Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ex Tesla Forums community: We were closed down by Tesla: Engage has nowhere to go.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things turned especially uncivil over there at the end. The sense of “what are they going to do, ban me?” in the final days turned everything up to 11. A few folks were whipped into a frenzy, desperate to convey their particular agenda and leave a bad taste as the Tesla Forum’s legacy. I’ll happily suffer the loss of all that.

I moved over here from the Tesla Forum last week. So far, it's far more civil. I hope it stays that way.

It should. One of the reasons it is civil is that it is moderated. Makes a big difference. I gave up on the Tesla forums (my name was shop) many moons ago due to lack of thread categories, and lack of moderation.

I just hope that the mods here are on the lookout for FishEV, one of the worst Tesla trolls ever.
Even though I only rarely look at the Tesla forums (only see it when googling other things) I have seen his posts there too. Seems like the forum was infested with similar trolls and they had almost free rein, so perhaps Tesla just closed it due to the toxic atmosphere (which probably did not reflect well on the brand due to it being the official forums for the brand).

Reactions: M3phan
I just hope that the mods here are on the lookout for FishEV, one of the worst Tesla trolls ever.

Speaking for myself (as a mod of the model 3 and energy sections here), I am not going to "pre judge" someone based on what they might or might not have done somewhere else. As far as moderating my sections here, what happens here is what is important, not what someone did somewhere else. I am reasonably certain the other moderators feel the same.

With that being said, as I mentioned up thread a bit, we dont allow trolling here, and dont allow personal attacks. We do allow people to post their thoughts, opinions, etc, and its no where near a requirement to be "pro" or "against" anything specifically. The requirement we have is to be cordial to each other, and present your thoughts and opinions without attacking anyone.

If this user you mention (or anyone else) ends up here and is a regular member of the community, even if they have strong "pro" or "against" viewpoints, as long as its discussion, and not attacks, it would be ok. As I mentioned, if you see something objectionable, please report it to the mods of that section using the report feature, we do read them all, and usually take fairly quick action.

TL ; DR -- We are welcoming those of you who want to make this your new tesla forum destination, and what you did somewhere else doesnt really matter as long as you follow the rules here. We do enforce those rules here actively.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: M3phan and house9
Like some of you I'm a new outcast from the Tesla Forums. I have a question about using TMC that maybe you can help with...

I'm using the "New Posts" view to browse content here. I'm finding that the contents of that view is different depending on which device I use, even with the same filters and with browser refreshed.

For example, a little while ago, the first image shows what the view looked like on my Mac, and the second shows what it looked like on my iPad.

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 4.48.17 PM.png
7EE5C4DB-D0FE-4E69-B519-4E876C15554D_1_201_a.jpeg

Why are they different? Is there a sorting setting that might be different on the two devices?

Also, if I was going to start a new thread with this topic, which is the appropriate (sub)forum to use?

Thanks!

Reactions: M3phan
Like some of you I'm a new outcast from the Tesla Forums. I have a question about using TMC that maybe you can help with...

I'm using the "New Posts" view to browse content here. I'm finding that the contents of that view is different depending on which device I use, even with the same filters and with browser refreshed.

For example, a little while ago, the first image shows what the view looked like on my Mac, and the second shows what it looked like on my iPad.

View attachment 645371 View attachment 645372

Why are they different? Is there a sorting setting that might be different on the two devices?

Also, if I was going to start a new thread with this topic, which is the appropriate (sub)forum to use?

Thanks!

I dont know why that is different. The site just underwent a big update though (it was down through a weekend as the site owners upgraded the site).

I am a volunteer mod and was not involved in that process. To answer your other question, though (where would I start a thread on this topic?), I would suggest the site feedback forum:

Welcome everyone! We appreciate you giving TMC a try. As @jjrandorin mentioned, please let us know if you have any feedback, questions, or run into any issues, in the Site Feedback forum. I am one of the administrators so please feel free to reach out to me if you like by starting a Conversation (similar to a direct message) with me: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/conversations/add?to=danny

Shutting the Tesla forums was a good thing. The one thing I will miss though is that the topics weren't sub-forumed. All posts were one single listing and you could get a quick read of what was on people's mind. Only the reddit forum does that now. But one plus with this forum is the thumbs-down button. And it actually shows a down-vote rather than just subtracting from the up-vote. That is as rare as pulling into a gas station that has you pay after you pump (I know of one still in existence).
So I think there is a way for you to do this already:
  1. Go to the forums that are of interest to you and hit the "Watch" button at the top of the individual forum pages. Please note, there is a difference between following a thread and following a forum.
  2. Now that you have the forums that interest you watched, go to the New Posts feed, then click on the "Filters" dropdown menu on the right side, and select "Watched content". This will make it so that your "New Posts" feed shows only threads that you have watched, or threads that are in forums that you have watched.
  3. You can also select other filters like "Unread threads" which filters for threads with unread posts in them. Then, if you like, before hitting filter, you can select "Save as default" so that these filter selections are remembered for the next time you come back to "New Posts.
By doing the above, you can have a post feed that shows you a combined view of the new content from the forums and threads that are of interest to you. I think this should more or less cover what you miss about the Tesla Inc. forums.

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 4.48.17 PM.png
7EE5C4DB-D0FE-4E69-B519-4E876C15554D_1_201_a.jpeg

Were you looking at these at the same time on the two different devices? I ask this, because if there was even just a few minutes between, a bunch of new content may have been posted, thereby resulting in what looks like different content on your feed.

Were you looking at these at the same time on the two different devices? I ask this, because if there was even just a few minutes between, a bunch of new content may have been posted, thereby resulting in what looks like different content on your feed.

No, I was looking at both at the same time, switching back and forth (and refreshing), and they remained different.

No, I was looking at both at the same time, switching back and forth (and refreshing), and they remained different.

Welcome former Tesla forum users!

Dumb question: Were you logged in to TMC on both devices? I've had some times where I was logged in on one device but browsing anonymously on another, and they'd definitely show different content (as they should).

Bruce.

Welcome former Tesla forum users!

Dumb question: Were you logged in to TMC on both devices? I've had some times where I was logged in on one device but browsing anonymously on another, and they'd definitely show different content (as they should).

Bruce.

Not a dumb question, and yes, I was logged in on both devices. I don’t think the unread filter pictured in the screenshots is available unless you’re logged in.

Another forum oddity. In the screenshot below, there’s a separator that says the following threads have not been updated since my last visit. However, for some of those threads, the most recent post was definitely after my last visit. For example, my previous visit was yesterday, but some of those threads were updated earlier today. Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding how this feature works?

55811B19-FC2A-43A9-B1E0-1E69DC60595E.png

I, too, am an ex-Forum reader. I only posted twice before it was shut down. Regardless of the trolling and verbal jousting, I appreciated the knowledge and opinions shared.
I’m not only new to this forum, but to EVs as a whole and Tesla in particular. Please be kind if I happen to post in the wrong space.

Left there a long time ago. Got tired of the true cult followers that will make any excuse for Tesla, hope they don't show up here. I consider this a more level headed place.

As if there aren’t any Tesla cult followers here as well? No one here making excuses for Tesla? This is the biggest Tesla forum (that I know of at least).