Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exact benefit of 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While it's always good to have a good explanation of the numbers and how they translate to power and range, I wish there was more detail as to how their road load is calculated, and how things like wheel offset, wheel/tire weight, contact patch, and tire construction affect the road load. I know that is a lot of variables to handle, but it would be nice to understand what to expect if changing one of them when putting on different tires and/or wheels.

Reactions: Blue Stuff
While it's always good to have a good explanation of the numbers and how they translate to power and range, I wish there was more detail as to how their road load is calculated, and how things like wheel offset, wheel/tire weight, contact patch, and tire construction affect the road load. I know that is a lot of variables to handle, but it would be nice to understand what to expect if changing one of them when putting on different tires and/or wheels.
This is exactly why Tesla has a lot of engineers :) However, the simple answer is that most aftermarket wheels/tires will increase the road load in an effort to extract the best traction. The tire companies and automotive OEMs don't offer enough information for us to do the exact calculations, but I'm sure someone with a lot of time on their hands could build a vehicle dynamics simulation model that would be close.