Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Examples of "soul sucking" traffic?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GolanB

Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2018
NYC
Average of 6 mph on my morning commute through NYC.

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 10.38.10 AM.png

I didn't record it, but wife and I took a trip to LA to visit her friends. Since we were going Friday, I told her all I want is to leave before 11am so we didn't hit LA Rush hour. We left at 11:45am and spent an hour going 20ish miles. Honestly, with the 3 it wasn't so bad. But then again, it was a one off as I try my hardest not to hit rush hour there. If I had to do that every day, it'd probably end up sucking my soul.

11 am is rush hour?

I should have elaborated. If we leave after 11am we will hit LA at rush hour. it's technically only 3.5 hours away, but we usually make a few stops (lunch, pee breaks etc..) along the way. so it ends up being closer to a 4.5 - 5 hour drive. LA rush "hour" usually from 3-6(?) Not quite sure when it truly ends there as again, I try never to get there that late :p But we ended up getting to LA at 4:30 that day.

I was just going to mention Toronto! Worst congestion in North America. I reverse commute (live downtown-ish, work on the outskirts) so it’s better than most! 30 km by highways or 24 km surface roads. Typically takes an hour in the evening, but Monday took 1:20.

It’s much less painful in the 3 than with my old stick shift though!

Reactions: McFlurri
Nashlanta. Nashvegas, whatever you want to call it. We have essentially no mass transit, and about a million NASCAR-wannabes. It's always rush hour, with road construction. And save money for tires. I had to buy two new tires in three months due to nails and screws from all the construction.

Living in Stafford VA, commuting to Arlington VA or downtown DC.

40 mile trip 1 way. If I hit it during rush hour it would take me 2 hours...each way. Bumper to bumper almost the entire drive, every...single....day. My last day commuting before relocating there was an accident, took me 4 hours to get home.

Here in KC I live in the suburbs and work downtown. People ask me how I can deal with the traffic on my commute. 25 miles...if I leave my house at 8 it can take me 45 minutes, an hour if there is an accident. Leaving at 9 means a 30 minute commute, leaving at 7 is the same. I always say "what traffic?".

Reactions: Needsdecaf