TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Examples of "soul sucking" traffic?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GolanB, May 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GolanB

GolanB Supporting Member

Average of 6 mph on my morning commute through NYC.

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 10.38.10 AM.png

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Runebane

Runebane Member

I didn't record it, but wife and I took a trip to LA to visit her friends. Since we were going Friday, I told her all I want is to leave before 11am so we didn't hit LA Rush hour. We left at 11:45am and spent an hour going 20ish miles. Honestly, with the 3 it wasn't so bad. But then again, it was a one off as I try my hardest not to hit rush hour there. If I had to do that every day, it'd probably end up sucking my soul.

3. Joshan

Joshan Member

11 am is rush hour?

4. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

Whoa! The headline here should be: Devo covered Hendrix! Whaaaat? I grew up then and I never knew that.:)

• Love x 1
  5. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

In LA rush hours starts at 4:30am and ends around 10pm.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 1
  6. Runebane

Runebane Member

I should have elaborated. If we leave after 11am we will hit LA at rush hour. it's technically only 3.5 hours away, but we usually make a few stops (lunch, pee breaks etc..) along the way. so it ends up being closer to a 4.5 - 5 hour drive. LA rush "hour" usually from 3-6(?) Not quite sure when it truly ends there as again, I try never to get there that late :p But we ended up getting to LA at 4:30 that day.

7. Joshan

Joshan Member

That makes more sense, I was a bit confused. I knew Cali traffic is bad but 11am Rush Hour would be CRAZY! haha

8. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Don't leave out there is usually construction between 10:00 pm and 4:30 am so travel will be slowed at those times.

9. ALSETJC

ALSETJC Member

Can I join in with Toronto traffic ! So happy to share soul sucking traffic with others.

• Like x 1
  10. AmandaC

AmandaC Member

I was just going to mention Toronto! Worst congestion in North America. I reverse commute (live downtown-ish, work on the outskirts) so it’s better than most! 30 km by highways or 24 km surface roads. Typically takes an hour in the evening, but Monday took 1:20.

It’s much less painful in the 3 than with my old stick shift though!

• Like x 1
  11. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

No lie. It seems the freeways are constantly under construction.

And what sucks even more is there is no viable alternative route if you are driving from NorCal to somewhere south of LA. You must go through LA.

• Like x 1
  12. Nate977p

Nate977p Member

Not quite 6 mph, but about 8.5mph in Boston right now :)

13. dmurphy

dmurphy EV: Converted.

That’s why I can’t fathom living on the east side of the Hudson.

I’m about 25 miles due west of your destination, where we have grass, and trees, and birds chirping and, well, traffic that moves. :)

14. Nate977p

Nate977p Member

Now I got now to where you were . 6.6 mph....

Woot Boston traffic! Worst in country now, 8th worst in the world

Source: INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard

20190517_145747.jpg

15. RedModel3

RedModel3 Member

Nashlanta. Nashvegas, whatever you want to call it. We have essentially no mass transit, and about a million NASCAR-wannabes. It's always rush hour, with road construction. And save money for tires. I had to buy two new tires in three months due to nails and screws from all the construction.

16. GoSharks

GoSharks Member

Any “global” list that doesn’t include any Asian countries (notably China) is flat out wrong.

17. Nate977p

Nate977p Member

Good catch, didn't realize that list is pretty limited to just 38 countries.

18. AmandaC

AmandaC Member

...and I stand corrected. Toronto is worst in NA when combining both car and transit use.

Source: The Best and Worst Cities for Commuting

19. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Active Member

Living in Stafford VA, commuting to Arlington VA or downtown DC.

40 mile trip 1 way. If I hit it during rush hour it would take me 2 hours...each way. Bumper to bumper almost the entire drive, every...single....day. My last day commuting before relocating there was an accident, took me 4 hours to get home.

Here in KC I live in the suburbs and work downtown. People ask me how I can deal with the traffic on my commute. 25 miles...if I leave my house at 8 it can take me 45 minutes, an hour if there is an accident. Leaving at 9 means a 30 minute commute, leaving at 7 is the same. I always say "what traffic?".

• Like x 1
  20. AcesUp

AcesUp Member

Wait, You can afford to park a a car in Manhattan?

• Funny x 1