Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EX RedBull F1 guy is New chief of Global Service Training

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this guy has loads of talent and is a great engineer and all that but... Are we aiming for F1 grade service here?

Your focus is too narrow and pointed in the wrong direction. This is a fabulous hire. Genius, actually. It's much like Tesla hiring a hacker to oversee their software security; they've hired a mechanic of astounding knowledge, talent and ability to oversee their global service training.

Last edited:
Its good news, its like a football team signing a great player. Always improving on your squad to beat and stay ahead of the competition.

- - - Updated - - -

Does a pit stop involve anything other than a tire change?

Only seen a few races but remember a pitstop guy wipe the visor of the driver's helmet with a hanky.

Last edited:
Refueling the car.

Actually, Formula 1 does not refuel anymore; they carry a full race distance of fuel from the start. This is enabled by using a high-performance hybrid power train with regenerative braking. This resulted in a 50% reduction in fuel use with similar performance!

So the 2 to 4 second pitstops they routinely do now consist primarily of a 4-wheel tire change (using 12 mechanics!), but may also include a quick clean of the radiators and adjustment of the aero wings.

My 2 cents on the subject:

There are a couple of aspects of Service Centers that need consideration. One is the cost of operations (A) and the second is customer satisfaction (B).

A. Speed of service has relevance to technicians and center's effectiveness, hence the cost of operating them can be reduced with better jobs planning and execution. This excellent hire is likely to make advancements to this aspect of Service Centers operations.

B. Key elements of providing excellent customer service in Service Centers:

1. Ability to extract information about the problem from both the customer and the car

2. Ability to provide satisfactory service appointment, adequate to the problem (emergency vs non emergency)

3. Ability to fix the problem - all planning and preparation needs to happen before this step. As a customer, I would not put too much value on speed of car service, as no matter how fast the service happens, I am likely out of my car for a day or longer.

4. Ability to communicate back to customer and educate them about the problem - I would like to see technicians wear body cameras when fixing my car and uploading the video to my account

I think there is probably some middle ground between requiring the technicians to wear body cameras and some words you don't understand on the service report. :)

It is more about the trust than understanding

Tesla may be an exception as their service centers are not profit centers. Their technicians are not incentivised to do too much work

One day we'll get there :smile:

It is more about the trust than understanding

Tesla may be an exception as their service centers are not profit centers. Their technicians are not incentivised to do too much work
Given that I have never paid a dime for the work the technicians do (oh, wait, not true, when I drove a nail into one of my tires they did make me pay for the tire but not for the work since "we had it on the lift, anyways")... I'm not too worried if they do more than they absolutely have to in order to keep my car in perfect shape...

Given that I have never paid a dime for the work the technicians do (oh, wait, not true, when I drove a nail into one of my tires they did make me pay for the tire but not for the work since "we had it on the lift, anyways")... I'm not too worried if they do more than they absolutely have to in order to keep my car in perfect shape...

Many people pay for repairs and it is of great interest to them how much they pay and what for. The trust between the customer and the technician can only be strengthened if there is some verification of the work. Verification might be quite useful to Tesla as well in monitoring their technician's skill level.

Just imagine the scenario of a technician going rogue. Even pilots go rogue, so technician going rogue is not so far fetched. A rogue technician can do a lot of damage to both Tesla and many customers if there is no verification system in place.

It is unfortunate that cars given to non owners for various reasons often get abused by non owners. It would be great if Tesla leads the way here by having some transparency system in place to prevent car abuse.

Many people pay for repairs and it is of great interest to them how much they pay and what for. The trust between the customer and the technician can only be strengthened if there is some verification of the work. Verification might be quite useful to Tesla as well in monitoring their technician's skill level.

Just imagine the scenario of a technician going rogue. Even pilots go rogue, so technician going rogue is not so far fetched. A rogue technician can do a lot of damage to both Tesla and many customers if there is no verification system in place.

It is unfortunate that cars given to non owners for various reasons often get abused by non owners. It would be great if Tesla leads the way here by having some transparency system in place to prevent car abuse.

Curious if you have gotten the same kind of recorded verification you're mentioning here ... and especially curious what has happened in your vehicle repair history that causes this type of response. Not a negative inquiry, but truly curious what caused you to *go there*, where you'd ask for them to wear a body cam. Tesla Service is not a profit center, techs don't work on commission, and if you're paying, you can always ask for the replaced part.

And sure, a Tesla tech can go rogue. So can a lone driver on a traffic-dense freeway. A bus driver. Or a kid with a rock he's aching to drop from an overpass. Or sugar dropped in an ICE fuel tank. Lots of things CAN happen. Is there something in particular about a Tesla service operation?

