Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exactly How Strong is the Regen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All you need to do is not take your foot off the accelerator completely, and then you can adjust regen continuously between maximum and zero. Remember it's a linear control not a switch. I have maximum regen set but control the amount with accelerator all the time and almost never need brakes except for coming to a standstill. the beauty of it is that you can drive up a steep hill and then back down again and only use about 5-10% more energy than driving on level ground.
Well said. I try to teach people that the accelerator is not like a binary light switch ie on or off, but is rather like a volume control and entirely progressive. Most people then get it.

Tesla's regen isn't less than the LEAF, to put it mildly; where did that one come from? (I've driven both for tens of thousands of miles.)
This discussion is in regards to the 2018 LEAF which has much stronger regen, and one-pedal driving all the way to a stop.

One thing to keep in mind regarding the low speed regen in these cars, is that the LEAF and Bolt EV both use blended braking, whereas the Tesla cars don't. At low speed the LEAF and Bolt will gradually switch to friction braking to bring the car to a stop and in Teslas you have to use the brake pedal.

Reactions: VT_EE
So glad to read all this regen speculation based on charts.
Thought I'd have to do an actual test drive to see how I liked it.

Once you get used to regen, you will HATE, and I really do mean HATE driving a vehicle without it.

At a subconscious level it even makes driving in heavy stop start traffic (which we all hate) a bit more pleasurable, as all that deceleration energy is going back to the battery rather than just heating (and wearing) your brakes.

Cya

Reactions: JoeS and Brando
This discussion is in regards to the 2018 LEAF which has much stronger regen, and one-pedal driving all the way to a stop.

One thing to keep in mind regarding the low speed regen in these cars, is that the LEAF and Bolt EV both use blended braking, whereas the Tesla cars don't. At low speed the LEAF and Bolt will gradually switch to friction braking to bring the car to a stop and in Teslas you have to use the brake pedal.

I did a full weekend of driving, hundreds of kilometres in a 2017 model S 100D on everything from quiet country and city roads to very heavy and at times stop/start freeway traffic. If you turn "creep" off in the Model S, you don't need to use the brake pedal at all to pull up (obviously excepting for a hard stop.)

Cya

My wife is very sensitive to back and forth acceleration when she is a passenger. I suspect strong regen with TACC on would have her hanging out the window. Having regen-only initial braking, on the other hand, makes sense and should only be limited by hardware.

It's like taking your foot off the accelerator pedal on a gas car. It slows down. It does NOT throw you through the window. I am assuming your wife has been in a gas car before, slowing to a stop. Also, as you have read, it is controllable with your foot. I guess we could compare it to the brake pedal: Full on is disconcerting.

Tesla currently has 2 settings for regen (low and standard). I'd like to see a least one more setting above that (low, standard, high) and ideally, just give me a slider with high on one side, low on the other with standard somewhere in the middle. I'd like high to be 10% or 20% more than standard it is now. Then you could just find your preference. Telsa could deliver the car with the slider set to standard. Then the regen fans could dial it up because they can handle it ;)

Tesla currently has 2 settings for regen (low and standard). I'd like to see a least one more setting above that (low, standard, high) and ideally, just give me a slider with high on one side, low on the other with standard somewhere in the middle. I'd like high to be 10% or 20% more than standard it is now. Then you could just find your preference. Telsa could deliver the car with the slider set to standard. Then the regen fans could dial it up because they can handle it ;)

I TOTALLY agree.
More settings, preferably a minimum of three but infinite via a slider would be better still.

Pleeeaaase Mr Tesla!

I often change the settings (with 5 available via flappy paddle) for different roads in our PHEV. What suits one road, is not so nice on a different style of road, or driving.

Reactions: Oil Freedom

I strongly agree too!

My 2011 LEAF has two regen/performance/power settings: Regular Drive (default) and Eco. The regen in Eco is good, but the regular Drive is too weak. I'd like there to be an option for even more regen (throw on the brake lights if needed when I take my foot off the power pedal). I always drive in Eco (mostly for the better regen) but unfortunately you can't set it to be the default, so I've always got to put the car into Eco mode each time I turn the car on.

It would be great if Tesla had a selectable and really wide range of regen available to meet everyone's preference. It should stay on your preferred setting from drive to drive until you change it.

More regen = easier driving (much less foot action between pedals) and less wear on the conventional brakes.

I'm so used to having regen and really prefer it, that I truly miss it in ICE rental cars (among a long list of other things I prefer about driving electric).

