public not their own, and as tesla owners see the SC as part of theirs they wouldn't do it imho.

Who owns the property Tesla SC'ers are installed on? Aren't the property owner is responsible for installing trash containers and collection.

Isn't that part of the contract between Tesla and the property owner? But in any event folks that discard their trash like that are scumbags no matter what they drive.

I've started picking up trash from the SC every time I charge. I can't do it all, but if I see a piece of trash, a soda can, or anything else, my goal is to at least remove one item from the area per charge. There is always a Starbucks or something nearby with a trash can.

- K

It's unfortunate that some people think the ground is their own personal trash can. Cigarette butts are the ones that infuriate me the most. First you've chosen a habit that will kill you (and the people around you) but that wasn't enough, now you have to throw out your non-biodegradable butts on the ground for all the world to see, and at the detriment to the natural environment. Where I am from, KS, there is a large percentage of the population who still smokes and the huge piles of butts on the ground at each freeway exit where there is a stoplight is just obscene.

If everyone just did the bare minimum then this world would be a cleaner place just by default. Yet, that is still too much to ask from some people.

People please, put your trash in a trash receptacle where it belongs, not on the ground.

Off of soap box...

Jeff

I'm sick and tired of picking up other peoples rubbish. No more. In picking it up, the scum think they can do it again as someone else will clear it.

Unfortunately in todays society think its their right to do what they want and its fascist to tell them to pick it up. What a messed up world the West has become.

Also why have polystyrene food containers, the ones burgers go in, not been banned? Easily replaced with pulp ones.

You guys over the pond are lucky in that you have paper bags for groceries, we have plastic bags over here for them which are non bio degradable and always stuck in hedges and trees.

Agree with Jeff about the cigarette butts. You got to remember they don't care about smoking around (poisoning), children and babies, so they aren't going to care about throwing the butts on the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Columbus (TX) has a growing collection of lawn art. One of the sculptures incorporates a little free-swinging "bucket" and since it was empty, I contributed a steampunk medallion.
It was my Geocache background, no doubt!

We're going to start giving the stalls names (like the Robots at Fremont are named by the workers) to personalize / localize them.

"Willie, Lyle, Buddy, Van, Stevie Ray and Billy..."

Last edited:
Until there is evidence that these littering's are by Tesla owners, there is a high possibility it is

1. An ICE going to park in 1, reads signs has a strop and chucks litter out.
2. Random people sitting at curb eating.
3. People deliberately hate EVs so throw there rubbish by it.

The thing that makes me think it isn't a tesla owner is that people who litter tend to litter on other peoples property or in the public not their own, and as tesla owners see the SC as part of theirs they wouldn't do it imho.

I've met a few Model S owners who would definitely do something like this. The classic was when I was with my sister in her car (non-Tesla) on our way to the D event in Hawthorne & an owner told us to let him in (huge traffic backup), informing me that he was driving a Model S, so he had priority.

Dude, really? (Yeah, he'd litter and expect someone else to clean it up.)

I've met a few Model S owners who would definitely do something like this. The classic was when I was with my sister in her car (non-Tesla) on our way to the D event in Hawthorne & an owner told us to let him in (huge traffic backup), informing me that he was driving a Model S, so he had priority.

Dude, really? (Yeah, he'd litter and expect someone else to clean it up.)

A little off topic, but I feel this sense of entitlement I'm starting to hear and feel could be the biggest impediment to the EV movement if we, as a community, are not careful. I've even experienced this "holier than thou" attitude myself, and it makes me cringe as an EV advocate and Tesla supporter.

A little off topic, but I feel this sense of entitlement I'm starting to hear and feel could be the biggest impediment to the EV movement if we, as a community, are not careful. I've even experienced this "holier than thou" attitude myself, and it makes me cringe as an EV advocate and Tesla supporter.

Hey that's given me an idea request for the model X. Why not have lights circulating the roof so that it appears as though it has a halo.

I have to agree. I did a lot of reading and research before deciding to put in my order, but the attitude of some owners almost turned me off from the idea of owning a Tesla. While I do think that the Model S is a great vehicle, disparaging gasoline vehicles (and the people that drive them) is not the way to go. If people want the adoption rate of electric vehicles to go up, then the community needs to be more welcoming and inclusive instead of acting like elitist jerks.

It reeks of the whole "Prius smug" thing from years back. It's just a car, people. Relax.

I have to agree. I did a lot of reading and research before deciding to put in my order, but the attitude of some owners almost turned me off from the idea of owning a Tesla. While I do think that the Model S is a great vehicle, disparaging gasoline vehicles (and the people that drive them) is not the way to go. If people want the adoption rate of electric vehicles to go up, then the community needs to be more welcoming and inclusive instead of acting like elitist jerks.

It reeks of the whole "Prius smug" thing from years back. It's just a car, people. Relax.
I think there are also a lot of us buying Teslas that wouldn't have been caught driving an S-class Mercedes or other luxury cars *because* it could be perceived as elitist. I hope there are enough drivers with your attitude to balance out the few with the green halos.

We really ought to think about it before thinking we're worthy of holiness. Those of us who buy new have paid >$80,000 including all taxes and fees. those who've bought used have rarely paid less than $60,000. What kind of self-righteous Greenie would ever spend that insane amount of money for something that is FUN, exactly no non-financial pain, looks good, feels good. Get real! I'm with Jool. It's just a car. A car different than every other car, but still a car.

I've started picking up trash from the SC every time I charge. I can't do it all, but if I see a piece of trash, a soda can, or anything else, my goal is to at least remove one item from the area per charge. There is always a Starbucks or something nearby with a trash can.

I do the same. The most common trash I've found thus far is drink cups from fast food restaurants. Recently I found one on top of an SC pedestal. My guess is the driver put it up there to free both hands to disconnect, and then forgot they put it there and drove away. Accidents do happen.

Last edited:
I regularly clean up around the charging cabinets at the Chattanooga SuperCharger and have even gone so far as to wipe them down after a rain and wax them while I was waiting for a charge. The parking attendant came over to see what I was doing. When I told her she just shook her head and commented, "You Tesla people are something else!" (Not sure if that was good or bad,) but the cabinets really looked good when I was done.

I regularly clean up around the charging cabinets at the Chattanooga SuperCharger and have even gone so far as to wipe them down after a rain and wax them while I was waiting for a charge. The parking attendant came over to see what I was doing. When I told her she just shook her head and commented, "You Tesla people are something else!" (Not sure if that was good or bad,) but the cabinets really looked good when I was done.

I thought we were doing well on our recent road trip picking up lots of trash while we charged at superchargers but now I see I need to step up my game and start carrying a full detailing kit.

The amount of trash varied greatly between the superchargers we went to. The one in Cheyenne, WY was the worst so far - I filled a couple grocery bags with trash there. It might be because it's in a strip mall and junk just blows around normally, or because of all the RVs that were parked around there at the time (not sure if that's a normal RV display), or both. While some of the trash is probably left accidentally as someone mentioned, you put the cup down to do something and then forget it there, I'd say most was just people being inconsiderate. I'd like to think it's not the Tesla owners but I'd probably be disappointed by the truth of it.

The amount of trash varied greatly between the superchargers we went to. The one in Cheyenne, WY was the worst so far - I filled a couple grocery bags with trash there.

I didn't notice any trash the two times we were there. However, I wasn't looking for any, plus I was more conceded about being able to charge since 2A wasn't working either time (about a week apart). The RVs were there only during the second visit.