Do you demand the same from your dry cleaner, your surgeon...etc?

I just realized what's bothering me about this, Auzie. No disrespect, but if I worked for Tesla as a tech & they required me to wear a camera while working ... I'd quit. It indicates such a lack of trust. Best case, you will have a tech that only does exactly what they have to do and nothing more. Worst case, you'll have some jerk who was willing to take the job, but is actively looking for a way to defeat the camera.

People have pride in their work. Requiring them to wear a camera just screams 'we don't trust you'. I've built up a good relationship with the techs that work on my car. I would never insult any of them by asking them to wear a camera.

But now that I think about it, consider how much damage a chef could do to public health by contaminating an evening's menu. Everyone could get sick a day later and the culprit could be long gone. Or deny it was them, but rather maybe the dishwasher that left toxic residue on the serving plates. Or the line cook. Or just a guest sneezing in the main dining room that got everyone sick.

You see where I'm going with this ... we need to operate day-to-day with some modicum of trust or we will be paralyzed in place. Ask for the replaced part, if you're paying for the repair. Talk to a supervisor if you think corners were cut. But every Tesla technician I've interacted with takes a great deal of pride (which has been earned imo) & would be insulted if it were implied they couldn't be trusted.

Do you demand the same from your dry cleaner, your surgeon...etc?

I think surgeons are already recording their work. Often patients, if they are conscious, can watch what happens. Regarding dry cleaner they can do very little damage. Parents do monitor new baby sitters until they are satisfied that they can trust them.

I just realized what's bothering me about this, Auzie. No disrespect, but if I worked for Tesla as a tech & they required me to wear a camera while working ... I'd quit. It indicates such a lack of trust. Best case, you will have a tech that only does exactly what they have to do and nothing more. Worst case, you'll have some jerk who was willing to take the job, but is actively looking for a way to defeat the camera.

People have pride in their work. Requiring them to wear a camera just screams 'we don't trust you'. I've built up a good relationship with the techs that work on my car. I would never insult any of them by asking them to wear a camera.

But now that I think about it, consider how much damage a chef could do to public health by contaminating an evening's menu. Everyone could get sick a day later and the culprit could be long gone. Or deny it was them, but rather maybe the dishwasher that left toxic residue on the serving plates. Or the line cook. Or just a guest sneezing in the main dining room that got everyone sick.

You see where I'm going with this ... we need to operate day-to-day with some modicum of trust or we will be paralyzed in place. Ask for the replaced part, if you're paying for the repair. Talk to a supervisor if you think corners were cut. But every Tesla technician I've interacted with takes a great deal of pride (which has been earned imo) & would be insulted if it were implied they couldn't be trusted.

Car abuse is quite common and over servicing is quite common because it is so easy to do it and dealers incentive feeds right into it, in case of servicing. There are few example links that Canuck provided here

Tesla servicing model may be such that cars are less subject to abuse but as the business grows it becomes much harder to control what happens with all the employees that may operate in different environments and cultures.

When there is high potential for abuse, like unmonitored high value goods, then some inbuilt transparency is required rather than offensive. Perhaps technicians do not wear cameras, but any work on cars is better off verified, by a camera or any other creative way.

As for some personal examples, I do not pay for service for many years now but when I used to pay it used to matter. The example I remember, I had few years old Audi, that developed some kind of water leak into back passengers floor space during rain, quite a pool. I took it to few shops and what they told me they would do to my car just scared me. The proposal was total car body disassembly that would take a week, and astronomical charge, in thousands of dollars.

I googled the problem and gave it a go myself. It took me half an hour to take the battery out, clean some leaves debris under the battery, put it back and the problem was gone.

Last edited:
So you had a bad experience and you project this on to a whole category of people. I met an Australian and he was a total jerk. Never mind, that's way beneath me.
Fundamentally I agree with what bonnie says. I have nothing but the highest praise for Tesla's service. And I see not the slightest reason why anyone would ask them for such an excessive measure as wearing cameras.
I remember at bonnie's party last year a Model S of out of town visitors got damaged in the late afternoon. It was closing time at the service center. Bonnie called, they sent a flat bed and a technician stayed late to assess the damage and make sure that the owners could continue their trip the next day. THAT's what I think of when I think of Tesla service.

I think surgeons are already recording their work. Often patients, if they are conscious, can watch what happens. Regarding dry cleaner they can do very little damage. Parents do monitor new baby sitters until they are satisfied that they can trust them.

You sure about that? What percentage of cases would you say are entirely recorded? You might want to double check that. Either way what you are asking for is neither warranted or practical and would cause a lot more harm than good.