Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ex-GM vice chair blasts Tesla, saying supporters 'like members of a religious cult'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thing I like about Bob is that he doesn't hold back. :) I'm not really sure about why he has such a hate-on for Elon and Co. It can't be that he dislikes EVs. He did push GM to do the Volt. I do suppose that Tesla is embarrassing GM somewhat, and maybe Bob by extension.

The thing I like about Bob is that he doesn't hold back. :) I'm not really sure about why he has such a hate-on for Elon and Co. It can't be that he dislikes EVs. He did push GM to do the Volt. I do suppose that Tesla is embarrassing GM somewhat, and maybe Bob by extension.

Elon built the car he really wanted to build, a premium all electric. The Volt is neither. His ego was badly bruised by that. And to see Tesla continue to innovate really ads salt to that open sore.

As others have noted above, he's being provocative to stay relevant, even though his day in the sun has passed. He's always good for a sound-bite and the press just eats it up because it guarantees an easy click-bait headline with no effort. Fact-checking requires effort, time and resources, so why bother. Hey, they're just "reporting" what the guy says; they're not doing investigative journalism.

What's really sad is seeing a one-time industry leader, a mover-and-shaker, trying to get back into the limelight like a has-been movie star accepting that embarrassing cameo in a C-movie. Lutz is nothing more than an annoying gnat: bothersome at times; ignored mostly. Eventually, when people hear his buzzing approaching, they will just walk away. In the meantime, it behooves us to keep swatting away at the pest lest we get a nasty little bite.

Last edited:
Reactions: nathanharman
As others have noted above, he's being provocative to stay relevant, even though his day in the sun has passed. He's always good for a sound-bite and the press just eats it up because it guarantees an easy click-bait headline with no effort. Fact-checking requires effort, time and resources, so why bother. Hey, they're just "reporting" what the guy says; they're not doing investigate journalism.

What's really sad is seeing a one-time industry leader, a mover-and-shaker trying to get back into the limelight like a has-been movie star accepting that embarrassing cameo in a C-movie. Lutz is nothing more that an annoying gnat: bothersome at times; ignored mostly. Eventually, when people hear his buzzing approaching, they will just walk away. In the meantime, it behooves us to keep swatting away at the pest lest we get a nasty little bite.

Good point - the only fact checking they did is to confirm that this old angry man is in fact Bob Lutz.

Last edited:
Reactions: X-Auto