Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exactly $63 more a month for MY"P", do it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My TSA just did numbers yesterday for my trade and turns out it's only $63 more a month to go Performance on a MY. Same color scheme. Same $0 down.

Just worried about those Ubers and our Toronto roads.

Any MYP peeps have any feedback ?

Have to decide today lol

I've not noticed that much difference once you're off the line when I was testing the M3 LR v P, I presume thats the same with the MY. That sudden extra jolt in the P just hurts my neck, a sure sign I'm getting older I guess.

But, if thats what you want, I'd do it. Even if it was like for like, getting a newer car means warranty, wear etc all get reset and that has a value.

Upvote 0
I've not noticed that much difference once you're off the line when I was testing the M3 LR v P, I presume thats the same with the MY. That sudden extra jolt in the P just hurts my neck, a sure sign I'm getting older I guess.

But, if thats what you want, I'd do it. Even if it was like for like, getting a newer car means warranty, wear etc all get reset and that has a value.

I’ve owned the model 3 LR (currently), the model 3 P, the LR Y and the performance Y so I’ll give you my insights

Firstly as above, comparing the LR 3 to the performance Y is similar feeling in acceleration, because the 3 is inherently more agile and peppy, It just feels faster. Comparing the LR Y to the performance Y there is quite a difference as the LR Y feels slower. compared to the 3. The MYP definitely has more pick up and is more responsive. It doesn’t feel like a different car, but there’s a difference

Ride quality on the MYP is definitely rough compared to the LR Y because of the 21s. Range is also lower (I found it to be quite significant as my 80% charge for only 380 km vs 420-430). Also I had 20s on my LR

I would definitely swap to 20s if I bought the MYP again.

My opinion… my preference between the 2 was the long range but the price gap between the performance is small now (it used to be like $9k) so I’d probably just get the P and swap wheels and that would likely resolve what I thought the shortfalls were

Reactions: blue_dragon
Upvote 0
Consider:
  1. Will you actually use the “performance” aspects after you get it out of your system in say 30-days?
  2. You will go through tires more quickly and replacements will cost more

A little further thought here: first, not sure if you've driven either/both, but the "regular" long range is already faster than a very good number of "fast" ICE vehicles available and honestly in daily driving should be plenty fast for just about anyone. I think other than showing off for friends, the points raised by @ATPMSD will come into play for daily driving, especially in the city.

And then there's that $63, which doesn't sound like a lot. How long is the car loan for? $63 a month is $756 a year, which still doesn't sound like a lot. But if your loan is for 5 years, that's $3,780. And if it's for 8 years, that's $6,048. Again, not sure how long your loan term is, @TezlaTO. Depending on your financial situation, this may or may not be a significant amount of money for you.

But let's consider the opportunity cost--what else could you do with that money while still having an extremely nice vehicle (LR MY)? Are you saving to buy a home? That's money toward your downpayment, so you can get the home faster. Do you already own a home and have a mortgage?--could you use the money to pay down your principal a bit and pay less interest to the bank and own your home outright just a little faster? Could you use the money for a vacation? Could you put the funds toward an RRSP or TFSA, reducing your payable income tax and saving for your future? Not sure how much you drive and what your charging situation is, but that could potentially pay for some/all of your "fuel" costs and/or replacement tires (because even the LR will chew through tires faster than you may be used to) for the duration of your loan term?

Anyway, sorry not trying to be a downer or tell you what to do just give you some more things to think about. Life's expensive!

EDIT: just noticed you said you had to decide "today", meaning 8 days ago. Sorry about that. What did you end up deciding??

Upvote 0
A little further thought here: first, not sure if you've driven either/both, but the "regular" long range is already faster than a very good number of "fast" ICE vehicles available and honestly in daily driving should be plenty fast for just about anyone. I think other than showing off for friends, the points raised by @ATPMSD will come into play for daily driving, especially in the city.

And then there's that $63, which doesn't sound like a lot. How long is the car loan for? $63 a month is $756 a year, which still doesn't sound like a lot. But if your loan is for 5 years, that's $3,780. And if it's for 8 years, that's $6,048. Again, not sure how long your loan term is, @TezlaTO. Depending on your financial situation, this may or may not be a significant amount of money for you.

But let's consider the opportunity cost--what else could you do with that money while still having an extremely nice vehicle (LR MY)? Are you saving to buy a home? That's money toward your downpayment, so you can get the home faster. Do you already own a home and have a mortgage?--could you use the money to pay down your principal a bit and pay less interest to the bank and own your home outright just a little faster? Could you use the money for a vacation? Could you put the funds toward an RRSP or TFSA, reducing your payable income tax and saving for your future? Not sure how much you drive and what your charging situation is, but that could potentially pay for some/all of your "fuel" costs and/or replacement tires (because even the LR will chew through tires faster than you may be used to) for the duration of your loan term?

Anyway, sorry not trying to be a downer or tell you what to do just give you some more things to think about. Life's expensive!

EDIT: just noticed you said you had to decide "today", meaning 8 days ago. Sorry about that. What did you end up deciding??
Decided on the LR for various reasons and couldn’t be happier!!

Thanks tho :)

1663626221664.jpeg

Upvote 0
@TezlaTO congrats, she's a beauty!!! They had one ready for you and you didn't have to wait? That's awesome.

Do you regret not getting that extra bit of acceleration? I know I sure don't.
No I ordered back in Feb. I just had the opportunity to upgrade to a P for Feb pricing but finally chose not to.

Very happy I didn’t .

