Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ex Tesla Forums community: We were closed down by Tesla: Engage has nowhere to go.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t say “so much for Tesla and free speech” so I’m not sure to whom your rhetorical question applies
If you are referring to his comments on the tech giants being defacto arbiters of free speech (picking which speech to remove), saying "Elon" instead of "Tesla" doesn't change things to make your comment logical either.

1) Tesla removed the entire platform, they aren't picking and choosing which posts to remove. In fact, from my limited experience viewing that forum, it's way too lax about trolls.
2) Those forums were not where the general public go to post their speech, much less be de facto. In fact those forums aren't even the main forums for niches like car talk, EVs, or even Tesla's (TMC is larger). As relevant to this subject, we are welcoming people moving here with open arms.

The US Constitution's free speech provision is to protect people from the government from limiting speech, due to the fact when the government does so, it can be far reaching. The current large social media platforms are a similar analog, given they are the primary place people go to express themselves (especially so during pandemic when more interactions are going digital). Stopping speech in those platforms has a huge impact, similar to a government ban. The EU is certainly cognizant of that, which is why the Digital Services Act they are pushing now targets those large companies. The platforms themselves are also careful about how they handle things (opting to put warnings where possible instead of outright removal, as they likely feel there may be future laws passed targeting them even in the US, if they do things too directly).

Hey, I’ve been looking for a thread like this...finally some familiar names. Good to see you guys. Hope to find some insightful content here and maybe less troll bickering. From the looks of things it’s a little less contentious.
@Spuzzz, good to read you again.
I’m trying to figure the best way to monitor new M3 content and stay engaged, especially hoping to see more familiar friends from the forums. @EVRiders suggestion of What’s New is good, and I filter that for posts I’ve participated in to help stay engaged. I find the forums and sub forums a bit overwhelming. 😅

@Spuzzz, good to read you again.
I’m trying to figure the best way to monitor new M3 content and stay engaged, especially hoping to see more familiar friends from the forums. @EVRiders suggestion of What’s New is good, and I filter that for posts I’ve participated in to help stay engaged. I find the forums and sub forums a bit overwhelming. 😅
I’ve changed my browsing strategy a bit. I’m now watching all the forums I have any interest in, and added a “watched content“ filter (in conjunction with the unread filter), and I use New Posts to browse. It still doesn’t work quite as I expect (see my previous reply) but it’s adequate.

I’ve changed my browsing strategy a bit. I’m now watching all the forums I have any interest in, and added a “watched content“ filter (in conjunction with the unread filter), and I use New Posts to browse. It still doesn’t work quite as I expect (see my previous reply) but it’s adequate.
Oops, just now seeing this ... thanks I’ll try it. Like M3phan, I am a bit overwhelmed with the site. So many different views and ways to slice up the info. ”New posts“looks like a good way to filter out some noise. I also just noticed the spot where you see targeted responses to your own posts. I like that...an improvement over the old tesla forums that only notified you of a response if you happened to be online when it was made.

Since I started the thread, I guess I can comment :)

Thank you all for coming out. Some names are the same, others changed. Like wallpaper.
It would be nice to have identification of members from the Forum.
When I joined this group I changed my name on our old forum from Ross to Ross1, to align with both platforms.
There was already a Ross on TMC.

I have a Model 3 Long Range now, although I never thought it would happen due to living on an island state in AUS with no SC.

Reactions: danny