Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ex-demo purchase woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can see that the car wasn't even advertised with the manufacturing year.. the numpty I spoke to said that this information is available on the advert as it says 2017 on the tab... I have never heard such gobbledygook in a long time...it's a shame that I haven't got the whole only chat transcript..

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 20.06.49.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 20.06.49.png

As everyone says RUN AWAY!!!

Not only is the warranty an issue this would have been used as a loan car, so the battery will be knackered by endless supercharging, trim will be knackered by countless random people using it like a rental, and Tesla will not have looked after it.

Reactions: Wol747
I’m in a similar situation. Bought an ex demo M3 with 6k on the clock, direct from Tesla. At the time it was 10 months old. It was listed under their “New” inventory.
The guy on the chat said I will receive 4 year’s warranty and the balance on the mileage I.e. 44k (remainder of the 50k).
I don’t have a record of this chat, nor does it mention this on the invoice. I contacted someone from customer services last week and they said “raise a service ticket via the app, they’ll be able to let me know” exactly what my warranty situation is.

Hi SR-Plus, this issue becomes even more pertinent for me as the car has already done 48k miles....

yes I am likely to run away but I really don't want them to get away without being a bit more accountable and I want my £100 back. I would prefer to spend it on a few gin and tonics when the lockdown ends rather than paying Tesla for their incompetence in this matter. To add to the confusion they emailed me today to say that now it comes with a used car warranty (even though it wasn't sold as a used car and there is no mention of used car warranty in the advert).

The feeling I am getting is that they just say anything that comes to their mind and think they can get away with it..which then indicates a much more systemic problem with their sales/delivery team and raises questions about the reliability of the Brand itself. Lets see how far this goes..I am in no rush..

You've now got proof that they claimed the car was new, but then offered you a used car warranty. Can't be both. Ask for your deposit back and take them to the small claims court if not forthcoming. Can't imagine them winning a case of a New car with 48k on the clock.
Can you ask to see the V5? That shows the number of owners.

Seems to me that the claim to be new is really just a technically narrow definition for tax purposes. Obviously a car with 48k on the clock can’t possibly be new. In any case, I think even this narrow definition of “new” cannot be right. You can buy a BMW that has been used by BMW UK staff (“Bracknell cars”) but they are always used and you become the second owner in the V5.

absolutely, its just keeps on getting better and better. one email said warranty till May 2021 and now another said till july 2021. They just called me and I have asked for all communication to be done via email now. I have spent upwards of 10 hours on all this malarkey. Feeling inclined to send them my payslip and show them loss of earning :mad:

i have a screenshot of the online conversation and email confirming that I would be the first registered owner and car has never been registered and now second email saying that car was registered in 2017..the advert doesn't mention year at all...something is going terribly wrong with Tesla customer care.. funny enough they said that its their policy to not allow customer to speak to any managers and one of the guys even said on the phone that they do not think I have a valid complaint because the tab on the internet explorer had digits 2017 in it !!!

i have never been one to complain, never sought compensation for anything in my life, heck never even asked my firm for reimbursement of business miles for the last 15 years but somehow I feel inclined to pursue this.. I think this is more about the morality of their sales tactics and thinking that they can take a customer for a fool..

To put a bit of balance, but not as any defense of Tesla, but as I understand, the definition of 'new car' differs in the USA - iirc someone recently said that in the US, a new car is one that has not been sold to the public.

If this does provide some balance, then it is still inexcusable that they either officially apply this definition outside the US or, top of my list of possibilities, the person who said it was not in the UK and just applied their understanding of US sales to UK.

It does beg the question though, how can a car in the US be officially listed as new with 48k miles on it?

in UK the definition for tax purposes is also the same, if it has not been registered by anyone other than the manufacturer it can be counted as new for company tax purposes. unlike US, UK doesn't have a mileage limit from what I can see but I am sure HMRC will raise some questions.

They have just emailed me that the car was mis-advertised as new and should have been advertised as used. It's scary to know that I would have spent 45k on car thinking I will get all the tax benefits and long warranty had it not been a chance conversation with them before paying the money.

i have now asked them why they have limited the used battery warranty to 150k on this car whereas all other used 2017 cars with same specifications come with unlimited mileage warranty. I have asked if there are any known issues with the car that made them deviate from normal warranty standards. Lets see what they come up with..

one thing I can't complain about is the speed of their responses not matter how erroneous they have been..they still are not offering intervention from a senior manager in spite of all that is going on..

They have emailed me thrice today since I last posted suggesting that they would refund the deposit if i cancelled the order. I think they are keen to see the back of me. Threatening me that they would cancel the order if they didn't receive the payment within 48 hours but also telling me that now they can't confirm whether or not the car had been registered before and suddenly changing the terminology that you would be the "first private registered keeper" and we can't confirm whats on V5C today.

Apart from all the lies they have said including when i was booking that it comes with new warranty, it boils down to some simple facts that at the time I booked this car and ever since:
1-This was the only ex-demo car advertised by Tesla in the UK (and actually every other country that I checked) where the 50k miles warranty didn't say (total miles) and battery warranty did. This was further confirmed by their online chat to say it comes with full additional 50k warranty
2- This was the only car advertised by Tesla in the UK (and actually every other country that I checked) which did not have the model year in the advert
3- This was the only car advertised by Tesla in the UK (and actually every other country that I checked) which did not have the expiry date of warranties
4-
This was the only car advertised by Tesla in the UK (and actually every other country that I checked) where a used car warranty was modified (changed from unlimited warranty to 150K i.e. changed from a used car warranty to look like a new car warranty without any explanation apart from because we can.
5-This car was advertised in new car section but deemed to be used later on without specifying this in the advert or any other communication thereafter until i raised complaints.
6- This was the only car advertised by Tesla in the UK (and actually every other country that I checked) where a used car warranty was not specified on the advert. This implies that this information was withheld and not made apparent even after I complained until a few days to deliberately give the impression that this is still being treated as a new car (ex-demo).
7- Attempts to raise concern were discouraged by saying that the concern was invalid.
8- attempts to belittle the consumer were made by saying stupid things like the tab 2017 digits i mentioned above
9- Now threatening behaviour is being used to pressurise by saying pay now else we will cancel the order.

now they call it "a bit of confusion", I call it deliberate mis-selling verging on fraud (thats for the court to decide)

They could have just said sorry, we messed up, this is what we have learned, this is what we will do and here is a bottle of bubbly for your troubles...but the have chosen to be rude, unapologetic and devious...

drafting a letter to trading standards.. making an interesting read so far..

Can we name a charity please where I can donate the £100 refund I get back, when and if I do..

As others said - walk away....

The "new" definition is probably better described as "no previous owners" - as Tesla won't show as a previous owner on the registration documents (just like any other garage). They do clearly state it's Ex-Demo and has 48,000+ miles so they're not really lying on that part!