Y is plenty quick enough and really, where the going in 3.5 in Toronto lol, no where with our “off-roading” roads

Thanks !

Upvote 0
No I ordered back in Feb. I just had the opportunity to upgrade to a P for Feb pricing but finally chose not to.

Very happy I didn’t .

Y is plenty quick enough and really, where the going in 3.5 in Toronto lol, no where with our “off-roading” roads

Thanks !

@TezlaTO ah that makes more sense. Glad you're happy with your choice. Cheers!

Reactions: TezlaTO
Upvote 0
I read thru and realize you got your car now but was gonna say I have a m3p for a year now and so far knock wood haven’t damaged the 20s and I drive all over GTA and have hit some potholes and drove through some rough streets with huge speed bumps (some are brick roads that make me feel like I’m off-roading)

I think it’s bad luck to hit a really big pothole at fast speeds to damage the rims

So far I slow down a lot or quick maneuver around the bigger potholes

Watch me just jinx myself now…

Upvote 0
oh oh, is it bad I'm regretting not grabbing the MY"P" 😣
I know I wrote $63 more but that was with the Induction Tires ($2600)

Have to keep reminding myself that it was just over $7,000 more! ✍️
Naw. I had this same thought when I got my LR. The more I drive it the less I think about the P. I rarely do full throttle acceleration anymore so it would be wasted. Also I figure if I get bored in a few years I can get the speed boost.

Upvote 0
Naw. I had this same thought when I got my LR. The more I drive it the less I think about the P. I rarely do full throttle acceleration anymore so it would be wasted. Also I figure if I get bored in a few years I can get the speed boost.
True to all that! Besides, year 4 I'm switching to whatever "Y" Elon has ............or maybe that truck thing will actually be out by then lol

Upvote 0
Decided on the LR for various reasons and couldn’t be happier!!

Thanks tho :)

View attachment 854432
Looks great. I'm waiting on my Blue MYLR (March order). I've gone back and forth in my head deciding if I should switch to MYP. So far I've resisted the urge mainly due to the extra cost of needing a 2nd set of wheel/tires and not having Chill mode available for winter driving (not that I really have winter where I live but I sometimes need to venture onto the mainland interior in winter).

One thing you can consider is the Acceleration Boost upgrade. From what I read that will bring the mid-range acceleration about equal to a MYP. It will only be the acceleration from a stop that will still be behind an MYP. Personally I find the mid-range acceleration more useful in normal driving. If I find the MYLR lacking (I doubt I will) then I'll do the AB upgrade.

Upvote 0
Looks great. I'm waiting on my Blue MYLR (March order). I've gone back and forth in my head deciding if I should switch to MYP. So far I've resisted the urge mainly due to the extra cost of needing a 2nd set of wheel/tires and not having Chill mode available for winter driving (not that I really have winter where I live but I sometimes need to venture onto the mainland interior in winter).

One thing you can consider is the Acceleration Boost upgrade. From what I read that will bring the mid-range acceleration about equal to a MYP. It will only be the acceleration from a stop that will still be behind an MYP. Personally I find the mid-range acceleration more useful in normal driving. If I find the MYLR lacking (I doubt I will) then I'll do the AB upgrade.

Blue is amazing! For me, best color and that was part of my debate for months. Came from a MSM M3 which was "ok" but not really a color for me.

Blue shined up is unreal.

And ya, the LR is plenty in my Toronto roads where you can't go over 30KPH anyway. The on-ramps are fun and plenty with the LR.

Already been over a few, sudden potholes where I could only imagine those Uberturbines crumbling had I got them.

Not going to do the AB as mentioned above, turning this one over in year 4.

When's your delivery (EDT) ?

Upvote 0
Blue is amazing! For me, best color and that was part of my debate for months. Came from a MSM M3 which was "ok" but not really a color for me.

Blue shined up is unreal.

And ya, the LR is plenty in my Toronto roads where you can't go over 30KPH anyway. The on-ramps are fun and plenty with the LR.

Already been over a few, sudden potholes where I could only imagine those Uberturbines crumbling had I got them.

Not going to do the AB as mentioned above, turning this one over in year 4.

When's your delivery (EDT) ?
My EDD is currently Oct 13- Nov 10. Was at Sep 28 - Nov 2 but changed this past Monday. March 11 order date. Hoping for sometime in October.

Reactions: TezlaTO
Upvote 0
If you get an LR over a P, you’ll regret not getting a P.

If you get a P over the LR, you may have trouble with rims/tires and eventually swap them out.

Which path do you want to take?
Your first line has officially stuck !

I do regret not upting to the P, especially when I could've gotten it for 85K ugh. For me it's the look of it, not so much the 0-60. Those Ubers and red Brembos.....
I find my Y just bubbly to look at.

And now its, what 93k and interest it sky high

Lesson.
Learned.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Upvote 0
Your first line has officially stuck !

I do regret not upting to the P, especially when I could've gotten it for 85K ugh. For me it's the look of it, not so much the 0-60. Those Ubers and red Brembos.....
I find my Y just bubbly to look at.

And now its, what 93k and interest it sky high

Lesson.
Learned.

Lol deep down you know what you wanted if the $7k back then ($63/m or $2/day was of no concern)

You were doing mental gymnastics to tell yourself it was ok with just LR

Unless you want to sell and pay more now, just forget the whole thing and drive the car like a commuter car

This is why everyone says if one has to debate internally, get the P or they will always regret

Let this message sink in for those on the fence now

Upvote 0