Tesla-Model-3-Chevrolet-Bolt-EV-Nissan-LEAF-SL-one-pedal-wonder.jpg

The Automobile 2.0: Chevrolet Bolt EV vs Nissan Leaf vs Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Motor Trend
I strongly agree too!
My 2011 LEAF has two regen/performance/power settings: Regular Drive (default) and Eco. The regen in Eco is good, but the regular Drive is too weak. I'd like there to be an option for even more regen (throw on the brake lights if needed when I take my foot off the power pedal). I always drive in Eco (mostly for the better regen) but unfortunately you can't set it to be the default, so I've always got to put the car into Eco mode each time I turn the car on.
<snip>

It appears that the Model 3 is 'Low' or High'. For those wanting strong regen why not send their support an email and ask them to pass it on?!? And/Or Tweet @elonmusk. Some version of the below perhaps.
>>
Why not have more control over Model 3 regen? (addition Max regen). One of the most common complaints when comparing to some other EVs (Bolt, LEAF, etc)
Virtually all the discussions, articles, podcast, interviews, etc with Model 3 owners and reviewers about regen that have also driven the Bolt talk about how much better (more) they appreciate the Bolts stronger level. Why not add another option to the Model 3? Low, High, & 'Max' (or 'Aggressive')
<<<

I can't speak to the 3 but my Model S will easily decelerate on regen going down a 14% grade unless the regen is limited due to a cold battery (which happens a lot this time of the year). I will point out that the regen amount — 0 to 60 kW — is speed dependent, with higher regen available at higher speeds. FWIW.
Technically it's kinetic energy dependent. On level ground, this equates to being speed dependent.

But it's possible to generate more regen at a given speed going down a grade than you would at that same speed on level ground. Or heck you can even generate more regen at a slower speed if the grade is sufficient.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I think the last few posts are pure speculation. While AWD does offer more regen, theoretically, can ANYONE offer a shread of evidence that any Tesla AWD car has more regen than the RWD counterpart?

The release notes for one firmware update actually included increased regen for some models, and the discussion afterward here seemed to agree that it was for AWD models. I know that I didn't notice any change after that on my RWD S whereas a friend with an AWD car did.

Having driven a vehicle with blended brakes, it is smooth and easy.... On the other hand, as someone who wants to maximize efficiency, not knowing how hard I can brake only using regenerative capability is frustrating and fully rectified by the way tesla does it..... Tesla's method also has the added benefit of allowing the driver to know when and how to occasionally use the friction brakes to maintain that system.

• Love
Reactions: dgpcolorado
I notice that drivers like access to lots of regeneration, but passengers hate it.

Passengers complaining about regen seems odd to me since pressing the brake pedal can slow the car more aggressively than regen. Do your passengers also hate it when you apply the brakes? Maybe they just prefer accidents, because I think regen is gentler than braking. I might select different passengers or make duct tape available in case they complain about (of all things) regen. ;) "Sit down, shut up, and hold on!"

• Funny
Reactions: davedavedave
Thanks to a generous colleague who got his M3 last week, I finally got to drive a M3! I'm very happy to report that its regen is better (read: stronger) than my 2011 LEAF in Eco mode (its stronger regen setting). From everything I had read, and the fact that the LEAF is front wheel drive vs. rear wheel drive, I had been a little bummed that regen might be a little weaker in the M3. NOPE!!!

The M3's regen is wonderfully more pronounced and at the perfect level -- just what I wanted. It's also really smooth and easy to modulate via the power pedal. Getting to adjust it via the user interface would be ideal to match different driver preferences, but I'm very pleased with the regen as-is. The M3's better regen vs. the LEAF's probably is partly due to the M3's larger motor.

More and better one pedal here I come!!!

• Helpful
Reactions: insaneoctane
You already have a continuous setting, it's called the accelerator pedal. Back off slowly and get very little regen, back off fast and you get a lot.

I did a full weekend of driving, hundreds of kilometres in a 2017 model S 100D on everything from quiet country and city roads to very heavy and at times stop/start freeway traffic. If you turn "creep" off in the Model S, you don't need to use the brake pedal at all to pull up (obviously excepting for a hard stop.)

Cya
We have a 550m high hill near our place that has lovely winding roads though beautiful country. The road to the top is about 30km.
I drove up there and noted that my average usage was around 240whr per km. After a a nice coffee at the top I drove back down the same way. The total trip average was 170Whr per km which is the same as my normal off peak commute to work and back with much less gradient. Why on earth would you want less regen? How could you have more? Basically it is between 95% and 100% efficient. Several dozen trips will be needed to determine the average number to greater accuracy.